Any chum showing up at Browns Bay ?

Me and my brother fished separation head/deepwater bay from 12-4, landed 6 chum and one beauty hatchery coho that was 12 pounds. Largest chum was 15, all caught at 60 feet. Top rods at 40 never had a hit until our last pass with a triple header that created a major mess with three rods wrapped together and no fish made it to the boat. Steller day with sunshine and no winds. Lots of gillnetters heading north on the afternoon ebb.

So what is really the 'gold standard' lure to be catching Chum on right now? I was out off the mainland this weekend, could see chum jumping now and then (Doesn't mean they'll bite, however...). Tried green, purple UV Hootchie, White, and Pink Squirts, Purple Jelly Flasher/ white Flashers, etc all around 20-60ft deep, dead slow at times... Couldn't get anything to bite! Now, it's not the same abundance as where you all are getting them now, however I don't think I was doing anything wrong. Just never fished Chum before, and wanted to make sure!

Me and my brother fished separation head/deepwater bay from 12-4, landed 6 chum and one beauty hatchery coho that was 12 pounds. Largest chum was 15, all caught at 60 feet. Top rods at 40 never had a hit until our last pass with a triple header that created a major mess with three rods wrapped together and no fish made it to the boat. Steller day with sunshine and no winds. Lots of gillnetters heading north on the afternoon ebb.
Were you guys at the freshwater marina yesterday

Tomorrow we will need some luck as i think the gill netters set there nets right now. Oh well today was another good day, we fished 8-11 got our 8 chum released a wild coho lost more than that. Took My daughter out from 12-3 but the bite was off. Still got 2more and released another Wild coho.

fished 9-1 up at greensea on Monday - went 12 for about 25 (lost track of fish on) plus other hits that didn't hook up. J300's were best between 60-90 feet with regular green silver flashers. as already noted when the bite came on pretty much every boat was into fish. had a triple and a few doubles. average was about 11-12 pounds, one around 15, and two around 8 pounds. no coho for us.

Fished today from 10:30 to about 4pm. Landed 4 at Plumper (while on the flood tide). Landed two by the wall at Deep Water. By 1pm things went dead. All fished landed using blue/pink squirt hootchie, 42" leader on while flasher. 75 feet.

Some times fishing just isnt fair!!!! headed for Plumper in the fog this am. Shortly after I arrived I got a hit and run, and then a double header ...... lost all three! Stuck around for an hour until i got fed up with watching a number of boats pulling in a few. Ran up to Separation Head...... pretty good action happening-- except for me! nada! Ran over to the wall and had two guys hit a triple just in front of me! Talked to a buddy, who had 7 fish on board for three rods. We were fishing identical gear, same depth (70- 100 ft) . same speed -- even matched the speed of commercial troller that was getting a few as well.

Finally I tucked my tail between my legs and headed for the barn.....Dont need no stinking chum anyway! :-(

Chum are tough to catch.

Heading out a 9:30am for 3 straight days of chum beatings!

Last edited by a moderator:
I am on the couch this weekend. My armchair prediction is Crow 1 Duff 2 SophiaB 3
There should be sports action on this stuff .

Last edited by a moderator:
Back