April 1 Fishing Regs-sell your Boats!!

If non retention is in the future why the hatcheries. Hatcheries are intended for a put and take fishery for human consumption. Millions of dollars and thousands of man hours every year and for what, to let them swim by to be caught in the nets in the river by a non contributing sector, talk about a kick in the conads.
Hit the hatchey fish..er i mean nail square on the head with this comment
100% x2

You don’t have to meet any of that criteria to outwit the current brain trust in Ottawa.
Brain trust and Ottawa, so funny and sad election after election!
Approach to influencing fishing regs isn’t the only thing we Canadians should have changed long ago. There’s a reason why a continent the size of Europe has multiple times the countries than we have provinces: there simply isn’t a federal party who’s ideologies and policies come anywhere close to appeasing anywhere close to half of Canadians. We’re just too diverse within our own monsterous province, let alone coast to coast to coast.

Sorry, smoked some great stuff tonight!

Cheers!

Ukee

Folks this is why the politicians don't hear your voices & why it will NEVER change. Every 4 yrs you have a chance to make a difference... You get what you vote for.
This is a DFO problem not a government problem. I think Turd Dough is a F*#k Tard But electing the Conservatives will not make this problem go away.

So............. is there any place on Vancouver Island that you can take and KILL a salmon
before July 15th-July 31st ......... IF SO I might just hitchhike up there with my spinning gear and a
large Styrofoam cooler over my back.

Frack!!! I'm pissed off
You need to go the west side, Basically Bamfield and everything north of it is open.

I buy the fresh water license with salmon and steelhead tags for myself and my teenage kid every year. I also buy tidal water licenses with salmon tags for myself and both the kids. Each season, we take home around 7-8 chinooks and a few cohos for the freezer. I’ve been doing volunteer work for my local hatchery for the past 20 years and have been part of the school educational campaigns, river cleaning efforts on the lower mainland and also a regular donor to the habitat protection and enhancement programs. The amount of time and money that I spend on maintaining a boat, tow vehicle, gear and travel is way higher than the value of the meat. I’m not in this for the meat but I also don’t want my hard earned money and volunteer hours to feed the gil nets. If some geniuses think that C&R is the future of our fishery, they better take a short trip up the Fraser and see the blood bath themselves. Don’t try to sell that to me as the result of the shrinking resource b/c that’s a load of BS.
The return of the wild salmon stocks has been a real problem over the past 10-15 years and that’s not just for the Fraser stocks. But then DFO hasn’t done anything about conservation of the wild stocks. Closing the sports fisheries isn’t a solution. C&R is not a viable adaptation strategy. If we want to have a viable fishery in this province, we must find a way to work with the FNs. The current governance model has proven itself non effective. The minority government is hanging off of a cliff and will do anything to avoid a lawsuit. It’s up to our representatives to seek the advisory of the legal and PR experts and use a two tier strategy. Negotiate with the FNs in hope of finding a common ground while actively prepping for a lawsuit. There’s no short term solution to this, unfortunately.
There are some very true facts in your statement and SFAB and advocacy groups take note: the future of the sport fishery only goes through working with FN! Why do you think there is this tiny bit of Chinook retention in all of the JDF in Becher Bay - area 20-5. Only because a band has a marina in Becher Bay that relies on sportfishing revenue. Only reason. That's the model we should build upon.

There are some very true facts in your statement and SFAB and advocacy groups take note: the future of the sport fishery only goes through working with FN! Why do you think there is this tiny bit of Chinook retention in all of the JDF in Becher Bay - area 20-5. Only because a band has a marina in Becher Bay that relies on sportfishing revenue. Only reason. That's the model we should build upon.

Nope. Not why it's open. I know many think that but that isn't why.

Your the expert though.

What? Did DFO tell you it was for an important scientific reason? Sorry, YOU were misinformed. Maybe have a chat with Russ (chief), that will point you in the right direction!

This is a DFO problem not a government problem. I think Turd Dough is a F*#k Tard But electing the Conservatives will not make this problem go away.
Well I wouldn’t say that’s completely true fish brain. Conservatives are traditionally more business friendly and pay closer attention to the needs of small business as well in the past they have stood up to the demands of FN‘ and not caved to their every demand. This current government is on a path to turn all things over to them.

With that said, I no longer trust anything O’Toole says. So far he has proven to be nothing but a liar on most of what he ran on. He will do what ever it takes to get elected and with that he’ll cave into all FN demands as well.

Federation is broken, plain and simple, I no longer support any party that is in favour of federation as it stands. It’s time for drastic changes in the west.

Last edited:
What? Did DFO tell you it was for an important scientific reason? Sorry, YOU were misinformed. Maybe have a chat with Russ (chief), that will point you in the right direction!

Another example of DFO ignoring their scientists. Cant all groups get behind something like this and advocate for change at DFO? obviously some high level bureaucrats need to be removed. Everyone should write the Minister and use her own words against her, this item and the Steelhead cover up are really good examples. Conservatives should make a big deal about this with Justin claiming hes all about science and the environment, this shows otherwise.

Sorry your misinformed again. Not wasting my time anymore. You believe what you want to believe. Keep on throwing rocks and see where it gets you. You obviously like to hide behind an anonymous profile and attack everyone on here. Had enough bud.

Have a great day.

People have to adapt to C & R fishing if they actually enjoy fishing for fishing. That's the way it has been in many other successful fisheries for a long time. Such like steelhead locally. If killing fish is your primary motivation for taking your boat out, please sell it now.
I don’t go fishing just because my primary motivation is to “kill a fish”.. I spend thousands a year on fishing because my family loves fresh seafood. It’s stupid and frustrating when it seems other groups are allowed to kill as many fish as they want.

You didn’t understand my post. It was not about my beliefs about how people should enjoy their time on the water. It was pointing out that because of the way some people enjoy their time on the water, less fish to keep means less available opportunities for those who provide the that kind of experience. Collapse of the east coast cod fishery affected many lives and if the salmon’s future heads in the same direction, it will get worse.
One needs to draw a very real distinction between here and the East coast-there you are talking about a collapse of a complete stock-here you are not--what we have here is a re-allocation of stocks from several user groups to ONE under the political guise of conservation

Well I wouldn’t say that’s completely true fish brain. Conservatives are traditionally more business friendly and pay closer attention to the needs of small business as well in the past they have stood up to the demands of FN‘ and not caved to their every demand. This current government is on a path to turn all things over to them.

With that said, I no longer trust anything O’Toole says. So far he has proven to be nothing but a liar on most of what he ran on. He will do what ever it takes to get elected and with that he’ll cave into all FN demands as well.

Federation is broken, plain and simple, I no longer support any party that is in favour of federation as it stands. It’s time for drastic changes in the west.
I have to agree with what Walleys mentioned. In my humble opinion, there is a well-decided path. Based on historical facts, the rights to fish for most citizens are being taken away and opportunities that remain for ordinary citizens to fish are the ones that provide financial benefits to First Nation. As long as the land, resorts, entertainments...etc bringing cash, we should be able to fish those waters. The issue with this picture is it eventually becomes very expensive for ordinary Canadians to fish local waters and only our richer neighbors down south with deeper pockets can mostly afford and enjoy fishing our waters. I'm all for the rights of First Nations however, the way governments and DFO are acting, will not benefits FN in the long run either. My 2c

People have to adapt to C & R fishing if they actually enjoy fishing for fishing. That's the way it has been in many other successful fisheries for a long time. Such like steelhead locally. If killing fish is your primary motivation for taking your boat out, please sell it now.
C&R fishing Chinook on the south coast won't be aloud to much longer. This is based on talking with natives here on the central island and north to Masset. Also have friends that work with bands on the Fraser and they are all dead against sporty C&R .
How DFO would kill C&R? full closures? No trolling? time will tell.

One needs to draw a very real distinction between here and the East coast-there you are talking about a collapse of a complete stock-here you are not--what we have here is a re-allocation of stocks from several user groups to ONE under the political guise of conservation
You didn’t understand my post either. Oh well.

sold my boat last week, I'm done with salt water fishing, at least for a while. time for a BC separatist party , lots of people disgruntled with the ndp and liberals. the feds are pretty much forcing one to be formed imho, it's not just the fishing industry here.

Brain trust and Ottawa, so funny and sad election after election!
Approach to influencing fishing regs isn’t the only thing we Canadians should have changed long ago. There’s a reason why a continent the size of Europe has multiple times the countries than we have provinces: there simply isn’t a federal party who’s ideologies and policies come anywhere close to appeasing anywhere close to half of Canadians. We’re just too diverse within our own monsterous province, let alone coast to coast to coast.

Sorry, smoked some great stuff tonight!

Cheers!

Ukee
sold my boat last week, I'm done with salt water fishing, at least for a while. time for a BC separatist party , lots of people disgruntled with the ndp and liberals. the feds are pretty much forcing one to be formed imho, it's not just the fishing industry here.
I agree 100% about the separatist party

Esquimalt Anglers had a net pen project with smolts from Nitinat Lake that provided one of the finest fishing opportunities in the world.
Access was easy for boats of all sizes in safe and protected waters.
Some anglers would even pickup the odd chinook by spin casting off the end of the Breakwater.
It was not unusual to get skunked but as often as not from late July thru early September you could pick up one or two chinook in the 18 to 22 pound range and the scenery was spectacular!
DFO shut down this extremely popular and successful project with NO EVIDENCE WHATSOEVER because in their wisdom they thought these Nitinat fish might get into the Cowichan River system.
Interestingly at the same time DFO approved the Sooke River Net Pen project with smolts from Nitiinat.
Angling opportunities are becoming a rare commodity for most.
In these days of Conservation, Native rights and Fish Farms a lot of decisions are made based on politics, but this was a foolish decision based on theory that could easily be rectified.

Back