60lb/15lb Halibut Limit - Let's Discuss

Desperate times call for desperate measures Kelly...

Desperate times don't call for desperate measures that will achieve nothing. Blocking a harbour? That's really fair. You want more fish so you should be able to stop people that have nothing to do with it from attending meetings, going on vacation, seeing their family etc etc. Alot more thought needs to be taken than Holmes ranting off ideas about how to rebel.

How about we all save some of our halibut catch and hold a big open house free halibut meal in front of the parliament buildings. Then have reps there to educate the media and public...hmmm. Would this go over better and achieve the results too?

Let's hold that free public lunch after our illegal fish. That way they can enjoy FRESH sport caught halibut and know what they are giving up.

Hi Kelly,

Please fire away with your thoughts.

The protest fishery is actually not that bad of an idea. It would bring media attention and not disrupt the public. Someone with some media skills would have to ensure that the situation was well explained however so that it didn't spin to make sporties look greedy.

The fact the commies will be right beside us slaying the bigger fish is the thing that pisses me off the most...and they target the larger fish, so all this does is free up more fish for them to catch...

God I feel like Lorne with these counter arguements... In short it's a pretty complex multi sided issue that I certainly don't have the answers to. In today's world resource cutbacks, rules etc are increasing and it will continue to. It's a hard pill to swallow and fighting back for an effecient system will make a difference. This fight needs to be well planned and take into account the view from all sides not just sporties. I guess that was my main point about the harbour blockade etc. Without much more to really add ill tag out of this one!

Last edited by a moderator:
halibut are a tough fish. i usually keep no more then 5 a year, so the limit is ok. Releasing a halibut is not the same as a salmon, nor the fishing. I generally bottom bounce with barbed treble hooks, As i intend to keep what i catch. the fish INHALE the bait, so i use wire leaders, and cut the hooks out at the marina to be reused. with the proposed size limit, i will have to change my tactics drastically - Im going to either A) use "gentler" gear, resulting in less landings. B) injure a lot more fish.

2 barbed trebles slammed inside a halibut stomach... Don't see a high survival rate in that. trolling salmon is a lot different then bottom bouncing halibut.

yes you will have to change tactics. circle hooks circle hooks circle hooks circle hooks!!!!! corner of the mouth or in the lip every time. makes for much easier and safer releasing, easier on th fish if you have to cut the leader. just gotta hone up those hook setting skills as theres a bit more to sticking a circle hook than there is with two trebles.

I guess I should have said that some of the comments within this thread are a bit ridiculous.
Do you know when we will see a press release? I have not seen anything yet.

Paul

Not for awhile this is a recommendation not a regulation it might not even happen. It's just the recommendation is coming from people who we thought were on our own team.

Now we wonder whose interest they serve? I'm ok with this rule as long as nobody can buy quota to keep bigger fish that joe angler without thousands in the bank can't keep.

WOW 6 pages this morning alone. Holmes slow down I can't keep up...:)

Keep it up and you will be over 7000 posts by noon. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Average Canadian doesn't even know about it.

Stop ferry traffic and you'll make the national news thats for sure... Gain the spotlight but can you contol the message? If so its a great idea.

Kelly and I are very good friends, but I'd be more prone to civil disobediance I'd guess... lol

I look at this as DFO's failure not SFAB or any of the other associations that are trying to do the best they can with the ******** directive they have been handed by the Feds.

Ghengis Khan couldn't have done what he did if the tribes remained seperate, but united... So that's where I'm at.

It's just the recommendation is coming from people who we thought were on our own team.

Now we wonder whose interest they serve? .

GDW I am using this portion of your post as an example of the far too many that are like it,

How about you guys that keep bashing the SFAB folks take a deep breath. It is disgusting to see how so many grown adult human beings are acting like a lynch mob over something most of you do not fully understand.

Agree or disagree thats fine and expected as part of the process. Even share how this affects you if you think it will help.

Let me suggest that everyone take a step back, ask yourselves if what I am about to post has any value toward improving the situation. If not then don't post it. If your not sure ask yourself if I am speaking on emotion alone or am I speaking based on educated fact. If you still do not know then find out how you can get better educated so you can be productive to positive long term change instead slinging mud and getting sucked in by commie trolls and basic **** disturber's.

This forum is filled with very smart people whom have much more knowledge and experience than I. At this time and as we keep moving forward we need to use that knowlage and experience to help preserve this great past time we are all obviously very passionate about.

GDW I am using this portion of your post as an example of the far too many that are like it,

How about you guys that keep bashing the SFAB folks take a deep breath. It is disgusting to see how so many grown adult human beings are acting like a lynch mob over something most of you do not fully understand.

Agree or disagree thats fine and expected as part of the process. Even share how this affects you if you think it will help.

Let me suggest that everyone take a step back, ask yourselves if what I am about to post has any value toward improving the situation. If not then don't post it. If your not sure ask yourself if I am speaking on emotion alone or am I speaking based on educated fact. If you still do not know then find out how you can get better educated so you can be productive to positive long term change instead slinging mud and getting sucked in by commie trolls and basic **** disturber's.

This forum is filled with very smart people whom have much more knowledge and experience than I. At this time and as we keep moving forward we need to use that knowlage and experience to help preserve this great past time we are all obviously very passionate about.

Great post Ray.

Has anyone been in contact with the SFAB? I am just wondering if this was the only option on the table.
I like the idea of limiting size. I don't like the idea of buying Quota. I think we need to educate people on the
pros and cons of keeping large halibut. I like to catch big fish, we can release them without too much harm. (my opinion)
This size limitation is not about protecting big fish though, it is just a suggested way to keep us within our 15 percent.
Getting a bigger share within the TAC will be tough but worth the fight. Till then we will have to protect what we have left.

Back