Ancoring and halibut fishing!!!!

quote:Originally posted by Gypseas

What would you do??

Hooked on a pinnacle that could accomodate 3-4 boats tops about a week ago. Was the first on it about an hour before the tide change. As my boat started turning another boat showed up, motored around me twice looking for a spot to anchor I'm thinking and finnaly drops anchor a good distance away from me.
Now this fruit in a Seasport comes and drops his anchor upstream current right on top of mine.
Wind and current started picking up and wanted to go i had to run against current probably close to 30-40ft from his boat. That and 5-6ft swell (no kidding) made it for an interesting lift. Now if the anchor would have been stuck hard to the bottom, that could've been lotsa fun...NOT.
Now the question is: did they do it on purpose or just too friggen ignorant to their surroundings. :(:(:(

Yeah and just to make it more interesting couple of guys while i was anchored motor to the back of my boat 30 some ft and says "no worries we're just drifting" right on bud [xx(]

On a bright note I did catch a 4ft doggie, safely released.[}:)]

JUST FISHEN'

Just a case of ignorance or not knowing. Like guys that wait at the harbour mouth to follow a guide boat.

Last Chance Fishing Adventures

www.lastchancefishingadventures.com
www.swiftsurebank.com

Hey LastChance;

Thanks for that info, I too have never anchor'd for hali fishing before. All of this anchor talk can sound a little intimidating for the novice. Don't get me wrong, I know how to "sail" a vessel, but I have never really had to drop anchor before. Sure, anyone can kick their anchor overboard and when it stops falling to the bottom, tie it up...., but reading the posts' on this site leads me to believe that there is a science to "anchoring", and I would like to learn how to do it safely and correctly.I would gladly appreciate any info or pic's on your set up. I have a 25' footer and am looking to set myself up for some hali fishing, "anchoring" style. And thanks to everyone else here for offering valuable information on this forum. It does "not" go unappreciated..... :):):)

I'm in Wolf's camp on this one. Three weeks ago I was anchored off East Constance with no boats for a couple of miles and then a boat showed up and anchored within 100 feet of me. Of course they had a shorter rope than I did so when the tide started to change we swung on different arcs to the point that they ended up within 30 feet of me before they finally figured out that they should pull anchor. To make matters worse they drove right over my anchor line when they lifted and it could have been a real mess but I waved them in a different direction and they finally clued in.

Personally I think that it is mostly stupidity rather than intention to get close but the effect is the same.

I like LC's idea of THE WALL OF SHAME!

Can you imagine? Some goof new to hali-fishin' (like me) seeing his boat on the internet's "DOUCHE-BAG SCORN-PAGE"

I think most would tend to pay more attention to simple courtesy and manners then...

Igone It really isnt that tricky like Kelly said but there are certain things you really have to look for making sure you anchor in the right direction with current and wind as setting the anchor is the most crutial, if you make a mistake and it wraps around your leg it will spin the boat so fast and sink it and trust me it happens VERY fast ive only seen it once but the guy was darn quick on the knife and then he lost everything and half filled his boat with water.

My suggestion to you is to go out with someone who has done it ALOTnot just 5 or 6 times,or hire one of the many guides on here and pick his brain and no im not trying to drum up business I just want new people to who hali fish to be safe and learn it right the first time so you do go thru a whole anchor set and mistakes that do happen.

I too had to learn and there are a few anchors on the bottom from when I first started. LOL LOL thanks to race rocks.

AS Kelly said earlier im going to take pics and post the next set of tides think thats a great idea.where is that pic?????

Wolf

quote:Originally posted by LastChance

quote:Originally posted by Island Fish Lifter

Ive never anchored to hali fish before.. How deep of water are you anchoring in and what kind of anchor would a guy use for a 27'boat? Id like to give it a try sometime, but it doesnt sound as easy as I would have thought.

nootkalasttrip015.jpg
We usually anchor 140-280 feet around here. It's a riot, usually slower action then drifting the chicken banks, but quality fish. My 26 footers uses 30 feet of 5/16" chain, and a 15 pound Lewmar Claw anchor, set through a hoop attached to a large Scotsman bouy. I then have a piece of re-bar I tie to the rope so when I have let out the amount of rhode I want depending on my depth, it stops at the float, then give it 30 feet or so, and attach to a zip line running from around the middle of the boat to the front. Fish away during low currents, and when it comes time to pull, run upstream against the float, and it will pull the anchor right up to the float and have it waiting there for you (The chain going through the hoop under the float holds it there).

It's really not that tricky.

www.swiftsurebank.com

Sounds like a great idea.. Off to Ocean Pacific, then to the Twin Pinnacles!!!! Yeeehawww!

nootkalasttrip015.jpg

quote:Originally posted by wolf

I too had to learn and there are a few anchors on the bottom from when I first started. LOL LOL thanks to race rocks.
You still anchor at "race rocks"?
You're a better man than me! :)

This weekend was bad for that.At the race I had a big yellow boat anchor right on top of me.As the tide swung around he lost a setup on my anchor.An hour later a sea sport that was tring to drift my scenttrail 30 feet away from my boat hooked into my anchor with 2 out of 3 rods!Then the tide swung around and we were about to hook the yellow guys anchor,so I pulled the anchor by hand,collected their gear,moved over 500 feet and banged off a couple of chickens.They are everywhere down there especially at a place like that.It is a huge area and theres no need to anchor on top of or drift on top of anyone else.First one there gets the spot-get up earlier next time if you want it that bad.
That being said,there does seem like a huge increase in the number of clueless/inconsiderate new halibut fishermen locally in the last few years,which strangely enough seems to coincide with the popularity of this website and its "anchoring for newbs" threads.hmmm

quote:Originally posted by Charlie

There's lots of good fishing there!

www.swiftsurebank.com

Its better fishing at Constants ;)

quote:Originally posted by Morty

quote:Originally posted by Charlie

There's lots of good fishing there!

www.swiftsurebank.com

Its better fishing at Constants ;)

Nope, no fish there, never has been [^]

www.swiftsurebank.com

Not always other boats causing grief. A buddy of mine was anchored and doing some fishing when his bow started to go under. He says a large log that was just under the surface got caught in his rope and started to pull his boat under. Luckily he was able to cut the anchor line.

quote:That being said,there does seem like a huge increase in the number of clueless/inconsiderate new halibut fishermen locally in the last few years,which strangely enough seems to coincide with the popularity of this website and its "anchoring for newbs" threads.hmmm

Yes and thats the problem as a lot of these people have taken it upon themselves to "DO IT" on there own because I can tell you anyone of the "guides" on here would have given anyone the dos and dont of what to do and NOT do do some people just dont get it.All the guides on here have said time and time again do it right just once.

Like someone commented earlier I am more safety minded than most and that really is my main concern as this is just fishing its not rocket science and it shouldnt be like this.

People really dont understand how wind and current effect things out there it may only be a 0.5 knt current and you may think its slow but it isnt it has incredable FORCE and people unfortunally underestimate tide and wind that is the most problem from what I see until its too late and then your on top of someone.

If you have doubt in your mind if your too close than you probablly are and ask yourself if you were already anchored up would you like someone that close to you?????

Life is like a sewer. What you get out of it depends on what you put into it. Tom Lehrer

Good luck wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

if you are anchoring for halibut, do you use any chum and if so, what do you use to get it and keep it on the bottom? If you tie it to the anchor line, it could end up quite a distance from where you are actually fishing.

Robert Mains

My first thought was chumming was illegal as well. I have read the regulations and can't find anything to say it is NOT allowed. It is a common method of fishing in other areas of the world. I think it must be legal.

BH

Back