If you could go anywhere for crab 🦀

I’m heading to the island tomorrow to pick up my boat and my kids only want to go for crab as they are fished out! 😂 what a year…. We are willing to go almost anywhere on the island or mainland and want to target our limit in crab. Years ago I wouldn’t have asked this question but it seems like between otters and commercial guys (and stand up girls) they seem to be few and far between. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Fyi We will be leaving out of Parksville.

Commercial guys out of Pville are hitting it hard so further away from here the better I would assume.

We had 2 traps at Sidney spit last week and got Nada. Commercial traps are carpet bombing that whole area.

North end of the island or Port Renfrew would be best bets for big dungy, fishing off the government dock in deep bay will get your limit of red rock, but for the price off gas just go buy them. If you like chasing cougar Darcy's is the place to go could even drop a trap for fun in the inner harbour for the highly sought after crabs n cougar combo.

North end of the island or Port Renfrew would be best bets for big dungy, fishing off the government dock in deep bay will get your limit of red rock, but for the price off gas just go buy them. If you like chasing cougar Darcy's is the place to go could even drop a trap for fun in the inner harbour for the highly sought after crabs n cougar combo.
The sea otters have done a lot of clean up especially at the north end from what i understand

Port Renfrew has been fished out. Commercial and sporties hit that area hard all spring and summer. Best time is March to June.

Look at your charts for smaller, remote estuaries with eel grass. Commercial guys will not bother and maybe the recreational guys didn't get there.

Texada island Indian arm?
Bahahaha. My cougar hunting days are over.

Yes that has been my experience lately aswell. Looks like some wind coming in this weekend. Maybe it’s Indian arm…..?
Sweet F-all up up at the north end of Indian arm from my limited experience. That reef at the north end of croker yielded a small keeper red rock and a couple undersize dungies on a 1.5 hour soak for me. Maybe you’ll have better luck.

Beacher Bay.
Gotta sift through a ton of females and smalls but i got 4 keepers from 2 traps on a three hour soak today. Probably 20+ in each one.
If you're up for checking/rebaiting a few times a day i'd imagine you'd do well there.

Commercial guys out of Pville are hitting it hard so further away from here the better I would assume.
Parksville area has never been a bionic Dungy spot and it’s even less appealing to me by French Creek with the sewer outfall.

Back