Ancoring and halibut fishing!!!!

just get some crab line - its cheap and you should be able to find it used. If the current is going more then 2knots don't anchor, its not worth it.

you are getting beat up a lot in this thread, but man I don't think you have a clue how foolish you are being.

http://www.fishingvancouverisland.org - Win an 8-Hour WCVI Charter!

Someone's suggestion that makes sense to me...[correct me if I'm wrong]

If you're unsure of current and you're using an anchor-scotsman combo, then drop the anchor, line, scotsman, unattached to your boat. Let it set up, then approach from down current and clip on. If the ball has disappeared under water, then current was too strong to be fooling around, come back for it later.

Hey, there's an idea....write your name and number with marker on your scotsman! Another "to do" on the list...

quote:you are getting beat up a lot in this thread, but man I don't think you have a clue how foolish you are being.
WTF!!!.... Well Poppa Swiss Maybe you should explain it to me???

And remember....Keep your tip up!!!

I can't @#*% win, .... I'm trying to be nice... but really..... ??? I can't do right on here.... l've brought up 2 things over the past year about anchoring and both times I get shot down.... thanks for the concern but I think I get the picture..... I'll never be as good of a fisherman as most of the guys on here but at least I give my support to people. No wonder so many people lurk on here..... Open your mouth and you get crapped on..... @#*%!!! Thats my 2 cents worth... and I'm sure I'll hear about this too!!!!

quote:If you're unsure of current and you're using an anchor-scotsman combo, then drop the anchor, line, scotsman, unattached to your boat. Let it set up, then approach from down current and clip on. If the ball has disappeared under water, then current was too strong to be fooling around, come back for it later.
That's a good idea juandesooka, Thanks.

Sea I think what has happened is you opened the door and we walked in No pun intended LOL.
The most ill anchor on is about a 1.2 knt if I know its droppping but after almost 20 years of doing this is, I still hate anchoring as Ive seen way too many close calls by people, your video being one its not so much current speed its the force of which that speed was generated you have to "learn" the types of tide/current combos.

For instance if you have a fast falling ebb tide and say your fishing the east constance area you will get hit harder sooner and your window for fishing will be cut down considerablly as the water is really being pushed through and around discovery island.

But in the same time closer in towards vic you would be fine, it takes a long time to figure everything out I learnt by writing EVERYTHING down and compared it to the current atlas and look over it and study it.

Points that I have put on a spread sheet has close to 20 different things i write and check off after a day of fishing and a bit extra for writing even more notes.things like when the tide really was fishable, time I hit fish/on what,which rod,bait,depth,what the conditions were sunny/cloudy/rain/ etc plus alot more then ill look back year after year as my journal tells me what ive done and trust me you do see a pattern.

Hope that helps

Good Luck Wolf

p.s. what jaun said I also dont like as I witnessed a guy try that in a bit of chop and over shot it and tried backing up only to get it wrapped around the prop and his boat spun like a top with the transom into the current lucky it was an inboard as it almost went under luck he was smart enough to cut the rope he accually dove in to cut it as he knew he was in deep DOO DOO by then. and he said he barly touched the rope and snap off it came.

So you see when you think your in control your really not, I personally dont ever want to see anyone get hurt out there thats all

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

quote:Originally posted by wolf

Sea I think what has happened is you opened the door and we walked in No pun intended LOL.
The most ill anchor on is about a 1.2 knt if I know its droppping but after almost 20 years of doing this is, I still hate anchoring as Ive seen way too many close calls by people, your video being one its not so much current speed its the force of which that speed was generated you have to "learn" the types of tide/current combos.

For instance if you have a fast falling ebb tide and say your fishing the east constance area you will get hit harder sooner and your window for fishing will be cut down considerablly as the water is really being pushed through and around discovery island.

But in the same time closer in towards vic you would be fine, it takes a long time to figure everything out I learnt by writing EVERYTHING down and compared it to the current atlas and look over it and study it.

Points that I have put on a spread sheet has close to 20 different things i write and check off after a day of fishing and a bit extra for writing even more notes.things like when the tide really was fishable, time I hit fish/on what,which rod,bait,depth,what the conditions were sunny/cloudy/rain/ etc plus alot more then ill look back year after year as my journal tells me what ive done and trust me you do see a pattern.

Hope that helps

Good Luck Wolf

p.s. what jaun said I also dont like as I witnessed a guy try that in a bit of chop and over shot it and tried backing up only to get it wrapped around the prop and his boat spun like a top with the transom into the current lucky it was an inboard as it almost went under luck he was smart enough to cut the rope he accually dove in to cut it as he knew he was in deep DOO DOO by then. and he said he barly touched the rope and snap off it came.

So you see when you think your in control your really not, I personally dont ever want to see anyone get hurt out there thats all

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

Wolf, I couldent have said it better myself! Its not that we are trying to jump on you for posting the video! Its that we really dont want to see a fellow fisherman get hurt or killed. The current in that video looks to be moving in and around 2 knotts! Thats way to fast. I wont drop pick in anything over 1.3 unless i know its slowing down considerably! and soon. Even then i just troll around the area im going to drop in until its slower. If you are unsure of the current speed and dont have a GPS use your rigger lines as an idication of current speed. Aim into the current and see what RMP you have to run the kicker at to sit still and then see the angle maybe at 80-100 ft. It will give you somthing to go by atleast. If you want more info you could PM me and i could talk to you over the phone! To much stuff to type out. Good Luck with this. Be safe. And dont take harse comments to seriously. Even tho Poppa may have over reacted a little bit with his comment!

-Steve

quote:I can't @#*% win, .... I'm trying to be nice... but really..... ??? I can't do right on here.... l've brought up 2 things over the past year about anchoring and both times I get shot down.... thanks for the concern but I think I get the picture..... I'll never be as good of a fisherman as most of the guys on here but at least I give my support to people. No wonder so many people lurk on here..... Open your mouth and you get crapped on..... @#*%!!! Thats my 2 cents worth... and I'm sure I'll hear about this too!!!!

LOL! No one said you were a bad fisherman. You caught 2 halibut that day!:D
Just crazy to drop an anchor in that current. [:p]

Dropped you a PM.

Tips

I made that mistake once. I didn't take the time to learn what the current was doing. We started to drop the anchor and it hooked up hard on solid rock. Luckily we had the forsight to let it all go overboard. The scotsman went under right away and we had to wait about two hours to get it back. Lesson learned.

The advice and experience that some of the guys on here (Wolf) is invaluable. Don't be cocky. Learn from guys who earn their living on the water and take their example by giving ample respect to the sea. She is not forgiving.

Highliner

www.salmonboats.ca

Poppa...the spreader bar keeps the main and leader from wrapping around the downrigger cable in slower current. I use a stainless finned weight to keep the spreader from turning at all...always points downstream. The old red/green scotty clip can also be rammed in tight for a better hook set with the bigger hali hooks. I don't fish off the riggers very often, but use the spreader when I do.

quote:the spreader bar keeps the main and leader from wrapping around the downrigger cable in slower current.

Ahh like a rutter, I get it now. never an issue for me since I only use the riggers if the current is really blasting - but makes sense now, thanks profisher.

And searanger, I apologize for riding you - I never said you weren't a good fisherman you got some nice hali there. Hell PM me and I may even have a 400' section of crab line I'll sell you really cheap to get you started on the right foot.

http://www.fishingvancouverisland.org - Win an 8-Hour WCVI Charter!

quote:I may even have a 400' section of crab line I'll sell you really cheap to get you started on the right foot.
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind..... Steve.

I am not sure you got the answers to your questions, did you?
I can probably start with, I think I have done just as many, if not more "dumb" things than anyone else here! :D
quote:Originally posted by Sea Ranger

Thanks Tips Up, I think a new rope is in order this year. I would like to buy the more expensive rope but some say that the cheaper poly rope will do. I think 3/8 is big enough, correct me if I'm wrong as I don't want to buy something that's too small.
Sometimes "too small" is good! That means hopefully, the line will break!
quote: Anchoring in that kind of tide sure can be dangerous and I don't think I'll be doing that again anytime soon but on a good note the experience was priceless.
I think that is a good decision! It can be very dangerous! Every time I do something dumb… I do file it away telling myself I won't be doing that again! That my friend was a very strong current I saw on your video.

quote:Tell me...... at what point is the current so strong you don't want to put your anchor down. Judging by the video, how fast would you say the current was going? And is a 17 foot boat in just as much danger when anchoring as a 21 foot boat or bigger.
Judging by the video? I would not have anchored, but that is an experience level issue? To answer your other question… the larger the boat, and the more freeboard, usually the safer! That current very well "could" have pulled your bow under? Once that happens… "the fat lady just sung"!

quote:When we dropped the anchor that time we made sure to drop the anchor in line with the drift and to hold ourselves steady as we slid back into position.... seemed safe at the time and our quick release is rigged where you don't need a knife to cut in an emergency..... one quick tug of the rope and all is free.
Things happen "real" quickly out there! IF, your bow would have went under, you would not of had time to respond, in my opinion!

quote: I think we had more problems trying to pull a stuck anchor up earlier in the year. We did manage to get all our gear back that time too. Safety does come first and I will heed everyone's advice and not try and anchor in such a fast current. Thank-you Wolf and others for the advice (it's nice to know people do care) .... Steve.
When you have a "stuck" anchor in a strong current… can I give you one piece of advice, CUT IT OFF, IMEDIATELY! Do whatever is necessary to protect your boat… If you protect the boat, the boat will protect you!

DSC01311-1-2.jpg

Thanks for the reply Charlie,
quote:Sometimes "too small" is good! That means hopefully, the line will break!
Good thinking..... I'll buy 3/8 instead of 1/2 inch.
quote:Things happen "real" quickly out there! IF, your bow would have went under, you would not of had time to respond, in my opinion!
If my bow had gone under I probably would have crapped myself. Yes, I do have a very fast method quick release however nothing is fail proof.

Safety first!!!

Something that has kept me alive for "a long time", remember, "regardless of what is happening, do what is necessary, to protect your boat!" I love "The Mistress", but she is very unforgiving and "she" will take you, your boat, and everyone onboard in a heartbeat!

Yes Charlie, I saw her fury once when I was younger. The boat I was working on ran aground on a reef but was swept off it again with the next wave all in the black of night. Lost a herring skiff that night, also lost a finger that night too but at least no lives were lost. The ocean can be forever pretty but can also be very deadly..... agreed.... Steve.

Thought I refresh this Anchoring thread from last year as a reminder not to anchor to close to other boats ! It happened again to us today, these guys anchored way way to close to us and ended up drifting over our anchor. Nothing happened, they simply brought up their gear and pulled their anchor and reset farther away. Just a friendly reminder NOT to anchor to close to other boats ! Thanks.

FishingApril2010071.jpg

FishingApril2010077.jpg

At least they weren't smart enough to anchor behind you in your scent trail. They just added more scent for your gear. ;)

Back