Ancoring and halibut fishing!!!!

I love how the guy is looking at you "WHAT ARE WE TOO CLOSE"???
I cant believe they even put there gear down!!!!!

IDOITS, the name of there boats is quite suiting really!!!!

Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

Just a short note for you gentes who use the chumming system. It"s comming to an end. Heard it wright from DFO. Not sure when but soon.

B.B.

in my opinion i have caught just as many halis without chumming as i do chumming.seems being at the right place at the right time is more important.

Gotta ask… wasn’t there any yelling over that? Way to close, I think I would have been screaming some very choice words! [?]

I've fished my whole life on the ocean but never with my own boat...until now. I feel like a rookie, asking stupid questions about things I always took for granted until you're out there with your own stuff. If you see a white Thunderjet doing something he shouldn't, feel free to call me or educate me. Still learning. Good luck out there!

Hey Serengeti , Chumming is not illegal for halibut as long as no hooks or capture device are attached to the chum box. It might be difficult for DFO to stop this practice as many fishermen put a prawn trap down on their anchor line and this practice really has the same results as putting down a chum box.

I have seen and done many a clusterF using a chum box. Line and fish getting tangled in the chum box line , tangled in the anchor line or outdrive on a current shift. It is not for beginners!

That said I really don't think you get an advantage using chum. The fish may get to your chum box and not your line then move on.I have fished without chum and done better than boats around me using chum. Hey and the fish may not like your old ladies seafood lasagna.

beemer

So another halibut derby and some more clowns on the watee and more yelling!!!!!!!!!!!!not by me as I have gotten to the point where I just shake my head in disbelieve....
here is my observations from the great day on sat. where the weather was the best this year.

A forum member on here who "found" me this week fishing and then proceeded to come up and ask me "hows it going"then quite obvious corked that way point as Ive never seen him in those parts of the waters EVER go find your own spots dont piggy back of a fellow "guide" which you are trying to be. cmon man be a fisherman and go find your "own" spots you know who you are enough said!!!!!

Just like I posted last year guys all the halibut do not live under a charter boats boat you may think they do but when you "pile in" on top of each other and say there is 10 boats there and only a few fish you are all competing for those fish your odds are greatly reduced!!!!!! safty in numbers definatlly do not apply in this case STAY AWAY I HAVE A LOT OF ANCHOR LINE OUT</u>(by the way thanks for the new spreder bars, weights, and hootchies)
Go find a spot all by yourself hence increasing your odds.
Watched a few guys anchor on top of fellow fisherman then after a bit when we started to swing OOOOPPPS too close so they wasted valuable time settting then lifting then moving watched these two clowns do it all day long.

MY GOD leave fellow anglers alone not speaking as a guide but an angler why create grief and anger when its really not neede out there fishing is for fun but when people do this is make people frustrated and angry hence me writing this......

HALIBUT2010048.jpg

HALIBUT2010049.jpg

notice the fine anchoring behind me.......NICE

And this last guy almost on top of me with the name of his boat "LUNG FISH" whats with that name??????
HALIBUT2010050.jpg

Thanks for letting me rant

Wolf

So another halibut derby and some more clowns on the watee and more yelling!!!!!!!!!!!!not by me as I have gotten to the point where I just shake my head in disbelieve....
here is my observations from the great day on sat. where the weather was the best this year.

A forum member on here who "found" me this week fishing and then proceeded to come up and ask me "hows it going"then quite obvious corked that way point as Ive never seen him in those parts of the waters EVER go find your own spots dont piggy back of a fellow "guide" which you are trying to be. cmon man be a fisherman and go find your "own" spots you know who you are enough said!!!!!

Just like I posted last year guys all the halibut do not live under a charter boats boat you may think they do but when you "pile in" on top of each other and say there is 10 boats there and only a few fish you are all competing for those fish your odds are greatly reduced!!!!!! safty in numbers definatlly do not apply in this case STAY AWAY I HAVE A LOT OF ANCHOR LINE OUT</u>(by the way thanks for the new spreder bars, weights, and hootchies)
Go find a spot all by yourself hence increasing your odds.
Watched a few guys anchor on top of fellow fisherman then after a bit when we started to swing OOOOPPPS too close so they wasted valuable time settting then lifting then moving watched these two clowns do it all day long.

MY GOD leave fellow anglers alone not speaking as a guide but an angler why create grief and anger when its really not neede out there fishing is for fun but when people do this is make people frustrated and angry hence me writing this......

HALIBUT2010048.jpg

HALIBUT2010049.jpg

notice the fine anchoring behind me.......NICE

And this last guy almost on top of me with the name of his boat "LUNG FISH" whats with that name??????
HALIBUT2010050.jpg

Thanks for letting me rant

Wolf

quote:Watched a few guys anchor on top of fellow fisherman then after a bit when we started to swing OOOOPPPS too close

Plus they anchored right behind me they were bordering on being to close for my liking but like I said I just shake my head. the pic doesnt do it any justice the one guy is only about 200 ft from me lucky my boat didnt swing like it should have with that weird current on sat if it did he would have been able to join me for an afternoon bevie......LOL

Wolf

quote:Watched a few guys anchor on top of fellow fisherman then after a bit when we started to swing OOOOPPPS too close

Plus they anchored right behind me they were bordering on being to close for my liking but like I said I just shake my head. the pic doesnt do it any justice the one guy is only about 200 ft from me lucky my boat didnt swing like it should have with that weird current on sat if it did he would have been able to join me for an afternoon bevie......LOL

Wolf

a beautiful friday and saturday on the strait. i find you don't have to be anchored to attract the aholes, just appear to know what you are doing and automatically they will come past you 100 or fewer feet, leaving big wakes and looking over their shoulder to see if you are hooked up. interesting to me, i saw, for the first time, folks on this side of the border anchoring up and hali fishing.

Worst one of the weekend for me was sat afternoon flat calm no boats around me my guest is playing a decent size fish all of a sudden a 17ft eagle comes roaring out of no where sees us playing a fish does a circle around us at half plane, pointing and keeps going now were in a **** storm of waves for no reason other than the guy was a jerkoff.

One thing we as guides have to remember were used to being out there all week with no pressure just because boats show up there on weekends doesn't mean they corked you the spots are on the chart for everyone to see and it's not rocket science tp see the good spots.

I fished at least 4 spots on the weekend and got fish at every spot and only one spot had a few boats there the rest i was by myself ,try looking for the not so obvious spots on the chart there's just as many fish and no competition = more fish for you.

OH this guy knew what he was doing he corked me plain and simple 3 days prior, its not a big deal but and here is the big one if someone is already there go somewhere else.

They beat you too the spot cause you know theres only halibut in that part of the ocean right there no where else just there.

JUST become a fisherman and find your own spot thats all We ask trust me its a lot more rewarding when you find somewhere thats not on a chart and you fish it and accually get one.....

GOOD LUCK WOLF

ahha i've never seen you mad jackel never heard you yell on the radio either lol.

Yup your rite wolf it more rewarding when you do it on your own.

I know this is somewhat off topic but close. I was trolling at Squatterie near Prince Rupert and from out of nowhere this boat is heading straight for me even making corrections to keep on impact heading. He is about 80 ft in front and he comes to a stop right in my path and starts to set up gear. I make a correction to miss but pass close and he looks at me and says fishing? WTF, no I was just waiting for him to get here!?#@$%!?.:(:([}:)]:D

IMG_1445.jpg

I have agree with wolf!

What a Nightmare.

I took some pics of guys who dogpiled on me on Saterday and they turmed out looking just fine distace wise on camera. Trust me the pictures don't do justice, it was far from fine. I could have pissed on this clown. He was glued to my butt all day. We finally asked him if he wanted to just park his boat and fish with us, or just raft up to me. No clue..Resonse was "lots of room".

Day two, Several real special corkaroo's followed by a whole array of guys dragging anchor from one side of me down the other.

I will never ever fish in any less than 400 feet of water in that derby again. Should know better by now. My RANT and Whine of the day.

Today was nice out there though.

www.tailspincharters.com

Wolf, you will enjoy this ! We shared your frustration on Saturday with these jackasses about 30 min. before they joined you !
We already had an anchored boat way to close to us then here came "Lung Fish" and he was about to split the difference and drop anchor between us and the other boat already to close to us! He decides to come around to the other side of us and drops anchor even closer !!!! They tried to drop their gear to the bottom but didn't have enough line on their downriggers so they had to leave ! We saw them leave in the direction of other boats.. I see they came and did the exact same thing to you next! From the time they anchored to the time they left you could of filmed a show of all the things not to do when halibut fishing ! They go pull their anchor they did not have enough rope length between there boat and buoy, they almost ran over the rope with their motor! I said to Cory, we might have to do a rescue here.. these clowns might get in trouble... lucky it was a calm day.

Halibutderby2010004.jpg

Halibutderby2010010.jpg

Back