Ancoring and halibut fishing!!!!

quote:Originally posted by chinook

chuming is totally illegal, you will get ticketed up the ying yang.[:0]
Yea, I know I am a Yank, but I don't think that is correct?

Unless, you are talking about "Fresh Water". British Columbia Freshwater Fishing Regulations Synopsis, pg 9, states:
"Chumming… attempting to attract fish by depositing any substance in the water, is prohibited."

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/fish/regulations/docs/0911/fish-synopsis_2009-11.pdf

I don't think you will find that anywhere involving Salt Water or Tidal regulations?

Just spoke with DFO . Chumming for Halibut is NOT illegal. They discourage it though because of the safety issue of having extra lines off a boat when you are anchored in a high current area.

The officer suggested putting a prawn trap off your anchor line. He wanted to remind fisherman that you cannot have any hooks attached to traps or chum boxes and you can be fined heavily for doing so.

beemer

Here is a start for the anchoring hall of shame. I was anchored at Constance this morning in a 4 knot ebb. After landing a chicken the two boats in this photo anchor less than 250' away from me. Not cool considering the conditions. The larger boat broke anchor and in the picture he is trying to get his lines in that are caught on the bottom while trying to stay off the other guys anchor line and get his own anchor in.He was within 5 feet of the smaller boats anchor line with his prop several times. He nearly landed on top of the other clown. Next time the outcome could be tragic. KEEP YOUR DISTANCE!!!

IMG_0364.jpg
[/img]

Hey beemer

Going from your picture I'm wondering if you were you fishing off your downrigger while anchored? ...I've never done this before... I'm guessing when the current picks up too much the ol riggers can get to the bottom better then the spreaders.

yah , you got it. it works great in heavy current. Gotta be quick on getting the ball up when you get a fish on as it can turn into a cluster f very quickly.

Great thread you guys. Thanks for the clarification Wolf. Hearing this just further convinces me that anchoring is way more trouble and danger than its worth. For those wondering if its really necessary in order to catch halibut in JDF, I can assure you its not. Please take the time to figure out your drift so you don't cross any anchor lines, don't drop your gear either directly behind or in front of an anchored boat, and have the decency to pull your gear if you do get close to another boat and you should avoid any confrontation.

I'd agree that as a Charter guide you need to be completely consistent, and don't have the luxury of picking only the best days to go out, so it makes sense. For a weekend warrior like me (who really only needs two or three 40 - 60's to feed the family for a year anyway)it ain't worth the trouble. Back trolling works just fine and it appears I'm less likely to lose my boat, or offend anyone by doing it.

See you out there, and if I catch you dropping a pick anywhere along my 1\2 mile drift, I'll consider it tresspassing, will slag the living daylights out of you on this site, and then post your photo!!! ;)

Gooey

hey trowser, if you are on a spreader about 10'. I am not sure how other guys do it , but I get the ball down to the bottom and then wind up 5' then I tension up the reel like salmon fishing. I still use a 1 lb ball on the spreader. I have had pretty good success with it. The only caution would be that as the current slows all the gear will drop to the bottom and will result in tangles if you don't keep your eye on it. Good luck.

How does one explain the use of a ten pound ball on a downrigger when we are limited to 2 pounds fishing halibut?

Thanks Beemer I'll have to give a try next time the current gets going too much.

Jimbob that's news to me... do you have the source?

Easy. You use a clip on the DR line to hold your bait. Fish strikes and hopefully hooks - you're on!! Then again if you're fishing in those conditions, chances of hooking up a hali are slim...methinks
quote:Originally posted by jimbob

How does one explain the use of a ten pound ball on a downrigger when we are limited to 2 pounds fishing halibut?

JUST FISHEN'

Legal as long as clip releases line with 1 lb ball. From the website:

quote:It is illegal to fish with a fixed weight (sinker) greater than one kg except on a downrigger line, in which case the fishing line must be attached to the downrigger by means of an automatic release clip. The clip must free the fishing line from the downrigger line when the fish takes the lure, allowing the fish to be retrieved by rod and reel or separate handline.

www.kayaks2.com

Hey jimbob , Island boy is correct , not against any regs. If you want to be successful doing this you have to choose the right bottom terrain. It seems to work.

Back