2021 JaxonCraft Build Thread

Robert is now bolting on the rod holders and the cabin grab handles . (Powder coated in silver).

Just a series of nice photos, no commentary required by me.

However I should point out the obvious which is that that my wife has a great eye for colour and design and she spent a lot of time working out the colour scheme (there are a lot of blues to choose from ).

As you can imagine she spent a lot of time selecting and designing the font and colours for Aluminiferous. I would not have had the patience nor the artistic talent to put everything together. She and Robert were very much simpatico on design and colour ideas and they would talk amongst themselves.

I also once again want to thank ReelSlim for his earlier build thread , we would never have found JaxonCraft were it not for his build thread.

1638578900252.png

1638578921924.png

1638578946267.png

1638579289548.png

1638579326560.png

Last edited:
This has to be the best build thread so far. I hope the builder keeps good records of how everything was done,because I'm sure someone is going to say "I want one just like that".

I feel like we might have to do a launch party parade! I’m up in courtenay this weekend and keeping my spending to hot chocolates and lamb but would love to make a deposit on a custom build like yours. Good things are made up here.

Robert often has a waiting list of a few boats. We were lucky, we called and he had just had a cancellation. I know he is starting a 27' with a pod as soon as ours is finished. It's funny when we first met him he was just finished a 22 centre console and it seemed enormous.

When we first saw our boat when the hull was being formed we thought , "What are we doing ?, Are we building a ship?"

Now when I see the photos it doesn't seem that big, but when I am aboard it seems just the right size for the two of us.

We just received new photos from Robert late this afternoon.

Before we look at the photos this is a good time to discuss the supply chain.

So,,,,, Robert has been because of our whining (ok my whining) been following up on items not yet delivered but ordered some time ago.

1. Rat Fur. This is the material that will line the V-Berth. It is still on a truck and should be showing up any day now.

2. Windows. Well this is a different story , the windows were ordered months ago and now there is a problem getting window frames finished. As I understand it the chemical needed to adonize the bare aluminum window frames is out of stock everywhere. The solution is to arrange for the frames to be powder coated in the same shade of silver that is being used for the rod holders and grab rails.

I think this is a win.

.Now on to the photos.

As many of you know we are using Shockwave seats and pedestals. The seats are the high back model in a special order colour.

All of the upholstery/v-berth, etc. will be done in this colour Note the Shockwave foot rests are not yet installed. one seat has a swivel and slide the other has a slide only.

Passenger Seat (slide and swivel)

1639121162236.png

Captains Seat

1639121213121.png

Better photo of passenger seat

1639121264522.png

Last edited:
Radar Arch spot light mount, etc.

Note : Robert has installed a remote control spotlight.

The mount can be lowered thanks to Robert building the mount so that it can be quickly lowered (two bolts) and the mount will rest on rubber pads when in the recline position. The Spot light positioning (up/down, port/starboard) is remotely controlled from the dash.

I will get some photos of the mechanism when we are next over to see the boat.

1639124264230.png

1639124294578.png

The roof rack is is now attached, and will hold 2 Prawn and 2 Crab traps, or the small inflatable we have not yet purchased.

1639124373331.png

The ETA for the boat to get the motors installed will be early Jan 2021. All the electronics still have to be installed. (We bought them all in April)

Breakers Marine put all of the controls, harnesses, and gauges away for us when we bought the 150's in April and through good product planning on Suzuki's part they will work on the 200s. The 6 year warranty for the 2020 200s starts on 1/1/22.

Last edited:
Bill

Let me know how the spot light works in that position. I have a mount that is part of my anchor light that can be lowered as well. I'm not sold on it being the best angle and might hit my brow and radar dome too much. I'm toying with the idea of mounting under or on top of the brow or even off the handrail on the bow. I've probably put far too much time into it considering the few times I will actually use it.....lol The boat is looking great.... even though the build can be stressful at times especially now with delays there is a lot more fun times during and after the build! Enjoy it.....

Greg

@Bill 310 Do those shockwave high back seats tilt forward so when you're fishing off the back deck they will no longer be in the view corridor for dodging other boats, crab pots, etc?

It would be nice to have the option to clear up the sight-lines from the back deck when controlling the boat from the back deck.

Boat is looking great and really coming along. Congrats!

Last edited:
Bill

Let me know how the spot light works in that position. I have a mount that is part of my anchor light that can be lowered as well. I'm not sold on it being the best angle and might hit my brow and radar dome too much. I'm toying with the idea of mounting under or on top of the brow or even off the handrail on the bow. I've probably put far too much time into it considering the few times I will actually use it.....lol The boat is looking great.... even though the build can be stressful at times especially now with delays there is a lot more fun times during and after the build! Enjoy it.....

Greg

Greg,

I will try and get some up and down position photos Sunday and post them. I think it swings back and like you I have an anchor light up top on the main (lower tower mount) Fortunately for my ADHD & OCD Robert just does stuff like this and I am surprised and then when I see it I am grateful that he is making these decisions . (I wouldn't be surprised that my wife and he have discussed and agreed to this strategy).

Actually , the build hasn't been that stressful, except when we had that "WTF -we are building a ship moment I described earlier."

The best advice you gave me on the build was to visit often and that has made the build really not that stressful and has allowed us to experience the process and develop a good rapport and working relationship with Robert. I know I would have been unhappy with using one of the builders who indicated that customers visiting the shop during the build wouldn't work for them.

I was looking at the time of the build to leaving Robert's shop on our threads and counting Christmas and the pandemic supply chain we will have a two months longer build duration than yours. But then parts of our build are more complex or detailed than yours (rear cabin wall, taller cabin height, rear transom seat, roof racks, modifications to provide longer v-berths, Lone Star Anchor install, etc) so Robert is pretty consistent on his build times.

During one delay Robert called me and told me I was getting additional coats of bottom paint because we will be moored 365 days a year. There was no downtime except for the last week of August when the shop closed for vacation.

@Bill 310 Do those shockwave high back seats tilt forward so when you're fishing off the back deck they will no longer be in the view corridor for dodging other boats, crab pots, etc?

It would be nice to have the option to clear up the sight-lines from the back deck when controlling the boat from the back deck.

Boat is looking great and really coming along. Congrats!

It has been so long since we were at Shockwave my answer is I think they tilt. I will check that and check the sightlines standing on the rear deck Sunday. Not that I can do anything about that now.

The cabin is taller and the windows are larger so I know I can be stranding in the cabin and look out without stooping at all (the windows are taller than me )

We went for the taller seat backs because even though I am nearly 6'4" I have a 32" inseam (total freak of nature) and the regular seat backs were more rack like than I was hoping for.

We didn't add in the seat heaters for a bunch of reason, I have had heated seats on motorcycles and if you are wearing riding gear the heat one feels, is at best negligible.

I am thinking about having some Saddle Man's loops (Stainless steel) installed on the rear sear box sides so that we can strap down duffels/infallibles on a longer trip and not have soft bags flopping around..

It has been so long since we were at Shockwave my answer is I think they tilt. I will check that and check the sightlines standing on the rear deck Sunday. Not that I can do anything about that now.

The cabin is taller and the windows are larger so I know I can be stranding in the cabin and look out without stooping at all (the windows are taller than me )

We went for the taller seat backs because even though I am nearly 6'4" I have a 32" inseam (total freak of nature) and the regular seat backs were more rack like than I was hoping for.

We didn't add in the seat heaters for a bunch of reason, I have had heated seats on motorcycles and if you are wearing riding gear the heat one feels, is at best negligible.

I am thinking about having some Saddle Man's loops (Stainless steel) installed on the rear sear box sides so that we can strap down duffels/infallibles on a longer trip and not have soft bags flopping around..
Maybe you can just swivel them to the side if it's an issue. Either way it'll be way better than what I have for visibility. You'll find with the bigger boat you'll just have to get used to the occasional finger thrown your way. Radar while fishing in close quarters is essential for me.

Last edited:
Sunday Dec/ 12 update.

First of all photo of tall man (6'3 1/2 ") inside boat. Note Gunnel height and extra protection it provides.

Pony tail was started about the time of Covid and no haircuts since . We had lost 3 good friends to cancer in the immediate months leading up to Covid.

Apparently grey hair for wigs is hard to come by and artificial Grey hair looks really fake.

1639380039752.png

Meet the new New Shop Dog "Billy"

King Charles Spaniel /Beagle Cross

He is the best dog.

1639381027309.jpeg

Let's talk about welds.

Robert was telling us today about how particular he is about the position that weld beads start and stop.

I hadn't noticed the symmetry before. The weld beads go up in a line. In this case there are two more beads above these two and yes they line up as well.

You can walk around the boat and follow the bead lines .

1639381262752.png

Sunday Dec/ 12 update.

First of all photo of tall man (6'3 1/2 ") inside boat. Note Gunnel height and extra protection it provides.

Pony tail was started about the time of Covid and no haircuts since . We had lost 3 good friends to cancer in the immediate months leading up to Covid.

Apparently grey hair for wigs is hard to come by and artificial Grey hair looks really fake.

View attachment 73001

Meet the new New Shop Dog "Billy"

King Charles Spaniel /Beagle Cross

He is the best dog.

View attachment 73004

Great new addition to the shop. When I made a trip out to see my build I brought my daughter with me. I was super excited to get into the shop and see the boat and walk on the newly completed deck. My then 11 year old never made it to the shop and spent the first hour or so entertaining these two and was missing her big Golden at home. Sorry to get the thread off track. Getting close now to the finish line!

Attachments

• Dogs.jpg
    Dogs.jpg
    461.4 KB · Views: 96
Great new addition to the shop. When I made a trip out to see my build I brought my daughter with me. I was super excited to get into the shop and see the boat and walk on the newly completed deck. My then 11 year old never made it to the shop and spent the first hour or so entertaining these two and was missing her big Golden at home. Sorry to get the thread off track. Getting close now to the finish line!

Johnny, Robert's Golden passed this fall and Billy is the new dog. My wife and I are quite taken with Billy and me a big dog guy (Irish Wolfhounds) is really quite smitten with Billy and thinks one just like him would be an excellent boat /house dog.

I posted a photo of the internal panel photo a few days ago, Here is the panel up close. (It is behind the pilot's seat on the cabin wall) . On shore power wile batteries are charging one socket is live, when off shore power or batteries are not charging both sockets are live. I expect that we can run both the little dehumidifier and heater while hooked to shore power and batteries are charging.

I will need to get someone who is better at electrical math than me to tell me if the load will be acceptable .

1639414058048.jpeg

1639414115855.jpeg

Back