Browns Bay Reports?

Yeah, on the flood - Sat morn from 8-12 for us was slow but we had too short of leaders (used our sockeye gear).Sat morn for our friends was okay (they had longer leaders)
Sun, flood was earlier than Sat and we re-tied our gear. fished from 8-10 - caught our limit by then.
Mon it was low and slow

Our leaders were at least 30" long - saw some being caught with longer leaders.
Black and pink squirts outfished our other lures (pink hooch, googly eye)

Sat, boats were concentrated around the point, we moved away from them and got into them thick. We didn't catch fish in the "pack" so don't feel like you have to be in the "group" to get them.

Also - we went slow... real slow... and we actually caught a lot when my motor stalled and we started it again. Put it in neutral a few times, waited for lines to become straight and put it in gear and after a few seconds we had one on. This worked a few times - thanks Smiley for that tip.

Not big fish but the last one of the day Sat popped the pin and was a 15lb'r

What worked for me was the flood deepwater... Both days that were "insane" bites out there were sunny, so it may certainly be a factor. Going to give it a whirl with my biz partner tomm. Will report back.
On the ebb people tend to set up in plumper.

Over the years it's clear they prefer high pressure. It's weird though that when I think of chum fishing I think of torrential rain and 100kmh winds.

forgot, this is too funny to not post

The set up:
put engine in neutral until DR lines are vertical or close to it, you gotta be patient and be pointing into the current nicely - or you'll do a spinorama, have patience because it'll feel like 10 minutes but only takes about 10 seconds, then put it back in gear as slowly as you can go.
The funny part:
once you are in gear again start counting OUT LOUD steamboats, thousands, or Mississippis or whatever. When you get to 15 point at a rod and tell your partners that you think it is about to be hit.
Chances are very good that you'll be right and freak them out! At one point on Sunday I did this 3 times in a row, the guests thought that I was psychic LOL. It does help if instead of pointing at 1 specific rod you point at a side and say, "That one."

As for the tides, we'll be considering that at the derby but the reality is that we'll simply be on the water until fuel needs replenishing. Who is gonna pull the short straw to be the DD each day???

Smiley.

Smiley, that's funny, will have to try the point to the side thing.
Not sure I mentioned but thanks all for the tips and reports.
Hope to get out in the water when time allows.
GLG

The next siene opening is thursday oct 17
Gillnets...
Gill Nets open for 41 hours from 16:00 hours Wednesday, October 12 to 09:00
hours Friday, October 14

I bet they are releaseing WILD coho...

Last edited by a moderator:
I have heard from reliable sources that DFO have trained non retention salmon to avoid the nets. Those guys are miracle workers working for us!

I counted at least 15 "seines" headed just north, and a few sitting in plumper, and deepwater.

Not looking good if they're going to sweep as it appeared they were setting up for.

I don't see any openings for seine posted on DFO, ?? there is trolling, allowed.

there are seine openings near bella bella. maybe its them??

I don't see any openings for seine posted on DFO, ?? there is trolling, allowed.

there are seine openings near bella bella. maybe its them??
There is a seine opening Oct 17 for the BB area. Maybe the are just positioning early since it is a free for all style opening for a limited time, and not quota.

Man, I'm heading out for the first trip this Sunday. Guess I'll have missed the best of it then. BLAST! Oh well, I'll still give it a rub, and impliment what I've gleaned here. Basically, go slow and use 30" leaders.

Caught our limit in 2 hours of being on the water. 30" leader and green flasher. There might be a few less fish due to the commercial opening but I'm going to give it a shot again anyway.

seine opening,

Areas 12 & 13

Area 12 (Upper Johnstone Strait)
Seines open for 10 hours from 08:00 hours Monday, October 17 to 18:00 hours
Monday, October 17 in Subareas 12-1 to 12-6, 12-8 to 12-12, a portion of 12-18
lying east of a line running from Lewis Point to Donegal Head on Malcolm
Island, 12-20, 12-21 and 12-24. Minimum bunt mesh size 100 mm. The regular
Adams River boundary will be in effect. The seine ribbon boundary will not be
in effect.

Variation Order No. 2011-CR-SN-076

Area 13 (Lower Johnstone Strait)
Seines open for 10 hours from 08:00 hours Monday, October 17 to 18:00 hours
Monday, October 17 in Subareas 13-6, 13-7 (excluding Deepwater Bay), 13-8 to 13-
10, a portion of 13-11 lying west of a line from Bodega Point on Quadra Island
to a boundary sign at 50 degrees 16.390 minutes N by 125 degrees 22.620 minutes
W, 13-27 to 13-32, 13-35 and a portion of 13-40 lying west of a line running
from the Prominent Point approximately 1.5 miles east of Eden Point across to a
boundary sign on the Hardwicke Island shore opposite. Minimum bunt mesh size
100 mm. The regular Amor de Cosmos Creek boundary will be in effect, as defined
as those waters surrounding the mouth of Amor de Cosmos Creek inside the radius
of a circle 337 m in diameter intersecting the shoreline at 50°21.867' N and
125°47.171' W [east of the creek mouth] and 50°21.658' N and 125°41.630' W
[west of the creek mouth]). The seine ribbon boundary will not be in effect.

Variation Order No. 2011-CR-SN-077

No further Area B seine fishing opportunities in Johnstone Strait are planned
at this time.

Am I reading this correctly...a known well established derby bringing many dollars into CR is going to be affected by a commie opening???
WTH? What is wrong with an opening before or after as happened with the AV derby?
I might have to buy and sport a certain sticker soon.
Smiley.

Smiley,, there should be lots of fish showing up after the seine opening. Four days is enough time for the fish to start showing up in the Deep Water, Browns Bay area. For once DFO is doing something right. ......BB

Totally agree BB. I hope this is a consideration by dfo for the derby, as they have screwed it up in previous years. eman

Reread the notice. It is only for the Monday, so you're right, fish should be shwoing up again by Saturday!
Smiley.

Back