April 1 Fishing Regs-sell your Boats!!

I’ve been thinking the exact same thing. I can afford the day in court and I think I’d actually love to see a lower court judges reaction to DFOs “Conservation“ measures (of hatchery fish????) while we’re already at 10-gill net openings on the lower Fraser!

Cheers!
Exactly! I have a friend who’s an avid angler and a lawyer that said he’d love to take it on

I can’t agree. All those protesters blocking roads just pissed people off and that would kind of the same thing. I feel it would be best to try and get the public on our side.
I agree aces, just making the point that if you want to bring attention you would have to do something like that. I don't think it's a good idea, but I think the commercial guys did it in Rupert a few years back. ( not sure )

I agree aces, just making the point that if you want to bring attention you would have to do something like that. I don't think it's a good idea, but I think the commercial guys did it in Rupert a few years back. ( not sure )
Yes they did but it didn’t help their cause

Only endangered for us sport fisherman!!!
Maybe they are only endangered because some people are allowed to scoop up thousands of them in a net, then for the rest of us...well, we pay the price by not even being allowed to keep one. Thousands of us can't keep one fish each so a handful of others can keep thousands each. Is that why they call it reconciliation? 1 x 1,000 = 1,000 x 0 in their mind.

Last edited:
FN aren’t under the same laws as us and never will be. I mentioned this before, this is a lost cause and it’s not fair but we are stuck with this crap and it’s not going to get better. Only downhill from here.

I will say a court attempt is probably the best way to move ahead. The public needs to know that the nets are full steam ahead while we get the shaft.
I don’t believe breaking the law by blocking ferries, or illegal fishing will do any good at all.

Someone had an idea for a go fund me page. Others are saying they know lawyers that will put in pro Bono work. Less talk, more action!

I will say a court attempt is probably the best way to move ahead. The public needs to know that the nets are full steam ahead while we get the shaft.
I don’t believe breaking the law by blocking ferries, or illegal fishing will do any good at all.

Someone had an idea for a go fund me page. Others are saying they know lawyers that will put in pro Bono work. Less talk, more action!
Agreed. I don't think the public is aware that on one hand thousands of people are told that these fish are endangered and we can't catch them, businesses are closed, lives put on hold, and people put into financial distress, then on the other hand other people are given free reign to go out and catch those same fish. What hypocrisy. I think people would be shocked to find this out. I don't have the ear of the media, but there are others that do and could try and get some coverage.

Maybe they are only endangered because some people are allowed to scoop up thousands of them in a net, then for the rest of us...well, we pay the price by not even being allowed to keep one. Thousands of us can't keep one fish each so a handful of others can keep thousands each. Is that why they call it reconciliation? 1 x 1,000 = 1,000 x 0 in their mind.
I wanted to keep one of the 7 mid to upper clipped teeners we caught on Friday but my wife wouldn’t let me, lol.

Maybe on my next solo trip?

I don’t think it will get you to court, but the leafs will help pay part of your fine

I’ve been thinking the exact same thing. I can afford the day in court and I think I’d actually love to see a lower court judges reaction t o DFOs “Conservation“ measures (of hatchery fish????) while we’re already at 10-gill net openings on the lower Fraser!

Cheers!
As I remember, about 20 years ago, Mike Hicks was fishing off Sooke and given a violation ticket from the DFO for posesing a clipped coho. He fought the ticket in court, and won. And as I remember, this is when the June 1st hatchery only coho opening began. I may be wrong on what actually happened. I’m sure someone like Rollie Rose or Gary Cooper would know the details.

FN aren’t under the same laws as us and never will be. I mentioned this before, this is a lost cause and it’s not fair but we are stuck with this crap and it’s not going to get better. Only downhill from here.
The argument isn't anything to do with FN , its all about the "publicized" reasons rec fisheries are closed , even for a hatchery marked fish.
If the reasoning behind the closures are conservation then so be it ,but they are not when net fisheries are aloud in rivers and catch/kill indiscriminately any and all species , some being the marked fish rec fishers are not aloud to keep, there is your legitimate reason for ther rec fishers argument for msf to be open

Back