23 hourston deciding what to do

Has anyone ever got a quote on what a shipyard would charge to rebuild a boat like this to engine mounting stage? If a hull is almost free, would it be cost effective compared to a long-term project .
I would estimate shipyards in major cities charge close to $150 an hour plus storage and a reasonable markup in parts, materials and paper towels. You would get pretty close to new pretty fast. Members have done work at Jenkins Marine in Sooke which may be slightly more affordable.

I would estimate shipyards in major cities charge close to $150 an hour plus storage and a reasonable markup in parts, materials and paper towels. You would get pretty close to new pretty fast. Members have done work at Jenkins Marine in Sooke which may be slightly more affordable.
Any idea of a rough number though? Don’t they get a better price break on materials than a consumer?

The 23 is massive compared to the 20. Way more beam
It depends what you want to do whether the 23 offers more than the 20. I trailer, fish and cruise my 23.
- If you're day fishing, it'll bring you home in more comfort and worse crap. You can have cabin heat and hot meals and a place to sit down or someone can lie down -- or play on their device.
- If you want to overnight at anchor or sleep at the dock, you can save a ton on accommodation and meals in Renfrew, Nootka, Esperanza, Quatsino, etc.

As for cost, mine was rebuilt at Blackline in 2006. I didn't have a mortgage until then, but we spent ~2/3 of a new boat then [$150K for new with D3 diesel, diesel stove, etc]. The boat is still like new and the family cruises it 30-40 days a year, plus some day-fishing. I've never regretted the investment. If you can do the work yourself, and you like any of those advantages, AND you want to keep it - I'd say go!

I think you’ll be upside down and be a lot further ahead just buying a finished boat. If you are shopping in that size I’d buy a 24’ Skagit Orca. Probably cost the same in the end and I think they are better boats with higher resale.

So I was driving around and saw an old 23 hourston in a guys yard. Knocked on the door and chatted with the fellow and I am pretty sure I am buying it
The good- 23 hourston

The bad - needs a complete overhaul everything - floors , stringers, transom and will require some extensive gel coat work

I am not a coward but am wondering if I am nuts though. I told myself never again but in reality for about 5k and a whole ton of labour I can have it ready for power
Figure a 1.5 year project
What’s your thoughts
So am I reading right, hull is essentially free, purchase price represents cost of trailer? Then 5K of materials to rebuild transom and stringers, your labour at no charge.

If you have a good place to work and the carpentry and fibreglass skills, it seems like a decent project.

Is the hull an IB or OB configuration at the moment? What would you want it to be in finished form?

So am I reading right, hull is essentially free, purchase price represents cost of trailer? Then 5K of materials to rebuild transom and stringers, your labour at no charge.

If you have a good place to work and the carpentry and fibreglass skills, it seems like a decent project.

Is the hull an IB or OB configuration at the moment? What would you want it to be in finished form?
sterndrive , my intention would be to build a fibreglass bracket and have a single 300.

sterndrive , my intention would be to build a fibreglass bracket and have a single 300.
A 300 is tons of power. Island Outfitters had a 26 with a 225 -- and it would go 40+ mph. I have a 200 hp diesel that tops out in the upper 30's and cruises at 24-28 mph while burning 5-6 gph.

A 300 is tons of power. Island Outfitters had a 26 with a 225 -- and it would go 40+ mph. I have a 200 hp diesel that tops out in the upper 30's and cruises at 24-28 mph while burning 5-6 gph.
A 26 hourston with 225 would be a dog. 225 is acceptable for a 23 but if you’re gonna pod and redo the transom, a 300 is amazing

All the basic parts are there. Pay money for qualified design on the pod, only one chance to get it right.

I have a 320hp VP duoprop IO (aka the height of stupid) on my 26, which doesn't have a hard top. I wouldn't want any less HP after converting it to OB and feel 2 x 150 like @Aces boat or 2 x 175s would be perfect. I also like a single big engine with a kicker for when I smoke one of the 10,000 deadheads on the inside.

Now I have to say the center console is a great idea. He nailed that on his 26 imo, awesome visibility all around from that spot.

I have a 320hp VP duoprop IO (aka the height of stupid) on my 26, which doesn't have a hard top. I wouldn't want any less HP after converting it to OB and feel 2 x 150 like @Aces boat or 2 x 175s would be perfect. I also like a single big engine with a kicker for when I smoke one of the 10,000 deadheads on the inside.

Now I have to say the center console is a great idea. He nailed that on his 26 imo, awesome visibility all around from that spot.
Twin 150hp would be perfect. I was just looking at pricing on the new outboards, omg! How can the price of a merc 200 increase by 12k in 2 years.
I had my 200 and 9.9 installed, new prop on main for 21k taxes in in 2020. Now a 200 is $29,000 Maybe I should look into a mast for a sail power

Ya crazy supply chain these days, and boy am I ever sick of having to say sorry to my clients...anyway, a fibreglass pod, you say? Do tell....

Twin 150hp would be perfect. I was just looking at pricing on the new outboards, omg! How can the price of a merc 200 increase by 12k in 2 years.
I had my 200 and 9.9 installed, new prop on main for 21k taxes in in 2020. Now a 200 is $29,000 Maybe I should look into a mast for a sail power
I keep getting these Facebook feeds for Alberni Power and Marine and big sales on their engine prices until the end of November. Have you checked them out?

Yup,new prices are insane,that is why I would be thinking more than twice about this project.All new wiring and electronics $$,upholstery $$,new motors $$,ETC.$$$$. What's your time worth to you? And you end up with a nice 40+ year old boat that will sell for much less than money invested.I'd be selling your boat for top dollar and looking at a near new boat for close to the same money you would be putting into a build.I don't like to lose money on boats and I've been pretty lucky not ever having to repower a used boat other than the one I owned for 17 years (not bad).Anyways-that's not what this crowd wants to hear,they want another build thread.

Back