2020 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
First go of the season this morning for winter springs.
Hit Tunstal for first light, first boat in and hooked a beauty on the first pass...but the d!ckhead tax collector decided it needed it more than me. Bait was packed in on the flood. Grabbed another about 70cm out deep and released a couple smalls before it got too busy. Lots of boats by time I left.
black double glow /3” herring aid and 645 plug. Fish was full of shiners. 177 on the rigger was good today.
Beautiful day

View attachment 59218
awesome you got some keepers today i was at tunstall today just one under for me today fished tunstall all day there defintly was lots of bait in there today kinda why i stuck it out there all day hoping for some more fish oh well still was a great day You get some pics of your fish?

awesome you got some keepers today i was at tunstall today just one under for me today fished tunstall all day there defintly was lots of bait in there today kinda why i stuck it out there all day hoping for some more fish oh well still was a great day You get some pics of your fish?
No, never ended up taking a pic of the fish. Really tapered off once all the boats arrived. 90% of action was before 10. Flood tide probably helped

Saturday was super nice to be out on the water. Fished from about 10:30-12:30 close to the Cap on the flood. Lots of bait being marked in about 130. 2 shakers, one undersized and one keeper. Had the kids and wife out so a short trip with action and great weather made for a fantastic time. Green skinny G had all the action running to the bottom. Did find a way to lose a cannonball when we made a turn that was way too tight. Not sure why given there was just one other boat around. Oh well, thems be da breaks. Tight lines all.

Saturday... spent a pleasant day on the water by the freighters.
Was fishing in about 200 ft of water on the bottom and had a solid hookup with a good fish and after about 20 seconds Mr, whisker decided he needed the fish more than me and the tug of war started. After a few minutes of battling it broke off whilst making a really strong run and I reeled in half a flasher. Was using regular 30 lb mono.
The seal did not surface once during or after which seemed weird....shark maybe?

Attachments

• 20201206_143827.jpg
    20201206_143827.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 131
Saturday... spent a pleasant day on the water by the freighters.
Was fishing in about 200 ft of water on the bottom and had a solid hookup with a good fish and after about 20 seconds Mr, whisker decided he needed the fish more than me and the tug of war started. After a few minutes of battling it broke off whilst making a really strong run and I reeled in half a flasher. Was using regular 30 lb mono.
The seal did not surface once during or after which seemed weird....shark maybe?
Not a shark. You probably had a hairline fracture in the flasher which was the weak point as Mr Whiskers pulled and pulled. Whiskers can stay down for a long time and then surface very far from you.

Not a shark. You probably had a hairline fracture in the flasher which was the weak point as Mr Whiskers pulled and pulled. Whiskers can stay down for a long time and then surface very far from you.
You are probably correct... but in the past when I have been sealed whiskers comes to surface at some point with my fish in his mouth to gloat.

maybe some of you know the tactic to get yer gear or fish back from the whisker facker..? if you have someone with you, or not, get them or you to start the big motor, drive over your gear and the seal, reel like hell, attempt to stay right over it. When they come up for air stay right on top of it. sometimes it works. it really doesnt work if they have a partner in crime. see this in bam quite a bit.

Last edited:
maybe some of you know the tactic to get yer gear or fish back from the whisker facker..? if you have someone with you, or not, get them or you to start the big motor, drive over your gear and the seal, reel like hell, attempt to stay right over it. When they come up for air stay right on top of it. sometimes it works. it really doesnt work if they have a partner in crime. see this in bam quite a bit.
or just reel like crazy to get the fish away from the seal

Absolutely beautiful day on Saturday. Dropped the prawn traps at Bowen Island and headed over near Gibsons. Caught a couple of undersize springs. Picked up the prawn traps on the way back, not much of a catch but there was eight in one trap. I haven't done a lot of sets for prawns before so still trying to learn as much as I can.

It was hard to believe it was December. Looking forward to getting out again when I can.

Absolutely beautiful day on Saturday. Dropped the prawn traps at Bowen Island and headed over near Gibsons. Caught a couple of undersize springs. Picked up the prawn traps on the way back, not much of a catch but there was eight in one trap. I haven't done a lot of sets for prawns before so still trying to learn as much as I can.

It was hard to believe it was December. Looking forward to getting out again when I can.
Awesome man good for you. Lots of weight and stinky bait! You'll get em.

Is passage island in the glass sponge reef area?
Yes it's highly restricted and overfished in the legal areas you can find. There's also poachers in the area regularly. Plus all the prawns are females or small this time of year. Give it a break.

Very beautiful but very slow day for me. Put in 1 1/2 hrs Hutt to Waterfall/3rd marker without a touch and wasn’t seeing much, so pulled up and ran over to Gambier Hbr. Hit a fish as soon as the gear was down but it didn’t stick, then got sealed on a fish right at slack. That was it.

Attachments

• 97EAFA62-F8E7-41FC-BCF9-9CC29E039795.jpeg
    97EAFA62-F8E7-41FC-BCF9-9CC29E039795.jpeg
    81.3 KB · Views: 60
Very beautiful but very slow day for me. Put in 1 1/2 hrs Hutt to Waterfall/3rd marker without a touch and wasn’t seeing much, so pulled up and ran over to Gambier Hbr. Hit a fish as soon as the gear was down but it didn’t stick, then got sealed on a fish right at slack. That was it.
Did you try Tunstall?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back