Boat Camping - Broken Group

Did it two years ago in a 13ft whaler. Amazing trip to say the least. Stayed 6 nights. Ran up the inlet then through Julia passage ( a must do if tide and boat size allows it- super cool) to Gibraltar. First night a humpback swam by about 100 ft off the beach. You can almost set your watch by the winds in the inlet. Go early. I am a repeat checker of winds and weather. Ran across to Ukey for supplies on a “light” wind..... Decent size swell crossing then pretty choppy just outside Ukey. We ended up coming back to Gibraltar after spending a couple nights on the outer group camp site. It was a rockier anchorage. Doable but a bit more nerve racking. We had zero issues at Gibraltar with anchorage using the anchor buddy. Fresh prawns and cod on the bbq nightly. Fabulous trip!

@ShipDisturber how did you make out last summer? Planning similar trip this coming summer, 25' boat running up the channel from PA, planning to anchor and camp ashore. Any tips from your experience?

@ShipDisturber how did you make out last summer? Planning similar trip this coming summer, 25' boat running up the channel from PA, planning to anchor and camp ashore. Any tips from your experience?
We ended up staying a week in Poett Nook as we discovered last minute we weren’t allowed to camp on the islands with our dog (should have thought of that). We did cross over to the Broken Group a couple of times on a calm day to sightsee and fish Swale. Definitely looked like there were some protected anchorages within the islands.

Poett Nook made life easy with freezer space, etc. It ended up being somewhat stormy half our trip but even in our small boat we were still able to fish the wall, and other inside spots even on the worst days.

We got easy Chinook limits within a couple of days, nothing bigger than 20lb. And a couple of coho hits as well.

The PA inlet was not an issue for us. It was blowing 10 knots or so when we left China Creek at 6am. This was the tail end of an overnight storm and well before the thermal winds kicked up, so there was a decent chop on the inlet but still doable. The stretch across Nahmint bay was the worst part for sure. On the way home we left Poett Nook around 6am and it was glass calm the whole way to China Creek.

I think with a 25’ boat you shouldn’t have any issues! If your sleeping on the boat you have a lot more flexibility in anchorages (don’t have to reserve a camping spot).

We are planning for a similar trip again this year!

We ended up staying a week in Poett Nook as we discovered last minute we weren’t allowed to camp on the islands with our dog (should have thought of that). We did cross over to the Broken Group a couple of times on a calm day to sightsee and fish Swale. Definitely looked like there were some protected anchorages within the islands.

Poett Nook made life easy with freezer space, etc. It ended up being somewhat stormy half our trip but even in our small boat we were still able to fish the wall, and other inside spots even on the worst days.

We got easy Chinook limits within a couple of days, nothing bigger than 20lb. And a couple of coho hits as well.

The PA inlet was not an issue for us. It was blowing 10 knots or so when we left China Creek at 6am. This was the tail end of an overnight storm and well before the thermal winds kicked up, so there was a decent chop on the inlet but still doable. The stretch across Nahmint bay was the worst part for sure. On the way home we left Poett Nook around 6am and it was glass calm the whole way to China Creek.

I think with a 25’ boat you shouldn’t have any issues! If your sleeping on the boat you have a lot more flexibility in anchorages (don’t have to reserve a camping spot).

We are planning for a similar trip again this year!

That's great, thanks. First thing then to decide is if the dog is coming or not!

Maybe you guys are aware of this but the local FN‘s employ guys to chase people away from ”non-designated” anchorages in the Broken Group.
The Gilbert Island camping spot is great for kayakers with tents but in my experience, useless for boats ——rocky and no swing room. Meanwhile, if it’s blowing, the north side of Effingham is completely exposed to the NW...use it at your peril in sporty conditions.

I really miss the good old days before the FN starting flexing its muscles. I respect the fact that they want to keep people from traipsing around and littering their ancestor’s happy hunting grounds but now they won’t even let you drop an anchor in the vicinity of those islands

Maybe you guys are aware of this but the local FN‘s employ guys to chase people away from ”non-designated” anchorages in the Broken Group.
The Gilbert Island camping spot is great for kayakers with tents but in my experience, useless for boats ——rocky and no swing room. Meanwhile, if it’s blowing, the north side of Effingham is completely exposed to the NW...use it at your peril in sporty conditions.

I really miss the good old days before the FN starting flexing its muscles. I respect the fact that they want to keep people from traipsing around and littering their ancestor’s happy hunting grounds but now they won’t even let you drop an anchor in the vicinity of those islands
I haven’t heard this before. Have you had a personal experience?

I haven’t heard this before. Have you had a personal experience?
I wouldn’t have taken the time to post those comments if I didn’t have personal experience... On one of the occasions with the FN guys it was blowing 35 knts from the NW and they were telling me to go to Gilbert (Zero protection from NW)......Between you and me, I waited for them to return to town then tucked in behind Wouwer which has been my hidey hole from NW blows for years.....a man’s gotta do what a man’s gotta do when the wind is blowing and you’re trying to keep your boat off the rocks and have some semblance of a stress-free sleep

I wouldn’t have taken the time to post those comments if I didn’t have personal experience... On one of the occasions with the FN guys it was blowing 35 knts from the NW and they were telling me to go to Gilbert (Zero protection from NW)......Between you and me, I waited for them to return to town then tucked in behind Wouwer which has been my hidey hole from NW blows for years.....a man’s gotta do what a man’s gotta do when the wind is blowing and you’re trying to keep your boat off the rocks and have some semblance of a stress-free sleep
Behind Wouwer is my favourite spot in the outer Broken Group islands. Watched an orca go thru a passage 6' wide under a full moon to sneak up behind the sea lion colony a short distance away. Disappointing to hear that I might be rousted if I tried again.

Similar thing happened to us when we stopped on a beach on Penelakut island (formally Kuoer island). I didn’t know it was FN but we rowed ashore and walked on the beach and were quickly followed by a couple young FN males in a car who eventually told us to leave. They were NOT friendly and we haven’t gone near that island since

Similar thing happened to us when we stopped on a beach on Penelakut island (formally Kuoer island). I didn’t know it was FN but we rowed ashore and walked on the beach and were quickly followed by a couple young FN males in a car who eventually told us to leave. They were NOT friendly and we haven’t gone near that island since

This **** should not be happening , record and post on social media, share the **** outta this kind of stuff

Kuper Island is FN land [like the Chathams and most of Discovery off Victoria] - so off limits above the high tide. Broken Group is national park, so those fellows must be acting as park guardians [paid or volunteer]. The Parks Canada website says no camping outside designated areas, but I couldn't find anything about anchoring. Worth a call.

Back