23 Hourston podding

Can you elaborate on what made it difficult to steer at speed? Did the steering get super stiff or was the the hull dancing about? Mine tops out at about 38 knots currently and you do have to make sure it's trimmed correctly with small adjustments. It's definitely not a super high speed hull design and ya, so much junk in the waters!

Can you elaborate on what made it difficult to steer at speed? Did the steering get super stiff or was the the hull dancing about? Mine tops out at about 38 knots currently and you do have to make sure it's trimmed correctly with small adjustments. It's definitely not a super high speed hull design and ya, so much junk in the waters!
Yes it got really stiff. I’ve never had an outboard motor as a main nor a tilt option all my past boats have been vp 270 or 280’s so motor tilt is new to me. Just something I need to get use to I guess. Also a question for you of course knowing that all boats are different and set ups etc. I’m just curious to what your trim angle is when you reach your top speed

Yes it got really stiff. I’ve never had an outboard motor as a main nor a tilt option all my past boats have been vp 270 or 280’s so motor tilt is new to me. Just something I need to get use to I guess. Also a question for you of course knowing that all boats are different and set ups etc. I’m just curious to what your trim angle is when you reach your top speed

When I get going, I drop the drive all the way down and zero out the tabs then get onto plane. Once I'm out of the hole then I push the bow down with the tabs and trim it back up with the drive equally back to the same position. This gives me additional tension on the hull to a small degree and keeps the keel planted.
I would use the ssame trim settings all the way to 38 knots, it's a natural and safe position for our hulls, so I've found.

As for your steering getting harder at speed, Ive heard similar reports on suzukis as well, perhaps others will chime in? How is your steering set up now?

Last edited:
Steering shouldn’t get any stiffer at speed as a result of a specific motor it’s hydraulic and a separate system. I would have someone on board with you at the stern to check your cav plate height while planing motor could be too low. If your bows down too far tabs up and leg up.

if it were me I would play with prop/trim/engine height before looking into electronic assist.

A cousin got a new boat a few years ago with Yamaha 300 and steering got really stiff at higher speed especially one way. They fooled around a lot with trim and in the end found out there was air in his steering lines. They bled everything again and that fixed it

Last edited:
I’m surprised that you didn’t have trim on your Volvo 270 or 280 outdrives. Could you not raise the drive for trailering?
As ab1752 explained, out of the hole starts with outdrive/outboard trimmed all the way in to keep the bow down then gradual trimming up after planing to find the sweet spot. Your best trim position is the one that provides best speed relative to rpm and optimum fuel efficiency without porpoising or your prop ventilating.
Some platforms will require trim tab adjustments to deal with porpoising. Generally, the faster you go the less trim tabs are needed and the higher you can trim. It’s a feeling out process.

I’m surprised that you didn’t have trim on your Volvo 270 or 280 outdrives. Could you not raise the drive for trailering?
As ab1752 explained, out of the hole starts with outdrive/outboard trimmed all the way in to keep the bow down then gradual trimming up after planing to find the sweet spot. Your best trim position is the one that provides best speed relative to rpm and optimum fuel efficiency without porpoising or your prop ventilating.
Some platforms will require trim tab adjustments to deal with porpoising. Generally, the faster you go the less trim tabs are needed and the higher you can trim. It’s a feeling out process.
The 270 and 280 tilt up for trailering but lock into lower position and stays there. You can drive forward with leg up but not above idling speed

The 270 and 280 tilt up for trailering but lock into lower position and stays there. You can drive forward with leg up but not above idling speed
That's too bad; I had a Bravo 1 drive with a 350 MAG MPI and it was infinitely adjustable. It was an important part of the boat's performance too. As I trimmed into the right spot you could feel the boat start to glide.

Check that your engine mounting height is good.

Steering can feel really tight if the motor is trimmed down too far or the engine is mounted too deep in the water

In my experience, the motor should be trimmed around 30 deg at WOT. Trim the engine until it cavities and then drop it down a little. You should need less tab as you go faster. You will notice the Houston tends to roll over before they turn at any speed but I think your issues are motor trim and tab issues. The speed should go up but if the motor is trimmed correctly the rpm will probably rise too. hard to do this with dirty water for sure.

For motor height, the cavitation plate should be visible during cruise speed, have a look next time.

Sounds like fun I'm jealous!

Back