23' & 26' Hourston Project Commenced...

What to do?

• Try and keep the boat and complete the project.

Votes: 71 71.0%
  • Sell the boat in current hot market.

Votes: 8 8.0%
  • Notch the transom for outboard.

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • Add extension bracket for outboard.

Votes: 57 57.0%
  • Install twin outboards.

Votes: 42 42.0%
  • Install single outboard.

Votes: 27 27.0%
  • Add command bridge.

Votes: 15 15.0%
  • Remove command bridge.

Votes: 42 42.0%
  • Accept "crowd funding"

Votes: 29 29.0%
  • Do not accept "crowd funding"

Votes: 16 16.0%

• Total voters
I wouldn’t operate a boat on the west coast without trim tabs, with single or twin screws. It looks tight but should work depending on dimensions of the engine bracket/pod...

I agree would be a lot to ask out of twin 115’s on a 26’. Propped correctly it would likely push it but you won’t be breaking any speed records. Couple zuki 140’s would be ok I bet.
Running a 225 on the 20’ and I wouldn’t drop down at all, next power will be a 250.

More pieces to the Taj Mahal :) The side panels should be ready by Friday and command bridge got gel'ed this am...

the panels are made from laminated 3/4 ply + 3/8 ply w/ 1708 glass on both sides so should finish around 1 1/4” thick.

Well, if you didn't have a boat name picked already, "Taj Mahal" has a certain ring to it. Either that or Steinway [as in, piano].

Thank you so much for the info and the pictures, appreciate the feedback, this definitely will help with my approach, pictures are not that terrible :D looks nice and clean and I like the steering mount :p, did you make it?
Nope, it came off a SeaWest boat I believe and is a pretty solid aluminium helm station. I wanted to keep the it small and tidy so it fit the bill nicely. Bit limited though to add electronics. Keep up the great work Rob - looking forward to seeing what you do with the interior! :)

Well, if you didn't have a boat name picked already, "Taj Mahal" has a certain ring to it. Either that or Steinway [as in, piano].

think she will be called “ Persistence “

I agree would be a lot to ask out of twin 115’s on a 26’. Propped correctly it would likely push it but you won’t be breaking any speed records. Couple zuki 140’s would be ok I bet.
Running a 225 on the 20’ and I wouldn’t drop down at all, next power will be a 250.

agree, ideally twin 200’s but for the first couple of years I will need to go inexpensive as possible until I recover from this stupid Covid :)

we’ll see what’s available when ready

You're good need those gigantic tabs with twin 115s unless you don't plan on planing that hull. Its going to be a heavy boat, be patient and perhaps a set of twins 175s or 200s will show up. Id call around to yamaha and merc dealers and leave your name in case they have someone looking to repower.

Btw on our boat with the single IO @ 320hp I only use the tabs to create tension on the hull once its onto plane, very efficient hull from my pov.

Considering it is way lighter than a sport fish with a heavy 250hp, https://www.boatdealers.ca/boats-fo...t-sportfisher-west-vancouver-british-columbia how do you think it would perform with the Yami 200hp? I love the power to weight ratio of that engine. :p

Careful now....you're comparing a diesel vs gas on the basis of horsepower....not a good comparison. Also, what Yamaha 200hp are you talking about? The 4cyl Yamaha F200 swings the smallest props in the 200hp class which in my opinion makes it a poor choice for heavy boats like this. The 3.4L V6 Merc is lighter, makes more power, and turns a bigger prop. Potentially out of the budget for now, though.

The Merc 150 gets great reviews and seems durable. Find a pair of those off a lodge/charter boat or something and you'll be set.

Aces, are those Mercs 6 cylinders? I'm guessing the 115's are 4 bangers and they would be revving their brains out to get that boat moving, command bridge and all that so having some torque back there will really pay dividends.

By the way that Hourston Sportfish has been for sale forever.

Careful now....you're comparing a diesel vs gas on the basis of horsepower....not a good comparison. Also, what Yamaha 200hp are you talking about? The 4cyl Yamaha F200 swings the smallest props in the 200hp class which in my opinion makes it a poor choice for heavy boats like this. The 3.4L V6 Merc is lighter, makes more power, and turns a bigger prop. Potentially out of the budget for now, though.

The Merc 150 gets great reviews and seems durable. Find a pair of those off a lodge/charter boat or something and you'll be set.
Haha, mostly just wanted to get you guys going, but also I don't think adding 1000+ lbs of engines and rigging is necessary unless you run offshore 10+ days a year, when 500lbs or so will do. I didn't know Yami still made two 200hp? I figure it is the I4. What's the Merc's HP and Weight?

I dunno I had multiple times this summer around texada and samgster that I felt duals are absolutely necessary from a safety perspective. If I lost the main one day heading out of malispina straits I was going in for sure no way the 9.9 was going to save my dumb butt.

I think Suzuki 2 x 140's are cheaper than 300 atm... for what it is worth I think the 300 will surfice and still be safe.

Panels should be completed today...

IMG_0685.jpeg

Considering it is way lighter than a sport fish with a heavy 250hp, https://www.boatdealers.ca/boats-fo...t-sportfisher-west-vancouver-british-columbia how do you think it would perform with the Yami 200hp? I love the power to weight ratio of that engine. :p

Its a steal at $115k...

"Description
Well over $250,000 replacement value, this Hourston has an endless number of upgrades and is in great condition, don't be fooled by it's age.The owner loves this boat and has taken tender loving care of it. This is the guy that you want to buy a boat from... Trailer sold separately. OFFSITE, call for appointment to view."

Hey I just though, is there not anyone else doing a restro of any kind? I would lov to follow someone else for a change instead of myself :oops: lol

Back