300k boat for 200k

I have been using the wire remote panther system for 7 years without too many issues had to replace the cable once, and the control relay once, but I will blame that on poor maintenance of the drive rod, it was getting seized up.Cleaning the drive rod twice a year helps to keep everything running smoothly imo, that said my boat stayed half its life inside a shop and always rinsed after salt water use, big difference than leaving it out in the elements.

I have been using the wire remote panther system for 7 years without too many issues had to replace the cable once, and the control relay once, but I will blame that on poor maintenance of the drive rod, it was getting seized up.Cleaning the drive rod twice a year helps to keep everything running smoothly imo, that said my boat stayed half its life inside a shop and always rinsed after salt water use, big difference than leaving it out in the elements.
Tell me how many times you have fished the west coast or straight salt water with one of those things?

I had the worst experience with one of those god awful systems. That's what the commander came with. First thing I did was install the rear helm.
Did it start steering itself? 🤣
I dropped my panther remote overboard and it started steering it self doing circles in the harbour… man was that embarrassing

Did it start steering itself? 🤣
I dropped my panther remote overboard and it started steering it self doing circles in the harbour… man was that embarrassing
My remote failed constantly. So did the replacement one I bought. And the real kicker was having it fail completely while I was fishing inside of active pass and it steered me right at a ferry. That was fun

Last edited:
That was an pneumatic cylinder basically. It worked for light PSI hydraulic applications but I actually was not a hydraulic cylinder. Wasn't a bad setup for the place in time it took place either.
Mine was 15 years ago and used a seastar cylinder. Worked fine, the toggle on the remote had a cover that would rip and need replacing.

I have a deal in place pending a sea trial and a mechanical inspection. I could drive away with it now but I’d rather get everything checked out. A bunch of work has been done on this boat recently, a new long block, risers and manifolds, some work to the running gear, I’d like someone to check it all out in depth. I have that booked for May 02 in Port Moody.

I like the boat, first time I’m going to own a I/O, is there a club I could join for stern drive owners? Must be expensive to get in…

Membership is free. Weekly donations to Volvo are expensive and the initiation is not soo painful but very frustrating! Lol

In all honesty inboards are not that bad. I have had a few and found them reliable, easy to maintain. In ten years never blew a leg, bellow, engine. Keep the bilge clean and dry

@Raincity is president I think even though he is trying to step down and run for pod president

Back