23 hourston deciding what to do

salmonkiller01

So I was driving around and saw an old 23 hourston in a guys yard. Knocked on the door and chatted with the fellow and I am pretty sure I am buying it
The good- 23 hourston

The bad - needs a complete overhaul everything - floors , stringers, transom and will require some extensive gel coat work

I am not a coward but am wondering if I am nuts though. I told myself never again but in reality for about 5k and a whole ton of labour I can have it ready for power
Figure a 1.5 year project
What’s your thoughts

So I was driving around and saw an old 23 hourston in a guys yard. Knocked on the door and chatted with the fellow and I am pretty sure I am buying it
The good- 23 hourston

The bad - needs a complete overhaul everything - floors , stringers, transom and will require some extensive gel coat work

I am not a coward but am wondering if I am nuts though. I told myself never again but in reality for about 5k and a whole ton of labour I can have it ready for power
What’s your thoughts
I can't even fathom having that kind of time. Good luck, can't wait to watch.

What does it give you that you do not have now? Just more fish fighting room? Bigger main, maybe bigger kicker?

If it’s a hobby doing those types of projects and you will keep the boat for the long haul why not. If you don’t plan on owning for longer than a couple years then selling you will be hard pressed getting your money out as initial redo guesstimates always climb and surpass what one thinks when the project starts. Although those boats fetch a good dollar when redone. It’s a tough one just depends on what your plan is. There’s something to be proud of reviving a classic and making it what you want then enjoying on the water. No matter what boat you buy unless you spend a fortune there will be something that needs some tlc overtime. Once done you should be turnkey for years if you put good power on it. I’m a silver lining guy as well can see a project done before I start.

The good- 23 hourston

What’s your thoughts
Do it, document her transformation on YouTube. 5k for a 23 footer with a trailer seems like you missing a 0? 150k new I always say for a boat that size so even if it comes in between 5 and 50k you can still slap 30k of power on it and have a great boat!

The good- 23 hourston

What’s your thoughts

Ask @Sttr :)

“I told myself never again”
Hahaha that’s awesome
@Fishin
Some words of wisdom right there

But…. This is a Boat build thread and you’re asking us if you should rebuild a boat? I’m not sure what answer you want to hear but I say do it

I am going to buy it and park it and see what I want to do with it I guess.
I am not into starting a project like that and quitting and selling, not my style.
My 20 I changed stringers, transom and floors in about 6 weeks

I am going to buy it and park it and see what I want to do with it I guess.
I am not into starting a project like that and quitting and selling, not my style.
My 20 I changed stringers, transom and floors in about 6 weeks
Then how do you figure you need a year and a half to complete it if you can change that in 6 weeks? Half a year and it should be done

I'm with @Aquaholic in the sense of what will it really give you? Is the 23 that much better than the 20? Will it get you places the 20 won't? Won't it just cost more in fuel to do the same thing?

Then how do you figure you need a year and a half to complete it if you can change that in 6 weeks? Half a year and it should be done
Year and a half as I will still have my 20 and won’t be rushed. I can save a lot of dollars searching for deals on parts and supplies, plus my wife will kill me if I get that many hours in such a short time

Do it, document her transformation on YouTube. 5k for a 23 footer with a trailer seems like you missing a 0? 150k new I always say for a boat that size so even if it comes in between 5 and 50k you can still slap 30k of power on it and have a great boat!
The boat is basically free for me. 5k to get the hull fixed up. No power no electronics. I would mould in a fibreglass bracket.

Has anyone ever got a quote on what a shipyard would charge to rebuild a boat like this to engine mounting stage? If a hull is almost free, would it be cost effective compared to a long-term project .

Back