2020 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saturday... spent a pleasant day on the water by the freighters.
Was fishing in about 200 ft of water on the bottom and had a solid hookup with a good fish and after about 20 seconds Mr, whisker decided he needed the fish more than me and the tug of war started. After a few minutes of battling it broke off whilst making a really strong run and I reeled in half a flasher. Was using regular 30 lb mono.
The seal did not surface once during or after which seemed weird....shark maybe?
You should watch this presentation by Dr. Carl Walters on the need for a pinniped harvest:

Digger what are you running for hooks? I run a single 4/0 or 5/0 Stinger and that's it. Means you have to stay out front of the fish with lots of tension but it also means if you hook whiskers, get some slack and you stand a good chance of parting ways and keeping your gear. Ive had it happen twice already this winter sason and each time I managed to keep the gear. A wrist rocket and marbels works too, so I've heard from a friend...
Those 270 hoochies work well too

One technique that works for me is to carry a cheapo semi-automatic paintball gun (legal seal deterrent here in WA) and always shoot at them while on the troll. Keeps them fleeing (they really freak out if you can hit within 10 feet of them). If they do grab your fish, get close enough to them when they surface and lay into them with the trigger. They often will release the fish and flee. I've got a really cool gopro video of an encounter like this where I got the fish back and released it unharmed. YMMV.
Outstanding!

You should watch this presentation by Dr. Carl Walters on the need for a pinniped harvest:
Almost every report lately mentions seals stealing fish.. the seas are overrun with them...there needs to be a bounty on seals.
GNWT has wolf bounty...they know that they need to cull them.

Almost every report lately mentions seals stealing fish.. the seas are overrun with them...there needs to be a bounty on seals.
GNWT has wolf bounty...they know that they need to cull them.
Been a bounty on Wolves and Coyotes in most of northern AB for years now, there has to be a balance found.

Hey guys...I know this started with a question of how to win the battle with fish stealing seals, but is wandering completely off topic now. Vancouver and area is still being fished for winter Chinook so let's get back to reports please.

Brian

I was in the freighters stated around 1230. Fished around the deeper sections around berths 2 and 3 and then the AP spoon picked up 2 nice springs that were around 18", maybe the same one twice haha. That was it other than the GD sunken weighted rope that others have found too. I had both cannon balls on it but managed to back down and get em back. Nasty mess!

Ab, where's this sunken weighted rope? Sounds nasty indeed. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
X marks the (general) spot haha I was heading east towards Stanley Park, riggers around 140' or so. They spooled up to the boat to about 25' before it was a hassle. Backed down some more, did a couple of quick drops and released one, the other wouldn't so I put the gloves on and hand bombed it to the boat. The rope must be long bit I manged to get my cannon ball back.

I was going to chop the rope in half to see if that would help but it slipped away and I was outta there.

The names on the freighters probably have changed since last Thursday but the berth locations won't so you get the idea cheers.

Attachments

• 20201211_074533.jpg
    20201211_074533.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 157
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back