60lb/15lb Halibut Limit - Let's Discuss

With the average spawning size of salmon being in the teens, that's almost a moot point. And the number of large (over 100 lb) hali taken on the coast is really a drop in the bucket.. Take a look at any dock, you will generally see loads of teenage salmon and loads of 15-25 pound hali, and the odd big one.

A few observations and personal thoughts after watching this thread.

First, I agree LC and if that is the case, this over under slot won't really impact most anglers regular catch? On the whole not many rec fish are over 60 pounds, but those that are really start to fill up the bucket (use TAC) fast. No one likes the prospects of letting go a trophy fish, but in most cases with halibut its the right thing to do, and besides who wants to eat are really big one anyway...you might start to glow.:cool::cool:

The purpose of this regulation choice, was as I understand it, to slow down exploitation rate so we could spread out the TAC as fairly as possible. It was also I think to help give guys on multi day trips an opportunity for more than 1 fish. Those would be the good folks from all over BC and other parts of Canada who would like an opportunity to take their 2 halibut home. The other consideration I believe was to avoid some options that had high risk of ending the season early. When you sit down and assess each option for it's ability to deliver on the core values the SFAC's put forward to guide the SFAB decision, it starts to become a little clearer which options present least risk of impeding those core values (I won't repeat as they have been posted too many times already).

I've also heard here that the large lodges and guides stand to benefit from this over under choice. I just don't get the logic of that argument either...it would seem to me that they are making a sacrifice as they won't be able to market those really large hogs. Yet they were prepared to make that sacrifice in the interest of ensuring there was opportunity for anglers to catch fish over the length of the regular fishing season, because I think in part, they recognized the importance of maintaining opportunity. Without opportunity and an expectation of catching fish, there really is nothing for anyone.

No matter the choice, there has to be sacrifices made to make this TAC work and get a full season. So in my view, the choice made was one of the better ones....but not the only one that could have worked for certain. I still stick by my own personal choice which was 6 fish/year of which 3 can be over 83cm (no upper limit)...but that just wasn't an option to choose from, so water under the bridge. Regardless of how anyone of us personally thinks we have a recommendation only...DFO still has to decide, and we will find a way to work with that decision.

Lots of feeling this was a closed door secret process. I'm not sure how that can be stated in fairness. This was an open process, lots of opportunity for input from various SFAC's, individuals and organized groups. The Halibut Options Paper was widely circulated, debated, even at one point surveyed on this very forum. The SFAB Main Board meeting isn't closed door - no one was banned from being there (I took time to confirm before posting this). Even guests & observers who were in the room were afforded opportunity to express their input. I don't know how more open it could be. I've heard guys in Vancouver stating they are blocked from participating, but the sad thing is there are SFAC's on the Lower Mainland and these meeting appear to be very poorly attended (not to mention the SFAB Main Board Meeting was in Richmond).

If we actually think that a web forum, where no one is accountable for what they post, is where these sorts of fisheries management decisions can be made then we are kidding ourselves. This forum is a good place to exchange views and ideas - some of which eventually do make their way into the SFAC/SFAB discussions...but that's as far as it goes. Maybe we can sit down around the SFAC tables and work through these issues to find positive solutions in the future rather than rant at each other through computer screens.

If you entertain a debate without the willingness to change your opinion or stance ; does it not become grandstanding? Do not become so obtuse, or jade'd to envelop a what good someone has to say. Winston Churchill said "It takes courage to stand up and voice your opinion, but it also takes courage to sit down and listen"

Something I found on another board.... Wise words

It really pisses a guy off to here people try and rationalize what is being considered a "win" by so few.

Admit what it is - a complete fugging failure.

I didnt say don't release them. Just should have the choice. And 200 Hali over 100 in 70 days ...prob not fishing hali everyday...seems realistic...

Gosh Searun you basically want to limit south VI guys to 3 per year hey? There are few fish under 83cm down here. I'd have to hook a lot of overs to get 3 unders I hope that idea never goes forward that's not enough fish for my family for the year. I guess ill have to get grandma a license and take her to catch her own fish in a few years.

your math is correct kelly, I would say we spent about 25% of our time halibut fishing. So a little over 200 days per year for 6 guides, so about 33 fish over 100 per guide and usually about 5-7 of those fish would go 200+. I am sure there were recaptures as I have brought in fish with our hooks in their mouth. Realistically the big sports fishing players in consumption of tac are large scale lodges in remote areas close to areas that hold an abundance of large halies. Proably not so much the average guy who goes out to nootka orbamfield or whereever for his one 5 day trip in the summer.

It does I know......there are two places on this BC coast were large female halibut congregate and feed in the summer months one spot is rennel sound to fredrick island on the west side of the gwaii. The second is from cape scott down to brooks peninsula. Just ask the guys a qualicum rivers about the second location....

Keep on defending it it will be my intention to ensure anglers break away from support of these processes...we need lobbying in Ottawa that's where focus needs to be. Not recommendations made by a few individuals that cave in...I never ever voted for this.
And what process do you propose to use to determine what lobbying positions are taken?

The answer to your 2 points will vary as to where you actually fish halibut on the B.C. coast.
There is no one answer, all this infighting will do more harm to our SPORT than any kind of size restriction.

I get the whole Concept behind the Proposal, Do I agree based on the 85/15 Split? No Way!

As far as the comments regarding the Big Female Breeders! Sure its good conservation minded approach to release them, however to say the majority of the LL Fleet does so is a stretch. On a skate for 2 days or more, the majority are DOA from Exhaustion. Yes thats a fact!

The Big one we got last Spring was on a 16/0 Circle (all I use) and it was unfortunatly hooked deep in the esophagus and was bleeding pretty good from a line wrap at some point outta the gills. The thought of release was there as we were overcome with emotions of Guilt for keeping it! Did we? Yes, did we eat every bit of it? Yes. No Worms, and as good as any Chicken.

So now this year as the Commy fleet sets around us all Spring again, we get to sit with a goofey slot! There has to be a better option as the Honest will be Honest and the others, well lets just say theres lots of room for creative ideas with the lack of enforcement out there.

When will it be released who voted what way? I'm asking not for witch hunting purposes. The people the members represent do deserve to know.

Back