2020 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I fished the harbour as well yesterday and it was very slow for me. Started at the bell and did a few passes along the mile markers, then moved out into the anchorages. There was a huge shoal of bait between anchorages 2 and 3 (currently the ships there are Federal Cardinal and Lowlands Energy) and I worked it for about 2 hours but couldn’t pull anything bigger than 12” out of it. I did see one net out on the same bait about 1 1/2 hrs before the afternoon tide change.

I was out the last two days doing some prawning up in Howe sound. Not much to show for the effort. Thru a bunch of females back ended up with with maybe 75prawns out of 8 traps. Kind of sucks. Starting to think maybe my Baits no good. My prawn pellets are about two years old, does the oil in them go off?
I always use soaked pellets, herring chunks and a little bit of oil. But I know guys that swear by just herring or just pellets. I think it's about hitting your spot accurately. Some spots I find that missing by 100 feet can be a blank. Last couple years I've been consistently finding them shallower also.

I always use soaked pellets, herring chunks and a little bit of oil. But I know guys that swear by just herring or just pellets. I think it's about hitting your spot accurately. Some spots I find that missing by 100 feet can be a blank. Last couple years I've been consistently finding them shallower also.

Interesting I use pellets soaked in a lot of oil maybe too much..... I will try a bit shallower next time, I was targeting 300ft this last time out. So you don't think the pellets can be off maybe rancid after two years of storage?

I've found the prawning to be significantly worse this year. A couple good pulls, but most way below average. Maybe it's an off year, or could be because there are way more boats out this year than in the past.

Probably didn't help that one time we came back and found someone had dropped their trap pretty much on top of our set - floats were about 20' apart. c'mon...

Interesting I use pellets soaked in a lot of oil maybe too much..... I will try a bit shallower next time, I was targeting 300ft this last time out. So you don't think the pellets can be off maybe rancid after two years of storage?

I don't think pellets go bad. I had one of my best pulls with a bait cup I had left full of pellets/oil from the season before that was completely covered with mold. I guess I forgot to dump it and I just sent it down in a trap to give it a go. I did however top it up with some fresh cat food.

Fished the harbour yesterday for about 2 hours. Nothing to show but a flounder. Fished in the freighters, then when the wind picked up moved over to west van. Nice day out there!
were u marking much for bait and fish there in the harbour?

Hell of a year, with some kick butt fishing squished between dodging sneezes and falling daggers. Sfbc continues to attract quality like minded folks, I for one have learned a ton about fishing and boating on here and hope to pay that forward whenever possible.

All the best in 2021, everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back