60lb/15lb Halibut Limit - Let's Discuss

Last year we had the one over one under to extend our season,it didnt.Reason according to dfo there were more bigger fish .Now we reccomend a 15/60 to extend this season.How are we all gonna feel when it closes in early september again.Dfo will come up with an excuse . To reccomend this would be crazy because as soon as you give something too them they will never give it back.

Back to last year...
We should have stayed at 1/2 and taken DFO to task... close it when we reach our TAC.

As I said last year.. if you take this **** it is only going to get worse....and it has.

a lot of greed and a bit of plain stupidity in this thread. how much hali meat does one person need? 75-100 pounds of white isnt enough? as for you guys saying a lot more fish are going to die, get a grip. theyre halibut not salmon. incredibly tough fish especially the large ones.

Not everybody is out there every day slaying halis. This type of regulation (size limit) hurts the anglers that target halis only a few times per year. There is no guarantee that you are going to even catch halis every time you fish. So the one time you do hook into one and it's a beauty 65lb you have to toss it back.

Sounds like a great way to manage the resource and encourage more people to take part in the sports fishing industry.

Nobody has answered my question yet ?
this is a proposal, granted a dumb one
however it's not cast in stone yet right ?

This (and the other) thread remind me of the old truism - the less there is to fight over, the more the fighting. I think it's useful to point out that the main sources of the problem are a lowered TAC, a relatively low allocation of the TAC to sporties and an increasing number of people competing for the same fish.

Many of the posts above seem to indicate that the problem is accepting regulations people don't like. For example the post above "if you take this **** it is only going to get worse". It appears to me that as long as we have more and more people trying to catch the same fish and as long as those people are getting more efficient at it (aided by better tackle, better fish finders, better navigational aids, better information from mobile phones and the internet), then the problem will get worse. E.g. it's not "taking it" that creates the problem. The problem is a limited resource and SFAB is just trying to get anglers their fair share in a way that meets many competing desires (long seasons, large limits, any size etc).

The size limit for fillet size last year was as I stated, one piece had to be intact with tail, spine and pectoral fin, basically take the other 3 fillets off & leave the last on the carcass and chop off the head. A minor pain with a 15-pound fish, more than a little inconvenient with a 50-inch fish. Also negates the ability to cut at least that one larger fillet in half, as has been allowed for larger fish up until now.

No way. I filleted out halibut all summer with the blessings and guidance of our local fish cop. I don't have the pamphlet in front of me as I am watching the Super Bowl on vacation but it is available online

I don't think that 1/1 with 5 annual is an unreasonable concession, it certainly will have a smaller overall economical effect than the current 60/15 1/2 with 6 annual. An impact study would help ease me and many other anglers into accepting what we obviously don't see but the SFAB does.
I agree......

There were way better options on the table. Ones that didnt put a cap on the size (which is going to be as hard as hell to get removed next year, you just watch) guys like fishtofino are ok with it as they don't run into big fish all that often...and this will hurt the guys who don't get to go out often

I agree with GLG on all points here. I have had the privilege of sitting at the mainboard table. DFO tactics are very difficult to come out looking good on the other side. Yes these meetings are long and tedious, it seems that some here would rather disagree and burn someone at the pre-made stake set up it the parking lot.
I have personally observed the DFO's tactics of make the easy decision and look for a better suggestion from the SFAB rather than think for themselves. A great example of that would be the early time Fraser River in the JDF area. DFO was going to close that completely. SFAB members pointed out that the majority of the fish caught were hatchery and from the US at that. The US wants Canadians to catch these Hatchery fish and its part of the balance of the Salmon treaty between the US and Canada.

There are some very dedicated, intelligent individuals who have spent a huge amount of volunteer time in these tedious meetings often far from home and family in order to protect our past time and livings from the smaller minded bureaucrats that rather shut down the fishery than manage it.

If you think there are wrongheaded decisions being made, GET TO THE MEETINGS. Leave the burning crosses at home with the pitch forks and lighters. Sit down, shut up and learn, there is a process, it kind of works and brushing the bureaucracy backwards does not work. The only other workable solution is to join larger public opinion groups that lobby in your point of view. It was not science, negotiation or any other method other than general discontent and political pressure that got the 88/12 changed.
Man or Woman up and make your opinions known by writing letters and supporting those that are gaining an audience that represent what you think best fits your needs. That or shut up.

Perhaps I'm getting tired and a bit grumpy.
But this has got to be the lowest point I have seen on this forum to date.
I can't believe what I'm reading.....
I expect these kind of posts for a few of you as that's the way you roll. (Jerry)
You have an agenda and it's clear what it is.
The rest of you...... I expect better than that.
SFAB has been tasked by DFO to come up with a decision that's going to be tough to take.
Nice.... Now they (SFAB) look like the bad guys.... Well played DFO....
The real problem is the 15/85 split and the decline of the Canadian Halibut TAC.
The halibut biomass is going down hill, it's not in trouble yet but the future is not bright.
None of the fish in the ocean have a bright future.
Why is that? Well the commercials have been hammering it hard. (Jerry)
The Alaska by-catch, you know the ones they throw over the side dead, is out of control.
Heck the by-catch is bigger then the Canadian TAC.
Another reason the halibut are not growing as fast as they once were.
Why is that? Some say there is not enough food in the ocean.
Where has all the food gone? Could it be the we have taken them?
Some say the ocean is warming up and upsetting the balance and mother nature can't adjust fast enough.
Well why is it warming up? Could it be our race to the bottom to burn every drop of oil on the planet.
In January IPHC wanted a 30% decrease in our halibut TAC.
Were we not happy and grateful to the team that go our TAC back up?
Guess what ... the lead was a SFAB member and now you want to toss him out.
We use to have a 12/88 split and now we have a 15/85 split.
Who the heck should we thank for that? Yup the same guy's you are disrespecting on this thread.
Shame..... What a bunch of sheep (from the book animal farm)
GLG
SFAC/SFAB
Area 14
FYI Annual limit of 6 fish, 2 at 15# and 2 at 60# = 150 Pounds of Halibut.
How much do you need? I already know how much you want and frankly I'm not impressed.
Who is SFAB anyway..... Well it is made up of all the groups we have here in BC
Not just the local anglers like me and you.
Adapt your fishing, make it work and when asked to write letters to DFO and you MP do it.
Some of us are getting tired of the lack of support we getting from some of you.

I agree with GLG on all points here. I have had the privilege of sitting at the mainboard table. DFO tactics are very difficult to come out looking good on the other side. Yes these meetings are long and tedious, it seems that some here would rather disagree and burn someone at the pre-made stake set up it the parking lot.
I have personally observed the DFO's tactics of make the easy decision and look for a better suggestion from the SFAB rather than think for themselves. A great example of that would be the early time Fraser River in the JDF area. DFO was going to close that completely. SFAB members pointed out that the majority of the fish caught were hatchery and from the US at that. The US wants Canadians to catch these Hatchery fish and its part of the balance of the Salmon treaty between the US and Canada.

There are some very dedicated, intelligent individuals who have spent a huge amount of volunteer time in these tedious meetings often far from home and family in order to protect our past time and livings from the smaller minded bureaucrats that rather shut down the fishery than manage it.

If you think there are wrongheaded decisions being made, GET TO THE MEETINGS. Leave the burning crosses at home with the pitch forks and lighters. Sit down, shut up and learn, there is a process, it kind of works and brushing the bureaucracy backwards does not work. The only other workable solution is to join larger public opinion groups that lobby in your point of view. It was not science, negotiation or any other method other than general discontent and political pressure that got the 88/12 changed.
Man or Woman up and make your opinions known by writing letters and supporting those that are gaining an audience that represent what you think best fits your needs. That or shut up.

Pat your self on the back cause I am not going to do it for ya.....

I'd rather practice home dentistry on my self then sit though another SFAB meeting.

I am ok with a full season Serengeti. How about you?

It's easy to sling dirt from way back east. Maybe go to the SFAB meetings

Fishery Notice 299: http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/x..._notice&lang=en&DOC_ID=141053&ID=recreational

The licence condition for one fish 83cm in length, would equate to a fish
62.25cm head off, as measured above. DFO will accept a 63cm head off
measurement as meeting the requirement of a whole fish being 83cm in length.
Fish of this size may be cut into four fillets, providing one fillet has the
pectoral fin and tail attached.

If fish size is close to the 63cm limit, and the measure will be stretched by
not having the back bone attached, it is suggested that you leave the backbone
attached to the fillet with the pectoral fin and tail attached.

Full season? How can you call it a "full" season? I don't think having restrictions like we do constitutes a "full" season...in length and length alone is it a full season. And don't worry, when I'm back in bc permanently you can be as sure as hell that ill be there doing my damnedest to make sure stupid butt decisions stop being made...

These new ideas will not give us a longer season just like the bright idea last year that didnt give us a full season.Oh yeah and that was just temporary ha ha

What a mess. I dont even know where to start. Lots of emotion in this thread! I like it! The Poor SFAB are taking alot of heat and I am sure there intent is to not for them to completely f over the entire rec fishery like what has happened here. One thing is for certain this SFAB thing is a complete waster of time. I dont doubt these guys have a thankless job, put in tons of hours all of that. But when the net result in back to back years is this, its not working well. Dont ever tell me to go to more meetings. WTF FOR! I would rather stab myself in the balls with an ice pick! I was at our local sfac in area 14 and have been for the last 2 year., They asked for input, we gave it to them, and although i didnt agree with the slot, i sure as hell know not a single person agreed with this. And although our Local and I dont see i to I on a lot of things, i have respect from him and I know he sure didnt put this forward. So who did. I assume no one. well maybe the duncaby guy, but who cares they dont catch any fish. Either our main board is retarded (which i dont thing is the case, there really are alot of good people that work within this group that i really like , some i could careless for, but none are out to put the screws to us) or the DFO slams this down thier throats and lets them burn at the stake. Either way it proves it does not work and we should have zero faith in them to make things happen for us. Its not thier fault, but the nature of the beast.

I will wait for a full confirmation before flying off the handle.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dont ever tell me to go to more meetings. WTF FOR! I would rather stab myself in the balls with an ice pick!

In such a serious discussion, this has got me laughing hard...
Thanks for a funny first post :D:D

Gee-- seems NOBODY is happy. And I just want to go fishing with as little hassle as possible. But realistically-- this is DFOs making, lets not forget that and let them off the hook.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe Robert is needs to push the **** on DFO stickers again. But in the mean time why would someone on the SFAB waste their own time on things that it seems they can not change. Sportsmen need to make change and be heard by someone other then a board of puppets that can't voice our concerns the way we want them heard.

Go Fishing.....

Back