60lb/15lb Halibut Limit - Let's Discuss

Dont ever tell me to go to more meetings. WTF FOR! I would rather stab myself in the balls with an ice pick!

In such a serious discussion, this has got me laughing hard...
Thanks for a funny first post :D:D

That is some funny **** right there! I think they call that a vasectomy

a lot of greed and a bit of plain stupidity in this thread. how much hali meat does one person need? 75-100 pounds of white isnt enough? as for you guys saying a lot more fish are going to die, get a grip. theyre halibut not salmon. incredibly tough fish especially the large ones.

halibut are a tough fish. i usually keep no more then 5 a year, so the limit is ok. Releasing a halibut is not the same as a salmon, nor the fishing. I generally bottom bounce with barbed treble hooks, As i intend to keep what i catch. the fish INHALE the bait, so i use wire leaders, and cut the hooks out at the marina to be reused. with the proposed size limit, i will have to change my tactics drastically - Im going to either A) use "gentler" gear, resulting in less landings. B) injure a lot more fish.

2 barbed trebles slammed inside a halibut stomach... Don't see a high survival rate in that. trolling salmon is a lot different then bottom bouncing halibut.

Gee-- seems NOBODY is happy. And I just want to go fishing with as little hassle as possible. But realistically-- this is DFOs making, lets not forget that and let them off the hook.

Don't get me wrong, dfo is to blame as well. But the fact sfab sat on their hands and accepted this can not be ignored. They just allowed for the division of the sport sector and for the "success" of the experimental license...this will easily be looked at as one of the worst decisions that has ever been made for sport fishing in BC.

Last edited by a moderator:
The size limit and reduced annual limit are just another way to get peeps to rent commercial quoata. It suck but it is wht it is.

From what I have heard it was a sell out by the north and basically said to the south go f yourselves...
Im for a separate zone fishery since they like to segragate area 19/20 i think we should have our own seasons separate from the rest of the coast,

1/2 any size as they DFO has told us area 19/20 is a fart in a wind storm to what is taken for TAC for march to end of may. Its july and Aug when it gets hammered by the rest of the BC coast.
I dont think anyone from our area would mind this one bit.

The mind set is not at all rationa lyou have some people who dont even fish halibut making decisions for us thanks alot....

Wolf

SFAB, was this not a recommendation from the Board ? If it was why was there not more input asked for from the angling community ? As I see it, this new plan to stay with in our quota kinda came on us without proper consulations. Why are we not asking for more TAC ? Value is a big part of how fish are to be managed, SFAB its time to have a open meeting to discuss this issue and to come up with a plan to acquire more of our share of the TAC.. If not this will put Guides & Lodges into a corner to acquire more TAC on their own ( Meaning the guy beside you will bring in what ever he wants just because he has the money to lease quota ) This is far from a solution that I can live with in the since that we are giving up a hell of a lot and the commercial sector is still able to keep fishing although most guys that FISH HALIBUT need to lease quota from a guy that sits on his butt. They can barely survive the guys that have to lease, this is a failed system. SFAB you do not have my vote on this recommendation to DFO. I am hoping you have not put this forward yet.

From what I have heard it was a sell out by the north and basically said to the south go f yourselves...
Im for a separate zone fishery since they like to segragate area 19/20 i think we should have our own seasons separate from the rest of the coast,

1/2 any size as they DFO has told us area 19/20 is a fart in a wind storm to what is taken for TAC for march to end of may. Its july and Aug when it gets hammered by the rest of the BC coast.
I dont think anyone from our area would mind this one bit.

Wolf

From what I have heard it was a sell out by the charters/lodges and basically said to the rec guys go f yourselves...
Im for a separate TAC fishery since they like to segragate the guides and rec anglers i think we should have our own seasons separate from the rest of the lodges/charters.

1/2 any size as they DFO has told us rec guys on their own is a fart in a wind storm vs the lodge and guide boat take. Its july and Aug when it gets hammered by the lodges and guides that uses it all.
I dont think anyone from the rec sector (besides for profit guides and lodges who know their screwed if they couldnt hide amongst average joe angler) would mind this one bit.

LOL doesn't sound much different then your argument Wolf. How about this, daily limits PER BOAT of 2-3 fish. Have 5 guys on a charter and they can share the white meat or go multiple days so everyone gets their fish some charter guys are getting a limit for 4 people twice per day.

Not really serious about any of this couldn't resist Wolfs opening to stir the pot!

Wolf you are right. I'm not sure about the south but I know the central coast sfac headed by Sid Keay of Duncanby pushed hard for max size. Guess its not hard to do when you only catch a handful over 60lbs a year anyway. Apparently Rupert too. I am still in utter shock sfab sfi or any other board would accept this. Especially those in the charter or lodge industry. You will see leased quota fromsome I'm sure and I won't be mad at them as dfo and sfab put them in that situation, they have families to feed, and you will see way more Americans go farther north to Alaska. It's a shame really

Here we go, splitting the recreational sector into 2 camps. Just what the commercial guys wanted. Divide and conquer.

Is it even worth it for a lodge to buy quota? What's the cost of that? I thought it was around $5 per pound.

Client catches a 100 pound halibut now the lodge has to pay an extra $500 PLUS ship it out? Id feel silly as a lodge operator telling clients "well the $4,500 you've spent so far for this all inclusive fishing vacation actually doesn't include the fish you just caught - that costs extra."

I guess what's another $500 when you spent 5 grand but it looks completely Mickey mouse. Maybe the big lodges will negotiate a big quota buy in bulk. We are screwed. The commercial industry is KILLING us guys their laughing all the way to the bank right now.

We need to get out from under the TAC allocation put all the TAC in one pool and have rec/charter/commercial all draw off it with a guaranteed rec season commercials can catch the rest. Crack down HARD on any rec anglers selling fish. I'd like to hear about some boats lost etc. instead of the usual slap on the wrist from the one arrest per year from DFO.

It is us and us only who can change this $hit. We did a few years back when we all banded together and got more TAC. This is still ultimately the problem, not enough TAC for the rec sector. We need to all stick together and go after more instead of bitching about not having enough. It worked once, why not again?

Holmes..the problem with those kind of protests is that it plays more into the hand of the govt. They say they need to protect fish and we are pegged by the media as greedy red neck fishers who want to keep killing fish. It goes like that every time there is a protest. The commercial guys do get some public support when they protest because it is seen as them needing to pay the bills and feed the family. We don't have that as our reason to protest. I think the new coalition stands a better chance at getting results for our sector and for fish.

I'm not sure though, look at Idle No More as a prime example, they get what they want in that exact same manner. While I realize they are native, public support for idle no more is low yet they are still getting what they want in many cases, so holmes may not have that bad of an idea.

YEPPERS, the usual tactic, it works, so why not eh?....how about taking action to shut down the commercial guys, or disrupt them atleast, how about taking action to disrupt govt.....too crazy?....i think what is proposed is a lot more insane...and also ILLEGAL......holmes*

Yes crazy, there is nothing to really gain and lots to loose from most of your suggestions.

And I'm with holmes I'd like to see some real action.

Imagine a long line of boats anchored across Vic harbour blocking the ferry and cruise ships maybe even the float planes if we can. Put your lines in the water get holmes out there on a boat close to the break wall with a bullhorn.

Since we are all anchored we could call the protest "Idle No More" - that one isn't taken is it?

And I'm with holmes I'd like to see some real action.

Imagine a long line of boats anchored across Vic harbour blocking the ferry and cruise ships maybe even the float planes if we can. Put your lines in the water get holmes out there on a boat close to the break wall with a bullhorn.

Since we are all anchored we could call the protest "Idle No More" - that one isn't taken is it?

Great idea. **** off the public, disrupt the lives of hard working people who have nothing to do with this issue.

I like Homles idea of a huge off season fish protest more then mine your right Kelly I HATE hearing about native groups disrupting joe public for their cause. A huge off season fish where most boats are visible from the harbour is a better idea. Are their good tides coming up this month? Get it organized and I will come out and fish with the other outlaws.

Trusting the process clearly doesn't work we fight tooth and nail for a tiny allocation shift and it still results in more and more regulations and shorter seasons.

What's the status of the Malcolm case?

Back