60lb/15lb Halibut Limit - Let's Discuss

THERE will be more fish mortality a fish thrashing on the side of the boat gill hooked etc will die and YES people will get hurt ex: hooks into hands whacking there head on a ball the list can go on but NAH that wont happen menatality doesnt , All the info from quides and others on here and I SEE all the time STUPID people out there anchoring wrong even on this forum commenting on "how they can do it" well it will apply to them as well when it come to letting a fish go these are POWERFULL fish they can inflict damage.PLAIN AND SIMPLE IF YOU THINK NOT WELL ILL SAY IT YOUR AN IDIOT. Commercial realesed fish last I looked was at about + - 15% and they know what there doing.
I know of a few who have been hurt this is a REALLY bad idea.
HERE WILL BE THEN NEW HEADLINE:

WELCOME TO B.C IF YOU WANT TO CATCH A FISH OF A LIFE TIME WELL YOU WONT GET IT HERE GO TO ALASKA......

FUKEN BULLSH$T

Last edited by a moderator:
Jst for the record...Im an area 10 representativeand I did not support any of these decisions...
Im on the other side of the fence and the DFO representatives an I almost never see eye to eye.
The fact is the we have agreed to work within a TAC system that does not work at all but we continue to say O.K. and no worries .
I said from day one we should of never agreed to work within a program that does not offer us at least a 2/3 with no size limits and a season open the exact same as he commercial sector....absolutly nothing less.
Once you set boundaries and limits and agree to certain rules/changes...you never get it back.
We are approaching dangerous ground here and I'm certain now that he only way to gain access to the way it was is politically.

Hi GDW,

I will be willing to bet thier will be ALOT more guides and lodges buying into this experimental license ********. Some groups on the north island, especially winter harbur area, as well in haida gwaii where thier entire marketing is geared on the chance to catch a bruiser halibut and where most halibut caught are over 60bs.
Jerry, you are full of it. No guides are going to buy quota.

Also, the Charlotte lodges don't want to fly that meat from big halibut out.

Yep.... Most lodges don't want to kill the biggies they have weight restrictions for flying all the meat out.

I like the 6/year rule... More than enough.

Hi Fish Assassin,

You are correct, i do not know what im talking about. I stated previously i had never been up there. I was simply going by what Searun had said on the other thread that folks up that way catch all the big fish and the data supports that.

Yeah you like to shoot your mouth off without any ammo.

Maybe send in Steve Wilkes to help you

Jerry, you are full of it. No guides are going to buy quota.

I only wish that were true.... The split in our sector begins now.....................

Surprised it hasn't been mentioned yet but I'm assuming most folks realize that the size limit on all fish harvested this year means no more filleting halibut as the size of every fish will have to be proven to the powers that be when transporting. So, as much as it was a pain in the butt for the few of us transporting two possession fish last year to keep your slot fish whole or at minimum one fillet with spine, tail and pectoral fin attached, just think about how fun it's gonna be to deal with every fish like that?!! What size cooler you gonna need for a few buddies to bring home 3 fish in the 30-50 lb range in the round? According the size charts a 60lb fish is 50-inches, so even head off if you have to leave one piece attached to the spine and tail your talking about close to a 4-ft piece of animal you have to transport home. This will now apply to locals, guides, single day trippers, multi-day trippers, basically all of us as each and every fish will have to show it can conform to the 50" size reg.

Walmart and Crappy Tire will be happy as they'll be selling some bigger coolers!!

Ukee

Yep.... Most lodges don't want to kill the biggies they have weight restrictions for flying all the meat out.

I like the 6/year rule... More than enough.

I don't have a problem with an annual limit. What you say about the lodges makes sense, but I bet they don't advertise it that way. I think now it's in the regs it might impact their business.

I think the people stating 6/year is fine need to rethink their strategy... what happens when it goes to 5... then 4... then a weight restriction of 30lbs.

Give your head a shake. This is BS and anybody who support this proposal is not thinking clearly. There are two unwarranted stipulations (60/15 and 6/year) on the table - a great negotiating skill to ensure one is passed. My guess is the 60/15 will go away but we will be left with 6/year. Then it will change next year. Quite living in the "lets get an opening on March 1st" world and look at the long term ability to maintain our right to harvest this species as a Canadian Resident.

Some people have needs beyond 6/year as they are the only individual in a LARGE family that goes fishing due to logistics/financial constraints.

Actually, if you check the regs there was a size limit for filler sizes last year and I'm sure it will be in effect this year.

Yep next year halibut will be reduced to 5 then 4....just like Chinook they went to 20 per person and then they chipped away at it reducing it every year...oh hang on its still 20 per year. Well I mean they made it 10 lings a year and then they chopped it down to...oh hang on....well you just know they will do it. 6 is enough, if it happens live with it

The size limit for fillet size last year was as I stated, one piece had to be intact with tail, spine and pectoral fin, basically take the other 3 fillets off & leave the last on the carcass and chop off the head. A minor pain with a 15-pound fish, more than a little inconvenient with a 50-inch fish. Also negates the ability to cut at least that one larger fillet in half, as has been allowed for larger fish up until now.

Just found a link to Oregon's process for setting their halibut regs on Ifish.net. In Oregon they hold an open public meeting and set up an online survey to get input from all anglers unable to attend in person:

http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/oregonian/bill_monroe/index.ssf/2013/02/halibut.html

Would be nice to see this process adopted here. Although I share the fear of many on here, that what we've given up already will be entrenched. We've already seen an entrenchment of the slot, even though it didn't work, and now we get a max size and annual limit on top of that - what are the odds those will only be in place this season? While I 100% agree that the fundamental problem is the catch share and ITQ issues that limit the Rec TAC, those issues shouldn't overshadow the fact that DFO, endorsed by the SFAB, SFI, et al, continues to use a faulty model that continues to assume 50% of harvested fish will be be subject to the slot fish max size of 15lbs. This wasn't true last year, it won't be true this year and it won't be true in any year in the future as it doesn't reflect the reality of the fishery. As such, despite all this year's restrictions which seem to have displeased everyone, the TAC will be eaten up quicker than the faulty model has predicted and we won't be getting a full season. How pissed will we all be when that insult is added to the injury of the slot, max size and 6 fish annual quota?!!

Ukee

Jerry's not Lollypop? That was my guess...

Anyody think Jerry and Lorne Parker1are brothers :)

I was wondering what happened to Lorne??... Did he morph into another profile name or was he banished for a lack of better reasoning:confused:

Back