Best way to link outboard main and kicker?

TheNootkaRose

Have a new to me used Lifetimer centre console. Pretty sweet custom layout, never seen one like it. I should probably do a separate post about the boat... but moving on

It's got a 2006 honda 225 as the main and honda 8hp as the kicker.
Centre console control for the main only. the kicker is all manual start/tilt.

I'd like to link the main to the kicker so I can drive/steer when trolling from the wheel at the helm. I would just set the throttle on the kicker tiller manually and move to the wheel to steer.

What's the best product to accomplish this simply? EZ-steer? Anything else out there? Do people like ez-steer? any issues or things to keep in mind?
I like simple stuff.

Thanks

tie link rod. if your kicker is based on the tohatsu add a remote throttle/shift kit to it.
if i can do it with a 6HP you can with an 8HP.
00505_dZvHMOtb3A4_0ww0oo_1200x900.jpg

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0...&pf_rd_p=05326fd5-c43e-4948-99b1-a65b129fdd73

but need to find in SS trotac used to have them and then get yourself some stainless rod quick easy and simple I suggest when you get it all done slide whatever hose over rod and a float ... so if it does fall off it wont sink like a rock...done this method many times and easy to bend if you so need so.
For brackets just use some heavy Alumn and bend to what ya need a little bit of fiddling you will get it not really hard

thanks Zurk
What brand tie bar did you get?
What brand remote?

tie bar is a EZ Steer EZ10003 modified heavily. youre better off buying one of the regular ez steer models. mine was originally bought for a different boat which i sold and then modified to fit this.

remote kit is a tohatsu remote throttle / shift kit. Works with 4HP and up.

Ez steer rod is good but the mounts are thin. If they break just cut some stainless flashing and reweld it.

pJxOk7m.jpg

http://www.seastarsolutions.com/products/hydraulic-new/outboard-new/seastar_kicker/

I’ve been using this for 8 years. I’m sure there are other solutions, but I doubt there are better. My kicker functionality is just like my main. I stopped bending over my stern in 2012. And if you ever install autopilot for your main, it’ll steer your kicker too.

Not to be the nattering nabob of negativism here but Seastar tie-bars have their definite downsides—-it really seems to depend on the orientation of your kicker relative to the main outboard

I have bent two Seastar tie-bars. (DF300 Suzuki attached to Honda 15 Hp kicker)—Seastar recognized (in writing) that they have issues with bent tie-bars, especially when the kicker is tilted and hard-over and you’re making a turn in the opposite direction

This tie-bar was not mine...picture was taken from the Web just to show it ain’t just my problem

B817A9F2-E71B-4157-83FB-0B73345E13ED.jpeg

My work-around to keep No. 3 tie-bar from bending—-I ALWAYS tilt my kicker down when in along a dock—-that’s typically when I make hard abrupt turns from port to starboard

So far so good but when they bend, not good—-freezes the outboards in place because the tie-bar binds in place and you lose steering

Hydraulic is the best way..full lock to lock in both directions, no vibrating tie rod, kicker only turns with main when down in the water trolling and a true auto pilot can be used to steer boat whith either just main or with both main and kicker together.

Alright guys, Gonna need your help with this one. I got myself a tie bar, and despite being quite mechanically inclined I can’t figure out what links to what. I have no doubt I can do it, I just need someone who’s done it before to tell me what to connect where.

So here is a picture of my main OB and my kicker. I put numbers above the bolts so that you can tell me “connect #2 to #4 for example”.
Also put number on the link arm pieces.

The link rod is too short (24”) so I’ll get a longer one depending on the connection points you suggest.

So what number do I connect to what number?

Thanks

7FCFC352-BE61-4B95-A661-686DC184F3DE.jpeg ED1938D8-789E-402D-929F-E91253A47BAB.jpeg F486920A-1275-42A0-9DB0-482231653FF7.jpeg

Alright guys, Gonna need your help with this one. I got myself a tie bar, and despite being quite mechanically inclined I can’t figure out what links to what. I have no doubt I can do it, I just need someone who’s done it before to tell me what to connect where.

So here is a picture of my main OB and my kicker. I put numbers above the bolts so that you can tell me “connect #2 to #4 for example”.

The link rod is too short (24”) so I’ll get a longer one depending on the connection points you suggest.

Thanks

View attachment 56225 View attachment 56226 View attachment 56227
You can order a 3' length of stainless steel 3/8-24 threaded rod from Fastenal. Better order it now because it won't be in stock anywhere locally.
https://www.fastenal.com/products/details/47564
https://www.fastenal.com/products/details/47564

Thanks

#1 goes to #6 (you will need to swap it out for a slightly longer bolt - 1/4" longer.
you need the plate your kicker came with in the box. if you dont have the plate go to the shop you bought it from and tell them it should have come with the steering link plate which has a triangular shape with a L at the bottom end with 3 bolt holes.
#3 and #4 go to the triangular plate bottom end, the middle end gives you an additional #7
and then #5 goes to #7.
my video shows you what the plate looks like and the connections so recommend watching it.

Last edited:
#1 goes to #6 (you will need to swap it out for a slightly longer bolt - 1/4" longer.
you need the plate your kicker came with in the box. if you dont have the plate go to the shop you bought it from and tell them it should have come with the steering link plate which has a triangular shape with a L at the bottom end with 3 bolt holes.
#3 and #4 go to the triangular plate bottom end, the middle end gives you an additional #7
and then #5 goes to #7.
my video shows you what the plate looks like and the connections so recommend watching it.
Thanks so much man! Very helpful.
Follow up question:

1) #6 in my diagram has a clamp style rounded fitting that a bolt goes through. What is this fitting going around? Or do I just toss it and use a flat plate?

thank you

Thanks so much man! Very helpful.
Follow up question:

1) #6 in my diagram has a clamp style rounded fitting that a bolt goes through. What is this fitting going around? Or do I just toss it and use a flat plate?

thank you

fitting goes around the bolt #1. which is why you need a slightly longer bolt in #1. you would clamp it and then put the nut on top and tighten. put stainless washers above and below the fitting.

Back