Boat Camping - Broken Group

ShipDisturber

I'm looking for some local advise. I have boat camped up and down the east side of the island but have never boat camped on the west side or been out in Barkley Sound.

My wife and I have been planning to reserve a permit to camp in the Broken Group in mid August. We were thinking Gibraltar Island would be the best bet due to proximity to fishing grounds and the beach where we would anchor is in the lee of the island while camping on shore.

I am expecting fog, and potentially some rough crossings on some days in the Imperial Eagle Channel but I am assuming the beach itself should stay fairly protected?

We are in 17ft Whaler, and would be leaving from PA early to beat the wind up the canal. Given boat size, we will be packing light like a backpacking trip so there is room to bring some fish home.

Is this plan doable, or are we better off camping at Poet Nook or Centennial Park and fishing the protected waters close to Bamfield? Typically, it is the kayakers who camp on the islands if I am not mistaking and they can haul their kayaks high up on the beach in a big storm. My primary concern would be dragging anchor in a big wind, but I do run a stern tie to shore.

I am looking for some advice from the guys who head out there regularly or even better have done this before.

I'm looking for some local advise. I have boat camped up and down the east side of the island but have never boat camped on the west side or been out in Barkley Sound.

My wife and I have been planning to reserve a permit to camp in the Broken Group in mid August. We were thinking Gibraltar Island would be the best bet due to proximity to fishing grounds and the beach where we would anchor is in the lee of the island while camping on shore.

I am expecting fog, and potentially some rough crossings on some days in the Imperial Eagle Channel but I am assuming the beach itself should stay fairly protected?

We are in 17ft Whaler, and would be leaving from PA early to beat the wind up the canal. Given boat size, we will be packing light like a backpacking trip so there is room to bring some fish home.

Is this plan doable, or are we better off camping at Poet Nook or Centennial Park and fishing the protected waters close to Bamfield? Typically, it is the kayakers who camp on the islands if I am not mistaking and they can haul their kayaks high up on the beach in a big storm. My primary concern would be dragging anchor in a big wind, but I do run a stern tie to shore.

I am looking for some advice from the guys who head out there regularly or even better have done this before.

Not to sure about staying at Gibraltar but we have stayed in the bay at Jaques Island while fishing swale, which should be good fishing that time of year. We usually stay in the little bay halfway down fleming and have never had a problem. Done lots of boat camping up that way. Feel free to PM me.

I presume you know what kind of weather can blow up in the Inlet? In a 17 footer, you’d definitely want to leave PA very early and check the weather outlook for sure.

I’ve never boat camped at Gibraltar but pretty much everywhere else. Effingham on a NW is a wind tunnel—steer clear. Gilbert, where the FN’s want you to be in that part of the B. Group, is rocky and narrow—-useless for a boat

If it gets snotty and you’re on the Bamfield side of the channel, Dodger, between Diana and Haines can be a nice quiet spot

And last but not least, get a Rocna...they don’t drag

You might consider towing your boat to Secret Beach - it should be open by then. Or Ucluelet. Much closer to the Broken group. Road into SB is gravel (about 15 kms) but doable if you take your time.

I camp at the Broken group quite a bit, I have a 21 ft boat
Best to come in from the Ukee side, much shorter run
Since it is a Federal park, any on shore camping is only at designated camping spots, lots of kayakers at these (most) spots in August
This park is ‘patrolled’ daily by FN park keepers
Go to the Federal Broken island group website for these designated camping spots

I presume you know what kind of weather can blow up in the Inlet? In a 17 footer, you’d definitely want to leave PA very early and check the weather outlook for sure.

I’ve never boat camped at Gibraltar but pretty much everywhere else. Effingham on a NW is a wind tunnel—steer clear. Gilbert, where the FN’s want you to be in that part of the B. Group, is rocky and narrow—-useless for a boat

If it gets snotty and you’re on the Bamfield side of the channel, Dodger, between Diana and Haines can be a nice quiet spot

And last but not least, get a Rocna...they don’t drag
For sure it was one of my concerns, our plan was to be out of the inlet before 9am. However, from the comments here, it sounds like Ukee might be the easier route. If we are coming out of Ukee maybe I will look at Willis or Dodd as well.

If I had a 17 footer, I’d tow to Uke. Definitely takes the stress out of doing the Inlet to and from P. Alberni. But I would also add ...eventhough it’s closer to the B.G. then PA is, Loudoun Channel can get real sporty if you leave Ucluelet in the PM when it starts blowing NW

I left Ucluelet when it was blowing 20 knots a few years ago, with gusts to 30........no problem, says a local Uke guide...you’re going with it!

He was right up until I approached the channel between Benson and Clark —— def some of the most challenging water I’ve ever been in—-I was driving a high dead-rise boat that just loved to bow-steer. Meanwhile, I had 6 to 8 foot following seas coming up my stern, turning to 8 to 10 footers as they stacked up in the shallows just off the channel. Blue water over the wheelhouse.

Once I got into the flat water of the B.G. I started doing laps around my rosary beads

Last edited:
If I had a 17 footer, I’d tow to Uke. Definitely takes the stress out of doing the Inlet to and from P. Alberni. But I would also add ...eventhough it’s closer to the B.G. then PA is, Loudoun Channel can get real sporty if you leave Ucluelet in the PM when it starts blowing NW

I left Ucluelet when it was blowing 20 knots a few years ago, with gusts to 30........no problem, says a local Uke guide...you’re going with it!

He was right up until I approached the channel between Benson and Clark —— def some of the most challenging water I’ve ever been in—-I was driving a high dead-rise boat that just loved to bow-steer. Meanwehile, I had 6 to 8 foot following seas coming up my stern, turning to 8 to 10 footers as they stacked up in the shallows just off the channel. Blue water over the wheelhouse.

Once I got into the flat water of the B.G. I started doing laps around my rosary beads

you will miss all that if you launch at Secret Beach…

I always anchor behind Turtle island. No matter how hard it blows on the outside its calm in there.

Before my 23 Hourston, we used to camp onboard an open 16' Skookum Sealer -- 200+ nights, including several trips to the Broken Group. We always went in thru Toquart Bay [20 years ago]. We didn't camp ashore, so were not constrained by where the Parks campsites are. For sure, Clarke/Benson is good in that regard. We used to anchor in a couple of little notches on the back side of Wouwer, which were very snug, and close to fishing at Cree and elsewhere. I'd avoid Alberni Inlet.

Ive spent a few nights down there the last couple years. I usually stay inside the bay on effingham/gilbert island. It’s 5 mins from good fishing and there are some beaches in there if you want to camp on shore. Not sure if a permit is required. The inlet is fairly predictable in the summer so if you get down there before 11am or so you should beat the wind. If you go toquart or Ukee make sure you check the road closures. The construction on the highway sucks these days.

Thanks for all the input! I think we have our plan sorted.
I did this same trip in 17 whaler about 5 years ago.loved it. We stayed at campground right behind swale rock,, but probably would say at Dodd if doing it again. There isn't great protection on certain winds where we stayed. Dodds is a couple mile ride away from fishing area we liked (scale and harbor entrance) but it was protected ride so just add a 10 minute commute. . We checked out some of the other designated campgrounds and these two seemed best for anchoring a boat. Leave PA early as possible no later than 9am. I recognize left at 6 am and had glass the whole way out. If traditional weather patterns are holding out, I would not be afraid run from PA. We had little blow up raft to ferry to and from the boat. It was fine but a little sketchy.

I wouldn't be so quick on planning anything from Secret Beach, the community there isn't in a hurry to invite in guests just yet. Perhaps give them a call to get a better sense of the re-start plans.

Director of Business Operations
Toquaht Marina and Campground Ltd.
250 726-8349

I used to camp on Gilbert in the designated area. We took up a big burlap sack and some poly rope. Filled the sack with rocks once there and used it to anchor the boat...this allowed a short line and little swing of the boat in tight quarters. Had a pulley on the line and we could bring the boat in and out to shore from the beach. When we went home we lifted the sack up and cut the rope...the sack would rot in short time leaving just the rocks.

I used to camp on Gilbert in the designated area. We took up a big burlap sack and some poly rope. Filled the sack with rocks once there and used it to anchor the boat...this allowed a short line and little swing of the boat in tight quarters. Had a pulley on the line and we could bring the boat in and out to shore from the beach. When we went home we lifted the sack up and cut the rope...the sack would rot in short time leaving just the rocks.
drew harbour trick!! circa 1975.

I’ve done it in a 17’ quite a few times. Usually camped closer to bamfield. A few different beaches out of the wind near kirby area.
Going to try broken group area next trip.
Always left port first thing in the morning and usually fished the morning bite then made our way home on the last day.

Back