Browns Bay Chum Derby See You There!

I would love to attend but my friend with the boat can't make it. Does anyone have a spare seat in their boat? I have all my own gear and will of course pay for my share of all the expences. I would really love one last salmon fishing oppurtunity this season. I have gotten out more this year than any other and it's been really great.

I am an experienced derby fisherman, with a few prize fish under my belt. If anyone would take my up on the offer please contact me.

Peter Crowe
email no_5supersize@hotmail.com
or call 250-475-7317 (evening)
or 1-877-384-1152 Ext: 241 (days)

Thanks!

There are 2 things to watch for, On the ebb tide with a north wind it can get nasty north of browns bay. Secondly, when the tide is on a flood fishing the point of Plumber bay(directly across from Browns bay) and seperation head(point at deep water bay) the current gets stromg enough that it will impede forward progress and make it pointless for catching fish.
The weather is going to be great, and hopefully i will see you out there.
Most people are fishing plumper and deepwater.

Dragonbait,

I was out to Brown's Bay for the first time this week, straight forward launch and marina, no hazards that I could see. Get yourself the chart of the area and watch the narrows to the south as there is a strong current through there and you wouldn't want to loose power while navigating it. I'm sure the others on this forum will have better advice for you.

Scooter

PS - The road to Brown's Bay is 5km of washboard gravel [B)] so go slow, and secure your gear on the boat...I bounced a 15lb downrigger ball off it's holder onto my floor[V]

Salmonkiller01 I do not agree with you on the rips. Chum like fast moving water some of my best fishing is in a strong enough current that I am not moving or having to back troll, letting the tide work the gear. ;)

Cheers Kev

Only 8 days for most and 10 days til Derby Time!

They are changing some of the moorage slip numbers so I will post them on Monday.

As for derby tickets anyone who booked through me there tickets are being held at the dock.

For those arriving with moorage reservations after 6pm on Thursday or Friday Night you can launch your boat put it in your slip and pay for moorage and pick up your derby tickets the following morning.

If you forget your slip number I will have the list of campsites and slip numbers and I am arriving on Thursday around NOON. I will be staying in Ripple Rock RV Park in a 29' Trailer first site past the Octagon Clubhouse. Happy hours from 7 till ? at the trailer for those showing up early.

Remember bring in what you need as the closest store is about 10 minutes away Beer and wine 20 minutes away.

You will have approx 8km of washboard gravel road into Browns Bay go slow and you'll be fine.

When launching or retrieving the boat at Browns Bay watch out on both sides of the ramp there are under water are concrete blocks that love to eat props. Approach straight in or straight out from the ramp and your fine.

For those with prizes for the derby within the derby bring them with you and get them to me ASAP after you arrive Thanks! Over $2000.00 in prizes already collected!:D

Thats It For Now
Cheers Kev

I have been reading this thread about this chum derby and it souds like a good time.I have never fished the area and was wondering if they have cabin rentals at the marina or with in a short distance.It would be nice to be within walking distance of everything.I won't be able to make it this year but it's something i would like to look into for next year.

7 Sleeps Till Thursday and Early Bird Festivities Begin. ;) ?????

8 Sleeps Till The Real Fun Begins For All Those Attending! :D

9 Sleeps till derby Time! [:p]

2006 2nd Annual Chumfest / Browns Bay Derby An Event You Will Never Forget! [8D]

Cheers ME

Hold on there Kev it's goimg to be OK. Don't Have a run away on us! We all need you around for a while yet:D

Kevin sounds like a little kid at Christmas.

I have to say that I'm just a tad bit excited as well.

Lets See: First real time off from work in over 12 months. I get to see many friends I haven't seen in a long time. I get to enjoy the rewards for all the hard work that has gone into planning this event. I get to fish for four days straight. You bet I'm excited.;)

Cheers Kev

My Escape,
Not sure if you’re still keeping track but you can add myself and three others to your list. I have reserved the tickets and moorage at the marina.
Salty
p.s sorry in advance that my buddy and I had to bring are girl friends.

Thats your problem not mine.:D Just kidding. ;) See ya at the Meet and Greet. Glad to hear your attending. You and your guests are more then welcome to attend the Dinner on Saturday Night also.

Cheers Kev

Hello, everyone!
Last year there was a bigger (23ft?) beige FG boat (Searay?) that fished the whole derby with 6 rods out. WOW! We watched for but never saw this boat get their gear tangled up, even in the rips at Greensea.
So far this year I have spent close to 30 hours near Brown Bay chasing chum and have kept my eyes OPEN!
My wife pointed out that the Oak Bay Whalers most often run just 2 rods.
Last weekend there was a boat called Double Dippin with a camera crew in it and they were getting hit after hit after hit with just 2 rods out.
What are your thoughts on the optimum number of rods to run for chum?
I also notice that Double Dippin and the Oak Bay boats do not use dummy flashers.

The Sea Ray is Iron Noggins 27' Dream Weaver and yes he runs 6 rods.

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c194/KLench/Fishing Adventures/CAPTIAN_CHAOS.jpg

I have a 17' and run 4 rods and 2 dummy flashers. The thing you have to remember about chum is they are like sockeye they run in schools and are attracted to flash. I run dummy flashers at the cannon balls 7' out from the wire then up 12 feet to the first rod 7' out off the D/R clip then up another 12' to my next rod again 7' off the clip both sides off the boat the same making a wall behind the boat. I won't say I don't get gear wrapped up but not often because I keep the gear in tight to the boat and at times am passing rod over rod or rod under rod to avoid tangles when fighting fish. I run green plaid, purple haze, coho special and orange flashers in no paticular order. This set up rocks on my boat and quite a few others. I am not saying other set ups don't work but this works the best for me and it's a blast when all four rods hook up which does happen.

Here's a pic of my setup fishing for sockeye just like I fish for chum

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c194/KLench/Fishing Adventures/MyEscapeSox.jpg

Here's a pic of Steelheader Boat the Second Place Winner in the Chum Derby last year.

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c194/KLench/Fishing Adventures/FishOnChumDerby.jpg

Cheers ME

Nogs boat gets bigger and bigger every year[:0]
Going Warp Speed may stretch it bit, I guess, but how long will it get before the hull is paper thin?
Didn't Dream Weaver start out as a 16 foot runabout and a really bad song??[:p][:p][:p][:p]
Kevin's setup is what most are going to but running two rods with a set of ghost flashers with two NOVICE anglers is what the Painters Pylons will most likely go to.
Saves the guide alot on replacing gear which they have to supply themselves.

6 Rods! No Tangles! No Gurdies?, 24 foot searay. Thats most impressive stuff.

Sounds like you fellas are going to have a blast. Maybe next year Maddog will get up to Browns with a few of the south Island Crew for a session of Dog Swackin. Should be a good year judging by the size and quantity of the Chum in Sooke waters as of late.

quote:Originally posted by blueorca

Nogs boat gets bigger and bigger every year[:0]
Going Warp Speed may stretch it bit, I guess, but how long will it get before the hull is paper thin?

LOL! :D Good One Paul!!

To take away any confusion:
The Dream Weaver is a 240 Series Weekender Sea Ray. Most harbours see the "240" clearly on her side, and book me in at 24 feet! Sweet! [^]
Run a tape from stem to stern and she's 25 bang on. Add in the swim grid for another 2 feet, and of course when the 20 hp Yammy kicker is up, nearly another foot to that. Need at minimum 27 feet to adequately park.
As for light speed, I took the stainless speed prop off this year, and went to a wider and slower pitch set of blades. With the speed prop she'd approach mid-forties, with the push prop now installed, that drops to ~ 32 or so. Carries the "heavies" a little easier now though ;)

And aYup, that was us running six rods for the duration of the Derby. And luck was indeed with us in that no tangles were realized. Likely due to the experience with this set-up amongst my crew, as we employ the same for sockeye fishing. Will be running the same this year of course!

Kev's exactly right, these fish are much like sockeye, and love a LOT of flash and glitter! I run one false or dummy flasher off the cannonball, so with 3 blades above that each side, have 8 flashers down in the zone all the time. Actually saw schools turn and follow us (as the sockeye do) during last year's nutbar fishery. The more flash, the better!!!

I also run basically the same for flashers as MyEscape: Purple and Pink Haze, Plaid in green and commercial UV. Collected some hootchies from a few generous skips with Area G last week, old time killers they employed when they actually targetted chums (way back when). these came along in the right colours, but with the added bonus of a glitter finish. Suspect they'll prove out to be worth having. [8D]

Gotta send a LOUD thanks to Blue Orca, MyEscape and Alexis for filling this West Coast boy in on what works over there, and talking me into finally trying it on. Addicting! Fast and furious action alright, and hard-battling fish make the day a dream! Can't Wait!!

Well, the trailer is finally finished her repair work as of yest. Today we're hauling the Dream Weaver out of the water, and getting her in for a good scrubbing (amazing just how much growth occurs from a single week of laying idle!). Gear is nearly all tied, just a few more to go. We'll be off to Brown's Bay come Monday or Tuesday, so will be speculatin' for nearly a week before the Derby. Might be we'll find a spot or two to work for the festivities...

The rig and I will be over there for a few weeks after the Derby. Anyone who misses out on that, or has so much fun they want another kick at the cat, gimme a buzz. I'll be packing the cell, and have a few spots available to getcha out there ;) Kev's got the number if you need it ;)

Last year was an absolute BLAST! Very much looking forward to this year's madness, and seeing a bunch of you there!!

Getting close to Game Tyme Gentz! Safe Travels & Best of Luck in the Derby! Catch ya on The Pond or at the Planning Sessions [}:)]

Cheers,
Nog

Back