23' & 26' Hourston Project Commenced...

What to do?

• Try and keep the boat and complete the project.

Votes: 71 71.0%
  • Sell the boat in current hot market.

Votes: 8 8.0%
  • Notch the transom for outboard.

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • Add extension bracket for outboard.

Votes: 57 57.0%
  • Install twin outboards.

Votes: 42 42.0%
  • Install single outboard.

Votes: 27 27.0%
  • Add command bridge.

Votes: 15 15.0%
  • Remove command bridge.

Votes: 42 42.0%
  • Accept "crowd funding"

Votes: 29 29.0%
  • Do not accept "crowd funding"

Votes: 16 16.0%

• Total voters
Carpenter talk. Means a guy is doing something TOO nice. As in taking too long so he gets hassled about it. "We're not building a piano here Robert!" Is what they'd say... nevermind.

Only I meant it in a good way ;)
That’s what my home builder said 16 years ago. My response was, Ya I know I wouldn’t spend $450k on a F’n piano.

We say that. And it’s “not the Taj Mahal boys”

More pieces to the Taj Mahal :) The side panels should be ready by Friday and command bridge got gel'ed this am...

the panels are made from laminated 3/4 ply + 3/8 ply w/ 1708 glass on both sides so should finish around 1 1/4” thick.

Attachments

• IMG_0676.jpeg
    IMG_0676.jpeg
    900.1 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_0677.jpeg
    IMG_0677.jpeg
    295.9 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_0679.jpeg
    IMG_0679.jpeg
    318.4 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_0680.jpeg
    IMG_0680.jpeg
    385 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:
Yeah I have re

First time I heard was in BC lol!

Its a first for me as well, one I will not forget, might even use it now and again! :)

"Hurry up you slackers, you're not building a piano" LOL I like it...

Last edited:
If you do your layup on a sheet of glass (old patio door) or similar,you can save all the sanding and filling on 1 side.Or just do a gelcoat/mat sheet and stick it to the unfinished side,then no fill,sand etc..

If you do your layup on a sheet of glass (old patio door) or similar,you can save all the sanding and filling on 1 side.Or just do a gelcoat/mat sheet and stick it to the unfinished side,then no fill,sand etc..

"old piano door", keeping the theme of the day - hahahaha :D

LovIt, for the bulkhead panels was thinking on using a sheet of melamine and reversing the layup with gel, mat, ply to make things go a bit quicker... should work hey? :)

Last edited:
Hi Rob,
I just had my bulkhead done. Used ½” marine ply (laminated both sides) for the sides and 3/4” laminated ply for the door. Secured with L brackets on the floor, sides and top so that it can be removed in the future if needed. Re-used the windows and piano hinge to keep costs down. I also used 3/4” starboard for the side pieces so there will never be rot there again. I will be building benches inside which will further stiffen the bulkhead but it’s pretty strong already without much flex. Sorry about the bad photos - all I could find of it.

Attachments

• 64CEE866-EECF-4E15-A341-0014E5B044FC.jpeg
    64CEE866-EECF-4E15-A341-0014E5B044FC.jpeg
    52.6 KB · Views: 115
  • EA4592C6-4FD0-499A-895B-2A3EFFAEF620.jpeg
    EA4592C6-4FD0-499A-895B-2A3EFFAEF620.jpeg
    64.3 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:
I know I’m a bit late to the game but if you run into problems with custom hardware or something crazy you have envisioned, I might be able to help. I work at a stainless shop with a waterjet. Send me a pm if you need something. Awesome build.

I know I’m a bit late to the game but if you run into problems with custom hardware or something crazy you have envisioned, I might be able to help. I work at a stainless shop with a waterjet. Send me a pm if you need something. Awesome build.

Hummm, sounds like a "Gandalf" line, you are not to early nor too late a wizard metal worker is always on time... :) lol Thank yo for reaching out and offering, I'll keep ya posted if anything comes up that will be mind blowing awesome :eek:

Hi Rob,
I just had my bulkhead done. Used ½” marine ply (laminated both sides) for the sides and 3/4” laminated ply for the door. Secured with L brackets on the floor, sides and top so that it can be removed in the future if needed. Re-used the windows and piano hinge to keep costs down. I also used 3/4” starboard for the side pieces so there will never be rot there again. I will be building benches inside which will further stiffen the bulkhead but it’s pretty strong already without much flex. Sorry about the bad photos - all I could find of it.

Thank you so much for the info and the pictures, appreciate the feedback, this definitely will help with my approach, pictures are not that terrible :D looks nice and clean and I like the steering mount :p, did you make it?

Do you think I can still have room to get twins with the 24x9 tabs, i do like the bigger tabs...

IMG_0657.jpeg

You can get notches built into the pod to facilitate those tabs whenever you decide which way you’re going.

I had cut outs for trim tabs engineered into my pod But never did install any. The boat didn’t need them. If I have any list due to improper weight distribution I just tilt up the motor on the other side a bit to straighten it out.

You can get notches built into the pod to facilitate those tabs whenever you decide which way you’re going.

I had cut outs for trim tabs engineered into my pod But never did install any. The boat didn’t need them. If I have any list due to improper weight distribution I just tilt up the motor on the other side a bit to straighten it out.

ingenious!! ...but I do like the idea of having a redundant system for trim efficiency, performance and weight disruption

Twin 115's would be sick, nice and light and a ton of them around for parts. :D

Last edited:
Back