23' & 26' Hourston Project Commenced...

What to do?

• Try and keep the boat and complete the project.

Votes: 71 71.0%
  • Sell the boat in current hot market.

Votes: 8 8.0%
  • Notch the transom for outboard.

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • Add extension bracket for outboard.

Votes: 57 57.0%
  • Install twin outboards.

Votes: 42 42.0%
  • Install single outboard.

Votes: 27 27.0%
  • Add command bridge.

Votes: 15 15.0%
  • Remove command bridge.

Votes: 42 42.0%
  • Accept "crowd funding"

Votes: 29 29.0%
  • Do not accept "crowd funding"

Votes: 16 16.0%

• Total voters
Definitely sliding door as opposed to hinged. Closing the door is nice for noise reduction as well.

Aye, anyone with a design and hardware used, etc... that they can shoot my way? The fixed walls are a no-brainer but looking for slider ideas and some hardware options. Thx! ;)

Last edited:
Here are a few different setups
75904165_934.jpg 73126468_934.jpg 63924972_934.jpg 22405855_10155365098413791_3088071783640035822_n.jpg These are what the buck heads should be like. There is a cleat that holds it to the floor and a slot that it slides into on side and above. the two sides slide in and then there is a piece that goes above the door. then 3 pieces of door trim and the door all support the roof. The buck head is all held in with screws and not glassed to the hull or floor. This is how it was built by Hourston. The cuddy Buck head was only glassed on the bottom and the back only in the storage lockers. Above the lockers it was not glassed to the hullIMG_3032.JPG

Attachments

• 00f0f_htTcFnp3FJl_1200x900.jpg
    00f0f_htTcFnp3FJl_1200x900.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 21
Hauled my sliding glass to the dump, probably dumb right?
I moved my axle back 3" so I could get decent tongue weight, going back more!

Hauled my sliding glass to the dump, probably dumb right?
I moved my axle back 3" so I could get decent tongue weight, going back more!

how dare you, you should have saw this coming lol :)

still not working so I have time to do it myself :( thinking $400-$500 should do it

@Corey_lax - any idea what it would cost to get all glass w/sider door?

ok so if I were going to go with all glazing the sides and a header would have to be framed in first to receive the glazing frame

to bad you do not live near to Vancouver I bet you would have guys lined up asking you to do fibreglass work.

Robert, I have a sliding door on my little Ranger Tug. Fibreglass with a window. Just slides in a top and bottom track made from starboard. May not work for you but works great on my boat as I have very little room for anything to swing.

Robert, I have a sliding door on my little Ranger Tug. Fibreglass with a window. Just slides in a top and bottom track made from starboard. May not work for you but works great on my boat as I have very little room for anything to swing.

humm, good idea, can you send a picture or a few for me pls, thx

still not working so I have time to do it myself :( thinking $400-$500 should do it

@Corey_lax - any idea what it would cost to get all glass w/sider door?

ok so if I were going to go with all glazing the sides and a header would have to be framed in first to receive the glazing frame
I don’t think any of the sliders that we use would be good for a boat application. You’d need to find something with some friction so the doors not flying back and forth while you hit waves.

I’ll take a quick look tomorrow and see what’s available

Boat sliding doors typically run on bottom rollers (in the door bottom) and don't lock into open/closed position.Hardware is required to hold door in place.A hinged door is held in place open by a simple hook latch.The far right bulkhead picture shows the simplest setup,but won't work with a ladder.

Last edited:
The sliding door on my Bro’s North River latches in place in both the openEd and closed position. It’s a sweet setup.

to bad you do not live near to Vancouver I bet you would have guys lined up asking you to do fibreglass work.

if I don’t get work soon that may be my “ new norm”... haha

Carpenter talk. Means a guy is doing something TOO nice. As in taking too long so he gets hassled about it. "We're not building a piano here Robert!" Is what they'd say... nevermind.

Only I meant it in a good way ;)

No worries, all good... :) That went totally over my head... lol

yes sir, I have quite a bit of time atm so the boat is it, it gets me out of the house and my mind off, what if’s...

believe you me the boat is not perfect but not too shabby if I do say so myself, haha

Back