Ancoring and halibut fishing!!!!

Didnt you know all the halibut are under your boat Cory and Dan!!!!!!!!!!!! I think what happens is its the "gang" mentality and safety in numbers as if you and I are fishing a spot we have to be there for a reason as every halibut comes to "US" I know that boat. he is just as bad a salmon fisherman as well!!!!

Nice F'en nice soon or later people will figure it out but it will come to the expense of gear lost as this case or worse a sinking of a boat or someone cutting someones anchor off which is very very tempting.

Wolf

What a NooB! he should find his own rock too hide under. The same guy cut us off twice last year salmon fishing. What a clown!

Watch where you put down your anchor in Parry Bay this week, just south of Albert Head . I'm watching the big green hulled prawner lay down 2 lines of traps as I post this. Keep the the mk 1 eyeball peeled for his floats.
T2

No Rigours

Was going to start a new topic but decided to dig this one up. What do most of you guys run for total anchor line length?

Also, what do you guys call to deep for halis? have you ever gotten them over 300ft deep?

-Steve

50feet chain,450 line,75feet secondfloat. have fished 270 lots and caught lots of hallys deep.It just how deep you like to bring up your line 5 to 25 times to check it.You get hallys at any depth deepper doesn;t meen more hally. Fishing is for fun not work.Try 135 to 175 you will be happy that to start with good luck

I'm new to hali fishing as of this year and bought an anchor puller and had a scotchman givin to me. I only have the rope the boat came with and its only 150 feet long. I know everyone on here likes to have a scope of at least 3 to one if not more however for me thats not possible. I will have to go out and buy a longer rope but for this year I will have make do with what I have. We did manage to find a spot a little ways away from where a lot of other people fish for hali's and its not very deep at all. Was more or less just learning how to drop the anchor and use the puller so we found a flat spot all to ourselves to drop the anchor but the tide was going a lot faster then it looked. I must have read over and over the posts regarding safety and anchoring and I'm glad I did. It was only our second time dropping the anchor but by knowing about the current and keeping the bow in the right direction we did manage to get anchored with no problem other then my heart wanting to jump out of my chest. I took a video of us anchored in the tide and it was ripping.... with one hand on the release rope at all times till I was sure things were ok we sat and waited for slack tide. Now I have a gps so I will be able to see the speed of our drift and will be able to read the water better as to not put the anchor down in such a fast tide. We did manage to get some chickens out of our little spot we had all to our selves. I will post my video on you tube then put a link to the video on here. After you see the video I'm sure most will say we were dumb @sses for trying to anchor in such a fast tide but safety was always first on our minds at all times. I never once felt like we were in danger of sinking the boat but if it wasn't for knowing what could go wrong then the day might not have ended as good as it did.
IMG_0669.jpg

IMG_0654.jpg
[/img]

And remember....Keep your tip up!!!

hey nice fish - but really you have no business anchoring in fast water with only 150' of rope not to mention not knowing exactly what the current is doing BEFORE you drop your pick. You got away this time without an issue but next time you might not be so lucky.

Don't be cheap buy some rope. You don't need sampson braid just some 400-600' of crab line will work fine.

What you're doing is not safe, be careful.

http://www.fishingvancouverisland.org - Win an 8-Hour WCVI Charter!

Thanks juandesooka,
I will try and post the video later tonight if I can. I was checking out the Victoria tides and it looks like October 11th and November 8th both look like great tides to go Hali fishin. I'm thinking I'll give it another try then..... Steve.

Yes Poppa Swiss, I agree with you..... there could have been a problem if something went wrong and I know problems happen real fast out on the water. Next time I don't think I would anchor in as fast of tide as we did. Yes we were lucky nothing went wrong and the experiance has only made me wiser to the dangers of anchoring in a tide.

It takes seconds for a boat to swing and sink simple im happy you came out ok but do whatever you want most wont anchor in a strong current plain and simple its not worth it. hopefully you did learn from it as i have seen many a person not or stay way to long...

One time I saw the wind coming ( on the west end) and told the a fellow about 1/4 mile a way from im out of here as the wind was coming (flat calm at the time) he said ahhhh its fine so after I got back and put the boat in the berth drove to esq anglers he was just coming in and he was white as a ghost crap was every where in his boat as it was a small 16 ft er, asked him if he was ok, he said should have listened" NO F,EN HALIBUT IS WORTH THAT!!!!!!!!"

Just go on more caution As it takes more time to lift anchor and run in especially offshore....

Just be carefull

Good luck Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

Smiley, you could anchor your boat with the correct equipment. And i would not anchor without a second man in the boat to be ready with a knife when pulling as your boat may not have the weight behind it to pop it off if stuck solid. Also using the zip ties helps alot!

-Steve

IF YOU ARE NOT CONFIDENT HIRE A GUIDE OR GO OUT WITH SOMEBODY ATLEAST A DOZEN TIMES BEFORE YOU ANCHOR YOUR OWN BOAT, YES IAM YELLING. Also, get framilar with the Muarrys Tables and your current atlas too...

This day was much calmer for anchoring as you can see by the pictures. We made the rope longer from the bouy and I think everything is right now.

IMG_0706.jpg
[/img]

Back