Any Chance of a crab in Kyuquot?

likwit

This year for our annual kayak trip we will be in Kyuquot sound... we are starting at the bottom end of the Brooks and working our way down.

A little while ago there was a post about sea otters and their effects on local shellfish and crustacean populations. Any one know if there are any decent crab populations in the area? We were thinking of bringing a collapsible trap with the hopes of catching a few crab, but if there are very few around i don't think we'll bother...

cheers,

likwit

Likwit I can’t say anything about the crabs but there are lots and lots of sea otters there. I did see some guys fishing from their kayaks and if it were me, I would bring my salmon rod and have one of those lunkers pull me around. GLG

The reports are right the sea otters keep them in check! From Brooks down to Estavan Point crabbing is questionable and I haven’t had much luck. I have picked up a few and if you know where... you can pick up some, but you really do need to know where! Locals can help out if they will share the information with you. Crabbing really starts to get good just north of Tofino!

But, you might try some prawns! Pawning in that area has been good to me in the past, depending on when the commercial boats go through.

PS... if you do decide to do some Spring fishig... it's really good around Spring Island!

Went fishing in Kyuquot for the first time last year and brought 4 crab traps. All the locals just laughed and said what are you going to do with those. Lots of sea otters = very few crabs we found out.

interesting... kind of sounds like i feared. maybe its worth a shot... we'll see...

we were there last year and i trolled from my kayak quite a bit... lots of coho, but no springers... i'll try and change that this year! gotta get the line deeper i think...

quote:Originally posted by likwit

interesting... kind of sounds like i feared. maybe its worth a shot... we'll see...

we were there last year and i trolled from my kayak quite a bit... lots of coho, but no springers... i'll try and change that this year! gotta get the line deeper i think...

If you do try to crab... think DEEP! Out of Sea Otter range! LOL
Get you line down to at least 30 feet for Springs! I always start at 32 feet off the downrigger and 25 pulls back! Hope this helps!

Good luck!

Back