Ukluelet and a Zodiac

Chasmatt10

We're bringing the family out to Ukluelet in about a week and a half. Camping out at the Ukee campground for 10 days and bringing our 20hp Zodiac. Plan on staying in sheltered areas but still want to catch fish, we haven't salt water fished before. I've been doing a lot of reading and researching, is there any tips, tricks or gotchas that you folk would share? Don't want to get into a regrettable situation.

Been in your position big fleet catching coho and chinook just up from the lighthouse and at wya and only three to six k out of the ukee entrance 40 to sixty feet deep on skinny gee herring aid
And your in the fish early bite was most consistent

Something like this 40' behind your boat is all you need

88c04c17-bffa-49fe-9f8b-a1ded5a74c17-jpeg.95498

No gaffs and don’t let any rockfish or dogfish get near the pontoons....the slow hiss of defeat...it just takes one spine

I rowed my 9 foot Avon Redcrest out to the Lighthouse back in the good old days when camping with the fam——I also rowed out of Tofino into a big surf (and had several guys pull up next to me and ask if I was nuts; yes, I’m nuts I replied)

But I caught springs both times...that’s the part I remember. I used jigs —-you don’t have to go too far out of Ucluelet harbor to be in real fishy water as Kalec mentioned

If you have an outboard that rig that Dogbreath shows in his post will definitely get the job done, especially for coho

No gaffs and don’t let any rockfish or dogfish get near the pontoons....the slow hiss of defeat...it just takes one spine

I rowed my 9 foot Avon Redcrest out to the Lighthouse back in the good old days when camping with the fam——I also rowed out of Tofino into a big surf (and had several guys pull up next to me and ask if I was nuts; yes, I’m nuts I replied)

But I caught springs both times...that’s the part I remember. I used jigs —-you don’t have to go too far out of Ucluelet harbor to be in real fishy water as Kalec mentioned

If you have an outboard that rig that Dogbreath shows in his post will definitely get the job done, especially for coho
OK awesome, I do have an outboard and a ten gallon tank, should give Merc some good range. Didn't know rockfish/dogfish were so sharp, good to know. A buddies gave me the rigs pictured, are they useful?

Attachments

• 20230804_204619.jpg
    20230804_204619.jpg
    211.3 KB · Views: 26
Be prepared for fog!!
It’s called Fogust.
It’s usually foggy in the morning and burns off later in the morning, or gets blown away by the afternoon NW wind.
Ideally have a VHF and a GPS.
But Navionics is good too. Cell service is good in most places too.

Be prepared for fog!!
It’s called Fogust.
It’s usually foggy in the morning and burns off later in the morning, or gets blown away by the afternoon NW wind.
Ideally have a VHF and a GPS.
But Navionics is good too. Cell service is good in most places too.
How much visibility is typical? Should I pick up a radar reflector so the bigger boats can see us? I do have a GPS, but I don't think my radio will be delivered before we head out, is there handheld available at the local fishing shops?

If you look at environment Canada Marine weather. You can look at posted lighthouse conditions, at Amphitrite and Cape Beale. It’s not uncommon to have 1/8 mile or less!! But you’re right in that area, anyways. So if it’s foggy I’d wait it out. It’s not worth the risk!! Or trailer to Secret Beach. The fog tends to dissipate faster farther into Barkley Sound. You’re less exposed to bad weather there anyways. Or maybe plan to camp there? Toquart is a nice area and a short run to some good in-sound fishing spots.
Your cell should work. There’s a cell tower right up on the mountain above. I called in sick from 25 mile bank once. Was worth it!!! We limited out on Springs, coho, Hali, and Lings that day! For 3 guys.

If you're headed for the Food Islets area as Kaelc suggested, I'd second that recommendation. I was there last weekend. It's fairly protected, but tends to get windier in the afternoon. If you go out in nice weather then get caught in the fog you can slowly pick your way back along the coastline...or wait it out amongst the islets.

This spot:

There's kelp beds all around the islets and you'll have plenty fun picking up black rockfish by jigging around the rocks. Rockfish don't seem to picky so almost any saltwater jig will work. I also picked up a couple chinook and coho in the area just past the islets (heading away from Ucluelet). We used a Skinny G in Herring Aid and a white hoochy about 30'' back from the flasher. I think the flashers you have would be fine. The diver that Dogbreath suggested will work great. You don't need to be too deep.

OK awesome, I do have an outboard and a ten gallon tank, should give Merc some good range. Didn't know rockfish/dogfish were so sharp, good to know. A buddies gave me the rigs pictured, are they useful?
I ran a 2014 20hp merc on a 14' soft bottom zodiac. I got about 4-5km/L for mileage, depending on conditions, with maybe 300lbs in the boat, excluding the engine. 100 km per 24L jerry was pretty reliable.

If you want to be extra careful with the rockfish, throw them in a rubber made tote as soon as you bring them in the boat. You won't have to worry about the spines puncturing a tube that way.

I ran a 2014 20hp merc on a 14' soft bottom zodiac. I got about 4-5km/L for mileage, depending on conditions, with maybe 300lbs in the boat, excluding the engine. 100 km per 24L jerry was pretty reliable.

If you want to be extra careful with the rockfish, throw them in a rubber made tote as soon as you bring them in the boat. You won't have to worry about the spines puncturing a tube that way.
That's pretty much exactly what we're running. The Rubbermaid bin is a great idea!

Back