23' & 26' Hourston Project Commenced...

What to do?

• Try and keep the boat and complete the project.

Votes: 71 71.0%
  • Sell the boat in current hot market.

Votes: 8 8.0%
  • Notch the transom for outboard.

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • Add extension bracket for outboard.

Votes: 57 57.0%
  • Install twin outboards.

Votes: 42 42.0%
  • Install single outboard.

Votes: 27 27.0%
  • Add command bridge.

Votes: 15 15.0%
  • Remove command bridge.

Votes: 42 42.0%
  • Accept "crowd funding"

Votes: 29 29.0%
  • Do not accept "crowd funding"

Votes: 16 16.0%

• Total voters
You'll save a lot of money by doing it yourself.Bulkheads glassed in on both sides with windows that line up in door and which ever side bulkhead doesn't have your ladder or both sides.Those boats can be hard to steer from cockpit without a sight line.Buying 3 aluminum frame windows shouldn't be too expensive.I've seen too many household style sliding patio doors in boats,no strength to them.. and they look cheap.

You'll save a lot of money by doing it yourself.Bulkheads glassed in on both sides with windows that line up in door and which ever side bulkhead doesn't have your ladder or both sides.Those boats can be hard to steer from cockpit without a sight line.Buying 3 aluminum frame windows shouldn't be too expensive.I've seen too many household style sliding patio doors in boats,no strength to them.. and they look cheap.

this is what I am thinking, I will like to get the sides and door up before winter and the windows can be purchased and cut out at a later date...

Lov2 but on a budget :)
Get it priced you'd be surprised. What's a glass door and two windows going to cost you alone? Plus time and material for building 10 square feet of wall, finished both sides, with holes in it?

Get it priced you'd be surprised. What's a glass door and two windows going to cost you alone? Plus time and material for building 10 square feet of wall, finished both sides, with holes in it?

still not working so I have time to do it myself :( thinking $400-$500 should do it

@Corey_lax - any idea what it would cost to get all glass w/sider door?

ok so if I were going to go with all glazing the sides and a header would have to be framed in first to receive the glazing frame

Last edited:
The 26 Hourston typically has a settee ,head on port side and galley on Stbd. side,so no point in having glass in bottom 3 Ft.Glassed in plywood bulkheads will add a lot of strength to the boat.Besides this is a classic boat and should look like one,not an 80's Bayliner.

Last edited:
The 26 Hourston typically has a settee on port side and galley on Stbd. side,so no point in having glass in bottom 3 Ft.Glassed in plywood bulkheads will add a lot of strength to the boat.Besides this is a classic boat and should look like one,not a 80's Bayliner.

yes sir, the roof from what I can tell will need a solid bulkhead as the roof is all of 250lbs if not 300. As you said the cabin layout will determine the window size. Once the inside is complete I can get max size windows to open things up a bit and install a big one in the sliding door but still leaving lots of wood for good strength. I will glass both sides of the bulkhead, I’m thinking

Kinda like the wood look, not as hard as white on the eyes on a bright day...

002DF7BB50AB48A9BE8F852ED5F210EE.jpg

Last edited:
Scott,it's pretty much mandatory IMO to have a bulkhead there,there's no strength in the window frames and glass to stop side walls from twisting/moving.Especially if he adds the bridge weight,people,traps etc. up there.The only other bulkhead is at the v-berth which doesn't support the upper roof/bridge deck.

Last edited:
Imagine setting up the window frames on your front lawn,then dropping a 1000 lbs. on top.Then imagine that unit rocking back and forth and sideways in rough water. Somethings gotta give. Any structure underneath (pillars) will help,but I think with the head on port side and galley on Stbd.side it just makes sense to fill it in with plywood and add big windows for light and sight lines.

I think I would lean towards the open concept, no doors to close you in.
cuddy would still be lockable storage.

the cuddy will not be receiving a door, my wife gets cold easy so I do need a closed in cabin, this isn’t negotiable for me.

Scott,it's pretty much mandatory IMO to have a bulkhead there,there's no strength in the window frames and glass to stop side walls from twisting/moving.Especially if he adds the bridge weight,people,traps etc. up there.The only other bulkhead is at the v-berth which doesn't support the upper roof/bridge deck.

Exactly, well said thank you

Last edited:
Definitely sliding door as opposed to hinged. Closing the door is nice for noise reduction as well.

the cuddy will not be receiving a door, my wife gets cold easy so I do need a closed in cabin, this isn’t negotiable for me.

A Wallas stove/heater will make your whole cabin and cuddy well-heated space - not critical in warm sunny conditions, but worthwhile for a rainy westcoast trip. Add a dodger and a canvas, and you've got a 3-room house.

Back