Browns Bay Chum Derby See You There!

just curious with all this chum talk, is there any decent fishery down the south island way? I know the inlet would/could be a good bet but its closed until october 31 I believe.

Hold on there fella!!![B)]
Them are fightin' words.[xx(]
The Chum we see staging up in Browns are in the prime of their lives.
Bright, chrome and will out fight any of the other Salmons, hands down.
Great on the BBQ when they are fresh and even better smoked or candied.

As for stripping the frawns from the squirts...yes.
I feel better now, thanks for letting me vent.:)

what do you mean fighting words who are you talking too.Chum taste like!!!!!:D

The way to take care of a chum and have great meat.

1. Bleed them as soon as they are in the boat.

2. ICE them ASAP.

3. Don't man handle these fish as they are easily bruised.

You will either have the best fights or some of the best fights of the season from a fish half the weight you expect.

While having the fight of your life another rod goes off oohhh no another rod is screaming but while buddy fights another fish the fourth rod goes off but who's driving the boat oooohhhhh sh__!!!!
The true definition of fun fishing and more!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers ME

wHERE DO YOU FISH THERE FOR THE CHUMS? iS IT RIGHT IN CAMPBELL RIVER? HOW FAR DO YA HAVE TO TRAVEL ON THE WATER IS IT OPEN OR SHELTERED, i ONLY HAVE A 16FT RUNABOUT? pLEASE ID LIKE TO ENTER,THANKS

Gennerally chum fishing takes place in deepwater bay/ plumper bay,on the north end of seymore narrows, right across from Browns bay. Propably a 10 minute boat ride. Plumper bay is sheltered and as one heads north less and less sheltered.People fish as far north as chathem point, ripple point, but the fish are also close to browns bay. A 16 foot runabout will be fine.
Gennerally people use sockey gear, but the best luck i had was with anchovies. trolling slow
see ya there[8D]

Quote from Salmon Killer 01 "Generally chum fishing takes place in deepwater bay/ plumper bay,on the north end of seymore narrows, right across from Browns bay. Propably a 10 minute boat ride. Plumper bay is sheltered and as one heads north less and less sheltered.People fish as far north as chathem point, ripple point, but the fish are also close to browns bay. A 16 foot runabout will be fine.
Gennerally people use sockey gear, but the best luck i had was with anchovies. trolling slow
see ya there"

Last year guys were fishing in 12' aluminum boats and like quoted you don't need to go far to get into the fish. However I will post pictures soon of the deadly gear that caught over 60% of the winning fish last year and it costs alot less and is way more productive then bait!

Closest cabins are at Roberts Lake Resort only a 10 minute drive from Browns Bay they have small cabins and larger ones that will accomadate up to 6 @ a very reasonable off season rates phone # 1-250-287-9421

Cheers ME

Cant wait for gear pics, i am taking some guys out saturday and was trying to remember leader length for the chum hootchies. I heard that an 18lb chum taken in deepwater on the weekend[:p]

27" leader dead slow troll. Headed from Campbell River to Lake Union with Eagle Craft Boats to prepare for floating show Sept 13th to 17th tommorow by water so will have to post pics tuesday when I return Home.

Pics will be of Michele Bait Pink and Black and Pink and Blue with swivels in the heads both with Black 4ot or 5ot Hooks tweeked for better hook-ups and retention. I have a few other ones thanks to Blue Orca but not my place to post.;) Blue Orca was the true reason why I do so well on Chums. :D

Cheers ME

I flew back from Seattle after setting up the boat show for EagleCraft so will be back working on the final details for the Chum Derby get togethers and should have everything in place by Friday.
Will respond to my emails tonight with pics of gear.;)

Cheers ME

You guys make the wait even harder...

Ill be there, will bells on... Just bells

the chum fishing should start being really good by about the 20th and be awsome by the 5-6 of oct.Havent heard of big schools yet, but anytime now.The best luck i had was 25 of sept, 10 fish in under 1 hour. Amazingly 5 double headers.:D

My buddy 'Scooter' and I are looking forward to our 1st Chum Derby, sounds like the experience will be a hoot and a half!
We'll be camping out in the cuddy on his Explorer, haven't done that before. Last boat I slept in was the Golden Princess, like 8 football fields long.
This forum is a fantastic resource for information and tips from the experienced. I appreciate the tips on lure types, trolling speed, stacking rods, and fishing holes. What about depths? How early Sat/Sun morning do you usually get out, how late?
Any other tips from the 'experienced' Chummers would be appreciated.
PinchMe
'cause I can't believe I'm lucky enough to be livin' here!

Anybody have space/need for an experienced body to help with expenses?[?]
Have transportation/gear galore if needed.
Never fished Chum in the salt and now that I'm unemployed I'm keen to give this a try.

Or-anyone looking to share a charter?

TIA
Carl Z

hardnosethehighway@gmail.com

Browns Bay Chum Derby</u>

Saturday Oct 14th and Sunday Oct 15th @ Browns Bay On Vancouver Island

Update For Sept 16, 2006 Only 27 Days For Early Birds 0r 29 Days Till Derby Time

Friday Night Meet and Greet 7 PM til ???? at the Octagon Clubhouse in Ripple Rock RV Park with ocean fresh treats thanks to Streamhopper. Please remember you can also bring snacks and appy's too to add to the mix of great cocktail party style food.

Heres what you can order @ Saturday Nights 7 PM Dinner @ the floating Restaraunt.

1. Halibut and Chips (Fries) $14.99

2. Salmon and Chips (Fries) $ 14.99

3. Bacon, Cheese Burger and Chips (Fries) Working out price!

Comes with salad bar as well (Green salad, Ceaser salad, potato salad)

They will also will be offering a choice of 2 different sushi plates for $19.99 TBA

*Beverage's are not included

Talked to Coop today and weather permitting he will be attending with his big boat and a camera man to mabye film a show while he's fishing.

The link to where we are getting together.
http://www.brownsbayresort.com

If you have any questions please post them and either myself or someone else will provide you with the answers to your questions. I will post more information and updates as we go along!

List of those confirmed Attending

1 MyEscape + 1 Guest
2 Ironnoggin + At least 1 Guest
3 Blue Orca
4 Thewhiteone
5 Lipptugger + 1 Guest
6 PK
7 Sugar Magnolia
8 Milo
9 Tad
10 Firstlight
11 BB
12 Alta Ken
13 Sdemone + 1 Guest
14 Streamhopper
15 Wolf
16 Alexis
17 Baddog + 2 Guests
18 Barbless
19 Reach
20 Uncivil
21 Jokerwld
22 Comoxian
23 Albernifisher
24 Happy Gilmore
25 CS + 1 Guest
26 HardCore
27 Wasneddin
28 Steelheader
29 Coop + At Least 1 Guest
30 Grumpy
31 Xrayguy
32 Saltybeaver
33 Salmon Killer
34 GM Fisherman
35 Wetbeaver ?
36 Saltwatercowboy + 2 Guests

Many are members of fishbc some are also members here! One common interest FISHING!!!!

That makes a group of over 45+ Confirmed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There may be a few available seats on boats so don't be shy if you would like to attend but don't have a boat you just need to post and you may find a seat

Mabyes

1 Ford
2 The Fishin Nut
3 Dracula
4 Steely 06
5 Fishwidow
6 Flycastin
7 Hurston
8 Pinch Me
9 Jockey
10 Dogbreath

Help me to continue building this list of people attending by either replying or emailing me Thanks! Sorry if you are not posted on the list

Moorage I've Confirmed

My Escpae
Streamhopper
Thewhiteone
Lipptugger 14' or 18 ????????
First light
Reach
Alta Ken (With Shore Power)
Baddog (With Shore Power)
Alberni Fisher (With Shore Power)
Steelheader
Sdemone
Others have booked their own moorage

If anyone else needs moorage or any one is canceling moorage please let me know ASAP by email with your full name size of boat and dates you need moorage as it is booking up fast.

I have booked a block of 15 sites that have power hook ups in Ripple Rock Campground between the Octagon Clubhouse and the Fire Pit but need names type of RV and contact numbers ASAP to attatch to the sites. If you are tenting I also have to book those sites!!!!

If you want to donate a prize to the derby within a derby email me Thanks

Can't wait for for the fun to begin!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers Kev

Hey ME the "Knuckle Buster" will be there with bells on however I will only be able to make the Sunday part of the derby. When do I need tix by? What are the fishing times for Sunday? Weigh in? I will be eagerly lookinf forward to hooking the big one this year as we were close last year with a doozy lost at the boat! Thanks for all your help!

P.S. the fishing in front of Goose Spit is on again as a fresh batch rolled in 2 days ago. Hooked 10 springs last night in 21/2 hrs managed to land 6 all nice a chrome and great fights, biggest 31lbs smallest 15lbs and at one point had a triple header!! What a rush, with this rain coming they could be gone soon!

SWC

SWC Sunday's weigh in @ 3:00pm glad to hear your going to make it, you should find a way to make it for the full pull !!!!!! Winds permitting will be on the water by 3 today FISH ON!!!!

Cheers ME

Damn I wish I lived in B.C., Im landlocked in alberta surrounded by nothing but lakes stocked with farm rainbows...

Im heading out for the chum derby Via Invite of my old man and his fishing Buddy Bruce, from the sounds of the fishing you guys get to have, I dont think Im comming back to Edmonton... Ever.

Back