Any chum showing up at Browns Bay ?

MP 15's, black hooks at 38" for me. Got two today that were chrome. One was 13 lbs. Didn't see a lot on the surface but the finder was showing fish. Only was at it for a couple of hours as the mission was halibut fishing with the good wif and two daughters on my birthday. The fish goddess blessed us with four chickens.

If the Hawks can take the Blues tonight that would be the cherry on the cake.

Friend and I are headed up to browns bay for the long weekend; sunday ; Monday. Any one else planning up there this coming weekend; maybe we can get together and talk shop.
Also has anyone had any luck prawning up the passage. Was thinking of bringing the traps along. PM if you want to reply.

If you dont want to weigh your traps with around 20# each, you had better rethink your idea of prawning in Johnstone Straits.

Remember that water body has some of the strongest tides in BC. While there are some areas out of the main tidal stream that do produce prawns (Hole in the Wall, Blind Channel) they do require local knowledge.

Weekend looks great for chum killing. Whos going?

heading out for a day trip on Monday - would love to hear some reports... do we need to run up to greensea or are they sitting at plumper/deepwater?

Will be at the launch tomorrow morning heading out in search of some chum probably cruise by deepwater to see what's going on and end up at Greensea later in the day, weather permitting even further north?..end the day at Little Dent and try our luck at some hali fishing on Sunday then back to Little Dent for turkey dinner and all the trimmings :). Good luck all

Went out on Thursday, no fish caught or seen in plumper and no one around in browns.... been slow, but got to see a show of porpoise around 200 or so just before plumper on the way through the narrows. They made a quick get away just before the killer whales showed up though. Maybe the reason everything was dead.

Is anyone chum fishing around Browns Bay this weekend? Can someone give a report? I am planning on going Wed or Thursday when I get back in town.

Where is Green Sea from Browns Bay?
having fished there comm try Green sea bay from max flood to 1 hr after HW slack and Rock Bay (just around Chatham Pt) from max ebb to 1 hr after LW slack, then Nodales from 1 hr after LW slack to max flood. All tides taken at Seymour Narrows.

Was out at Separation and Deepwater 10-1. Not a lot of action for us. One in the box. Had another solid release that pulled the pin on the flasher but was gone before the rod was out of the holder.

A large whaler beside us converted two on a triple header. Every rod had a different setup. Even saw one boat get two fish with a white hootchy. Might have been Coho the way they were jumping.

Going out earlier to catch more of the incoming tide today.

Just home from family trip to Browns.
No one was catching much near the marina, lots of boats (including OBMG guides) were heading north.
Once we got to Greensea it was almost non-stop action. All depths, speeds, and leader lengths.
I even had one hit a #3 spoon without a flasher....on a trout rod....but it didn't stick, RATS!
We had more good battles than I have seen in several years, this year's school likes to peel line.
About 1 in 5 fish is a coho, we saw more than one wild ho being cleaned, yikes. I know DFO has a strong presence in that area, so all should brush up on species id.

Memorable experience was seeing a large fish swimming around with a flasher attached. It would not allow us to get close enough to net it so we cast and hooked the leader. Released the fish, a stellar wild coho at approx 13#, kept the flasher and hoochie tho ;-)
Also had one actually jump into the net, not a common event (yes it was hooked).

My guess is that next weekend should see lots of action for the derby.

Smiley out.

Just home from family trip to Browns.
No one was catching much near the marina, lots of boats (including OBMG guides) were heading north.
Once we got to Greensea it was almost non-stop action. All depths, speeds, and leader lengths.
I even had one hit a #3 spoon without a flasher....on a trout rod....but it didn't stick, RATS!
We had more good battles than I have seen in several years, this year's school likes to peel line.
About 1 in 5 fish is a coho, we saw more than one wild ho being cleaned, yikes. I know DFO has a strong presence in that area, so all should brush up on species id.

Memorable experience was seeing a large fish swimming around with a flasher attached. It would not allow us to get close enough to net it so we cast and hooked the leader. Released the fish, a stellar wild coho at approx 13#, kept the flasher and hoochie tho ;-)
Also had one actually jump into the net, not a common event (yes it was hooked).

My guess is that next weekend should see lots of action for the derby.

Smiley out.

Great report Smiley, and coincides with most of the reports ive heard. Cant wait for the derby gonna be a gooder!

Got home today I fished Greensea Sat and Sunday noon to 2pm on Sat and 1-230pm Sunday chums showing on surface and on sonar yes lots of coho mixed in. 55ft down to 80ft worked best for us easy limits water/weather was nothing short of amazing...I was drooling over the Large Beautiful Boston Whaler yesterday powered with 3x 300hp mercs that was there fishing..what a nice boat...if your new to chum fishing easiest tip is to watch for the comm trollers guys, although our most productive flasher was white. Looking good for all who are in next weekends derby....

Out at browns the last 2 days. Same as the others have reported all our fish were at the Wall today at deepwater 35-85' . Couldn't keep them off; had mutilple double headers and even had a triple. Got our 8 in about hours; and I agree Its very hard to identify some of the ho's in the mix as some of the tell tale strips were very faint. Think we had on more than 20 fish while were out. Great fun; derby should be good.

Fished 8-11 this morning with my daughter at separation boxed 5.
Took wife out from 4-6 and landed 4 more over at the wall. Beautiful day out there!

Back