23 hourston deciding what to do

All wood is toast. Even if it is ok. It is comming out. Just hope the keel wood is solid.
I will measure gunnel height on my 20 vs 23. Interested to see the difference.
A neat product is that honeycomb for creating fish boxes looks nice to use and glass. So many great synthetic coring products out there by the looks of it these days

I hear what your saying I would give up 4 inches or so of freeboard myself for that benefit those are deep boats. But all depends what more important to each person I guess just my 2 cents 😁. Always wondered why so many manufactures miss the mark on that. That’s why Grady’s are so popular self draining pretty much all compartments. Have owned many brands of boats all except Grady and the whaler I currently have had pumps due to in floor boxes etc which to me was a real miss on maintenance free design.
That's what made me pick my campion over a double eagle.. love self bailing decks/fish boxes

Twin 150hp would be perfect. I was just looking at pricing on the new outboards, omg! How can the price of a merc 200 increase by 12k in 2 years.
I had my 200 and 9.9 installed, new prop on main for 21k taxes in in 2020. Now a 200 is $29,000 Maybe I should look into a mast for a sail power
That really is crazy, that is one of the reasons your boat is such a good deal. People are probably looking at 40k with taxes for a 200 and 9.9 installed these days.

Everything else is up as well, I'm looking at a tilt steering helm, to add a suspension seat and I'm like is a new boat cheaper?

There's a few engines starting to show up one the hours is a tad high but then again if you only fish 20 times a year probably last for many years and price is right at 4K plus a couple others but might be a tad soft on power but would be adequate to get you out there. Between now and March they will probably keep popping up. Plus these are asking prices could be some wiggle room to grind out a good deal.

Also Aquoholic brings up a great point lease returns very soon.

Last edited:
The gunnel height on the 23's is very high,should be plenty of room to raise the floor for self bailing and more fuel if you need it and worthwhile IMO.It might be necessary to put a hatch above the door to make the step down without hitting your head.

My 26 is self bailing. I find the scuppers are never near the waterline and never weep water into the boat. These hulls seem to be very buoyant and the 23 must be as well.

The gunnel height on the 23's is very high,should be plenty of room to raise the floor for self bailing and more fuel if you need it and worthwhile IMO.It might be necessary to put a hatch above the door to make the step down without hitting your head.
That’s the only issue I can see is the step down into the cabin you’d have to raise the hardtop or as you say add a roof hatch the island runner models are a little different with a soft top.

Nothings impossible but I think it’s more work than anticipated if you plan to keep the layout/top factory or close to it.

I am going to buy it and park it and see what I want to do with it I guess.
I am not into starting a project like that and quitting and selling, not my style.
My 20 I changed stringers, transom and floors in about 6 weeks
If you do quit and sell, you will banished for life... cut off from all. Its lonely out here

Has anyone ever got a quote on what a shipyard would charge to rebuild a boat like this to engine mounting stage? If a hull is almost free, would it be cost effective compared to a long-term project .
No, buy new or semi new, you will be better off for it

You forgot,
and change your name on the forum
haha, ya I didn't like my name, teased to much as a kid... All you kool guys had nicknames, thought I was worthy but I guess I was wrong.

No, buy new or semi new, you will be better off for it
How do you know this? Did you get shipyard quotes? There was a company on the sunshine coast that was rebuilding stringers and transoms and doing pods not that long ago.

Last edited:
Hahahahha! Come on we know that’s not true. Well unless you buy a trophy. Not there is anything wrong with trophy’s.

Welcome back
Gosh-golly-ge, thank ya fella!

How do you know this? Did you get shipyard quotes? There was a company on the sunshine coast that was rebuilding stringers and transoms and doing pods not that long ago.

Who? That sounds more like the sooke guys. I don't know of anyone up there doing this on any sort of scale. There was a guy in porpoise bay who did a hourston but I think it was a one off project.

Who? That sounds more like the sooke guys. I don't know of anyone up there doing this on any sort of scale. There was a guy in porpoise bay who did a hourston but I think it was a one off project.
Dryland marine on the sunshine coast does a bunch of hourston and DE jobbies. On the island godobbs does a bunch of smaller, somewhat budget friendly hourston/ DE work.

Dryland marine on the sunshine coast does a bunch of hourston and DE jobbies. On the island godobbs does a bunch of smaller, somewhat budget friendly hourston/ DE work.

Right on, that's the guys I was thinking of. Cheers

Back