Browns Bay Reports?

That's helpful news FBC ;p

Ok. Here's what has worked there for me.. Fishing the wall following the 130 foot contour from the leaning tree to the white rock... As you progress there is a reef where it comes up quite quickly and you have to swing out, and back in, stay in the 130 foot range around the reef / ledge and follow the contour. It's a strike zone. Staying on the 130 is a pain when there's alot of boats there, but for the majority of the 130 you're very close to shore. I fish 88 feet down, to 98 feet down in the 130 mark using green flashers with anchovies and blue teaser heads. Do this and it won't be long before a spring strikes. Just keep repeating the path from leaning tree to white rock. green hootchies with a little yellow also seems to work. If the sharks are in try speeding up your troll just a tiny bit, and you'll mostly avoid them. On the 130 path you can hit springs, coho, and 40 - 70 you will hit pinks, and maybe the odd sockeye. If you're inexperienced stay away from Cannon ball alley... can lose your balls very quickly.. but if you're out a ways from the cliff face near cannon ball alley you can hit springs in 500 feet of water with your rigging still down at the 88 feet. If you're headed for a full day I recommend at least bringing 3 packs of anchovies.. possibly four, as you'll get many hit and strips... bring multiple flashers and lots of teaser heads.. it's a bad place to lose all your gear, and then watch the bite come on for others. I see alot of boats fishing out further in the 160 to 280 foot range. The springs aren't holding there, and it's sheer luck if you hit one out there. They're far closer to shore. Also please be courteous and follow the tack of those who are fishing that line.. ease your way into the pattern..I have been watching people zig zagging all over trying to figure out how some of us are catching fish. Makes for a nightmare when there's 40 boats out there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah... They're the worst for cutting one off, zig zagging, and being a general pain all around, and you'd think they'd be the ones, who would know the ropes, be courteous as they would also expect, and try not to be such a pita given that their little boats are..... well very little..... I'm surprised to have not seen some collisions yet.

Plumper Bay on the ebb is stacked with pinks. three of us got a limit in 2 hrs. and we were slow compared to others. Biggest fish 7 lbs, smallest 3 lbs. OBMG had a few boats out, and they played fair. No pushing or crowding. very enjoyable morning. The smoker will be working tomorrow. We found the best depth was 70ft, but there was surface action too.

fished browns, deepwater today only one pink and one sockeye. Missed the morning bite so what do you expect. Great day with awesome weather.

was out in bb last two days in a blue and white tinner prolly saw us drinkin and playin techno lol but we did good still lots of pinks around and got a few sox to

I saw you Scalper. lol. Aluminum Center Console. We did ok. Camped out there all weekend, just got home today. Nothing monstrous for us, but we did put 5 keeper springs in the boat, and a few pinks by accident over the weekend. Had one really good hit, and saw an OBMG guide bring in a 20 something for a guest.

chinook.jpg

The killer whales were out and about at the north side of the narrows both last night, and the night before around 11:30 pm

next time make sure u say hi fishbc glad u hooked into some springs we werent targeting them cause we had already been to the alberni inlet for a few days , thinking of comming back out for the chums they usually hold in that boundry bay or right around the corner from bb?

Yeah all over in there, from what I understand.
I may go back out there this week. I nailed most of my springs "North" of the wall this time, about 1/4 mile further up.

Probably the lighting. That one actually went back. Just laid down for a minute for a quick photo.
It was one of the smaller ones. We only kept the one we were going to eat. We were camping with no plans to head to town, so didn't want fish sitting in the cooler for days.

In total there was 5 keepers Owen. Only kept one. This one was a 24" so an inch short, and it went back to be found another day. The other five were all keepers but I only kept the one that wasn't too bad size.. Didn't weigh it but was probably low to mid teens. I spent three days looking for the "big" one, with no luck. They are there, but I've yet to boat a huge one at browns. I did notice FogDucker has been on the board there with quite a few over 30. Good show. I have not changed what or how I am fishing one bit. Green flasher, anchovie, gear at 88 feet, and water depth 130. The big one the OMBG guy hit was right in front of me, on that exact line.
There are quite a few undersized floating around too. Lost quite a few at the boat as well, but still nothing over the teens in Browns for me yet.
The bite seemed to happen first light, then about 1-3 o clock, and the last few hours before dark, but the tides were a bit weak, and only on the Monday did a decent tide come through in the evening, or at least it seemed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you guys find your springs have a fair number of parasites on them? .. You can see them in the photo here. I only had one that was clean of anything that I could tell.

Back