SVOP - Small Vessel Operator Proficiency

Murry

Hi Everybody

I am considering taking the Small Vessel Operator Proficiency Course. I was wondering how many people on this forum, who are just recreational boat operators, have taken this course?
I'm just a ordinary fisherman and was wondering if this was a good course to take or if it's overkill, and not really recommended for just ordinary fisherman.
I've been captaining my boat, for about 10 years. I for sure do not know everything, but I wouldn't say a total novice either.

Any input or feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Everybody

I am considering taking the Small Vessel Operator Proficiency Course. I was wondering how many people on this forum, who are just recreational boat operators, have taken this course?
I'm just a ordinary fisherman and was wondering if this was a good course to take or if it's overkill, and not really recommended for just ordinary fisherman.
I've been captaining my boat, for about 10 years. I for sure do not know everything, but I wouldn't say a total novice either.

Any input or feedback would be greatly appreciated.

I have. Not a guide, just a rec boater.

I took it. It's not mandatory. It's not inexpensive. And I don't think simple for most people to take 3 days off work for it. Take the power squadron instead. SVOP has lot's to do with insurance, liability and due diligence when you have paying guests.

I’ve taken all the courses and think the best by far is the Power Squadron course for the money. I took the other courses for work and they covered a lot of the same material as the Power Squadron courses.

Power squadron courses would be better in my opinion as an average boater. SVOP is really a certification course packed on tight schedule. Designed for people in industry just to get the certified.

The squadron courses go over a span of months depending on your local squadron. I found level 1 and 2 very useful.

The radio and weather courses are good as well.

I took all the SVOP courses, last winter. I might work part time or on call, guiding or water taxi work? I took the Power Squadron 25 years ago. Which has benefited me on many occasions, over the years. I agree with others, on spending your money here. Unless you want to do commercial work. The $1500 SVOP courses aren’t that much more benefit. Definitely do the Power Squadron radio course, as well!!

any of the boating course are going to benefit you, as they give you a broader range of knowledge on which to draw from when on the water and especially when things do not go as planned.

Forgive if I'm sounding dumb, but I was looking on the web for the Power Squadron Course. I have my Pleasure Craft Operating Card and my ROC-M. What other course would be a good idea to take? Basic Boating 2 & 3??
Or am I looking on the wrong site. https://vpsboat.org/index.html

It looks like you’d want to take Basic Boating 2-3. When I took it, it was all in one course. First 2 nights, was the PCOC.

I took the Power Squadron online courses, lots of great info but I think I'd benefit more from some hands on experience. My wife has her SVOP for work, but way less time actually running the boat than me. Never launched it or docked it herself - but on paper she has the higher credentials. Anyone know any reasonable options for getting practical supervised experience on the water?

I took the Power Squadron online courses, lots of great info but I think I'd benefit more from some hands on experience. My wife has her SVOP for work, but way less time actually running the boat than me. Never launched it or docked it herself - but on paper she has the higher credentials. Anyone know any reasonable options for getting practical supervised experience on the water?
This time of year is great to spend an afternoon at the launch just practicing backing up, launching and docking in "real world" conditions.

SVOP was informative, like others have said around rules and regulations, I am glad my work paid because real world knowledge was lacking. Never went near the water let alone a boat. white board diagrams and lots of discussions but not really a great course in my opinion

SVOP was informative, like others have said around rules and regulations, I am glad my work paid because real world knowledge was lacking. Never went near the water let alone a boat. white board diagrams and lots of discussions but not really a great course in my opinion
Does anyone know if these courses get you a discount on insurance?

I am pretty sure that Datum Marine offers a Captains Boot Camp kind of course. Migth be what your looking for

Does anyone know if these courses get you a discount on insurance?
It did give me a discount on insurance. I was stoked when work signed me up for it thinking how great it would be to have, after, not so stoked, sure I learned some things but nothing beats the things I have learned from others and just time on the water.

Former Commander of one of the local Power Squadrons here. Assuming most folks already have their PCOC and Maritime Radio Certificate - ROC(M). I highly recommend the "Basic Navigation and Boat Handling - Combined (B2/B3)", the "Near Shore Marine Navigation Level 2 (B5)", "Seminar: Tides and Currents" and "Practical Weather for Boaters". Take the courses in-person if you can....that's where you get the best value & benefits....the old timers teaching the courses know their stuff plus have a ton of valuable, practical local knowledge. I used to get a 30% discount on insurance but they've reduced that lately. There are a ton of other freebies and discounts you get with a Power Squadron annual membership which are well worth it.

Last edited:
Thanks all. I'll look into some of these. I did look for in person when I signed up for power squadron earlier this year but couldn't find any close to me. Maybe I didn't look hard enough.

Back