Boat upgrade

What about a lease return or used 300, i found a few late models ranging in price from 10-20k

Hmmmmmmmm Ex forestry boat with a 2005 yamie? That was one of the years of serious corrosion in the exhaust manifold in a boat that likely never saw alot of maintenance on the motor. For 28 g's and a lot of further investment to get the cabin up to snuff, I'd probably pass on that one.
Make the guy an offer. Sell the motor and repower. Some nice air seats and a few other comforts and it's a killer fishing machine for under 50.

Make the guy an offer. Sell the motor and repower. Some nice air seats and a few other comforts and it's a killer fishing machine for under 50.
Valids points FA. If you are handy with refits, it does have potential. All in, if you are not taht worried about getting the very best bang for your buck, it could be a stellar West Coaster

http://anchorage.craigslist.org/boa/4285773768.html

00f0f_kieLum7H650_600x450.jpg

That Sea Sport is Awesome (Probably not on gas though heh)!!! Pretty much one out of less than a handful of Tupperware boat manufacturers I actually like (sorry).

Personally, since I'd have the ability/will to do my own refit, I would prefer that route, because you can re-build that boat to a purpose for whatever you want! - With a proper budget in mind :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm looking to upgrade to a 24-26 foot boat. I enjoy off shore west coast fishing and would like to go for tuna at some point. Would need dual outboards prob 150s. I have a budget of 50 grand tops. I'm thinking of a grady white gulfstream, striper 2601, or pursuit 2470. I think the aluminums are out of my budget range. Any advice?

Thanks to those great comments about our 232 Gulfstream. Thanks Tim for suggesting our 232 as a good match to Trophy21's requirements.
http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/showthread.php?25445-232-Grady-White-Gulfstream-for-sale

I am a bit surprised she hasn't sold yet however its been for sale only fall/winter and not a great time of year to sell. Perhaps we are just not marketing it enough. I 'm not even sure its got a recent CL ad just now. As Tim mentioned in the other post it will likely get way more attention around boat show or afterwards. Also I think there are a lot more people around that can afford a $15-$20,000 boat as comared to a $50,000 boat. Somewhat like a car in that there are way more toyotas and Hondas purcghased than high end vehicles.

As far as USA goes - right now with the lousy canadian dollar conversion now this hull and twin power would not cost tons less if it was for sale in USA. Add all the extras this one has plus the cost and time to travel to sea trial, shipping cost, lift fees, possible storage fees, border fees and of course that dollar conversion I think a USA purchase of this same boat would save very little right now.

As far as comparrison to the other boats you listed : the Pursuit 2470 is a great choice but I don't like layout as much and it feels much smaller than the GW Gulftream 232. The Seaswirl is nice but not Grady and Pursuit quality. There is a reason Grady and Pursuit are more expensive. The 2601 Sea Swirl feels no bigger than the GW232 Gulfstream and in fact the 232 has a larger cockpit area.
The Grady ride is hard to beat but you have to appreciate the benefits of a walk around and the more open plan -otherwise what the others have said about having bigger covered cabin area ( less cockpit) is a good point.

Grady only made 1 attemp at a cat and dropped it like a turd.
it was pretty much a flop for them do a google search and you'll see for yourself

Looks like they made more than one including a X26 CC which was reviewed as "new" in 2001. . Here's the reveiw of the X26 Tiger Cat that is a quite positive review.

http://www.sportfishingmag.com/boats/boat-reviews/grady-white-x26-tigercat

Interesting about Grady Cats as I looked at one new at the Vanc Boat Show that was WA model as far as I recall (similar to the CL linked ad) but I am pretty sure that was a later year than 1997. It didn't really appeal to me that much ( without sea trial ) but its hard to get used to look and layout of a Cat after having a mono-hull addiction :).

As Hook'in up mentions in a post above, there are several not so positive comments about the Grady Cats ( see quote below) but some also say Grady only produced a Cat for a year but from what I see Grady must have had at least 2 models and produced Cats in 97 and 2001 at least, as both a CC and WA design or similar:

"Great boat company who made a mistake by trying to get in on the catamaran hull craze with a poorly thought out design, that as the Dr. said above, was 'bow heavy', and as a result had steering problems at normal planing speeds, and "hooking" problems in heavy seas where cats are supposed to accel. After a year or so of production, they ceased production and destroyed the molds"

Last edited by a moderator:
I have not been aboard a grady cat I saw a beauty at McDonald boat launch In van. I have been on a few in my life and they do have some nice features. Very very stable and cut the chop very well. Handling around the dock with the twins so far apart is really nice also a lot of control. But with all boats there are trade offs.

That boat will cut thought the chop better then most wow look at the deadrise aft

Man -Only thing I would really worry about is the stringers. It is a 1980 boat-but that Cat diesel with only 900 hrs-has to be bullet proof.

Man -Only thing I would really worry about is the stringers. It is a 1980 boat-but that Cat diesel with only 900 hrs-has to be bullet proof.

What a tank , with one inch thick fiberglass it probably doesn't even need stringers !! lol

Back