Brown's Bay

IronNoggin

Thinking it is overdue to celebrate Steelheader's (Dennis D) bringing myself and many others into the Brown's Bay Chum Derby.
He was a hell of a fine Gentleman, and is sincerely missed.
Taken FAR too early.

Many fond memories from the rivers, but the one thing that united a bunch of us was that chum derby he insisted we attend.
And attend for many years we did.

So this year, I will be attending again with many of his friends, a celebration of sorts.
Hope to see some familiar faces there...
October 20 - 23 - Brown's Bay.

Charity Chum Derby​

Chums Derby
Date: October 20-22, 2023

Description: The 21st annual Charity Chum Derby is an event not to be missed! This three-day event starts on Friday night with registration upon arrival. After you have unpacked, enjoy the live entertainment in our fully-heated entertainment tent located in the marina parking lot. Saturday Morning, the fishing starts. After the day of fishing, make sure you stop by the tent again to see the second night of live entertainment. Sunday is only a half-day of fishing.
The final awards ceremony is hosted in the entertainment tent where cash prizes are given to the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd largest fish, amongst others. Didn’t catch the big one, no problem, there are lots of donated door prizes for you to win! We are extremely proud that we have raised more than $170.000 at this event benefiting the Greenways Land Trust. This event is a must! However, book early as we always sell out!

Contact us with any questions you have about our upcoming Resort events on Vancouver Island, British Columbia.

I will Always remember that Night. We were at the firepit and Osama and Kevin had a truck load of scallops that we cooked on the fire. Kevin backed his truck over that hill. Osama told Copper all about his grow-op. And can ever forget the Chum Dumpster.

I will Always remember that Night. We were at the firepit and Osama and Kevin had a truck load of scallops that we cooked on the fire. Kevin backed his truck over that hill. Osama told Copper all about his grow-op. And can ever forget the Chum Dumpster.
why no one has posted “ the pic” yet is beyond me!

I used to own one of those Rivers Inlet boats. built by Blair and his son Kevin Mclean i believe.

My buddy was so freaked out he wouldn't fish anywhere near them because he thought they would jump in your boat. You troll so slow and we were right in the pack of other boats. First 2 years we did the camper thing and after that we rented the suite behind the office. Those early years were some of the best times, End of season fish with the true diehards and hardcore fisherman. Just about always rained and those nights around the fire were always entertaining.

My buddy was so freaked out he wouldn't fish anywhere near them because he thought they would jump in your boat. You troll so slow and we were right in the pack of other boats. First 2 years we did the camper thing and after that we rented the suite behind the office. Those early years were some of the best times, End of season fish with the true diehards and hardcore fisherman. Just about always rained and those nights around the fire were always entertaining.
question: do you think chum would take a jig? presented slowly?

question: do you think chum would take a jig? presented slowly?
First time I fished Chum's there at Browns, I rolled anchovies because I didn't know any better. Caught a few chums so I think they would take a jig. Maybe not the most effective way to fish for them mind you.

What an iconic pic. Is there a picture on this forum that rivals this one for notoriety?
I remember the owners that ran the derby were super choked about that picture and that the derby was referred to as the SportfinhingBC derby by many. Only because that was a large portion of the people there.

First time I fished Chum's there at Browns, I rolled anchovies because I didn't know any better. Caught a few chums so I think they would take a jig. Maybe not the most effective way to fish for them mind you.
thanks. i just hate trolling for chum. trolling for chum. what an ugly sentence. GAH

LOL, too funny. Kevin lived across the street from me at the time as well. I was "Copper". Copper 2 was with me as well. Poor Kevin, his good times caught up to him in the end. Those scallops sure were good.

I remember Kevins truck lights pointing to the moon and Osama Taking pictures and Kevin saying it wasn't cool because it was his work truck. Lol. If I remember right, it was Kevin who really got most of us there because he posted it here and rallied the troops. So a big thanks to him. RIP Kevin

I remember the owners that ran the derby were super choked about that picture and that the derby was referred to as the SportfinhingBC derby by many. Only because that was a large portion of the people there.

Looking for a seat for an accomplished angler of my age...

Hoping someone can help as we are already overloaded...
Thanks for posting this for me Matt. Yes, I'm looking for a seat somewhere as all I do it Kayak and fly fish now, no guiding or chartering for me. I remember giving away over 50 pre tied hoochies for that event. So much fun!

Thanks for posting this for me Matt. Yes, I'm looking for a seat somewhere as all I do it Kayak and fly fish now, no guiding or chartering for me. I remember giving away over 50 pre tied hoochies for that event. So much fun!
I recall someone who knew what they were doing in those early years giving away hootchies. Can't recall the persons name but I believe they lived in the Comox area. Would that be you? If so, thanks very much.

Back