2020 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice! I made the mistake if dropping by the office just for a minute...might have a shot at the freighters mid day.

We didn't have nearly that kind of action. Just the two hits. Still never been sealed. Good seeing you out there, really really nice boat.
Thx your boat is looking nice too. Did you change the the trim from blue to black?

Some of the action, as well as the seal was at Tunstall but the keeper and most of the fish were right at the waterfall where we were in tight. Great day.

I was in the freighters stated around 1230. Fished around the deeper sections around berths 2 and 3 and then the AP spoon picked up 2 nice springs that were around 18", maybe the same one twice haha. That was it other than the GD sunken weighted rope that others have found too. I had both cannon balls on it but managed to back down and get em back. Nasty mess!

Anyway great day, should have gone for a longer boat ride clearly haha...next time, perhaps Saturday!

Saw you guys at Tunstall today. We had our first one in 5 mins, just a tad under. Had another 2 but also just short. Hopefully they fatten up soon. We stayed around the 140 contour maybe should have ventured deeper apparently. Nicely done Mudguts. Struck out on prawns and crab today. Good news, no processing time ;)

Thanks! I did yes. Made a 92 a 2012.
Lol. Looking sharp! I’m rocking a 1977. Lots of days left to fill the freezer until they shut the door in the spring. The diesel heater and the new riggers are a game changer during the winter fishery. The 2106’s are amazing with 20lb balls when fishing 200’+

Lol. Looking sharp! I’m rocking a 1977. Lots of days left to fill the freezer until they shut the door in the spring. The diesel heater and the new riggers are a game changer during the winter fishery. The 2106’s are amazing with 20lb balls when fishing 200’+
Man you took the words right out of my mouth. 2016s and a heater make this fishery not so bad at all. I nailed the age of your boat too! My buddy didn't believe it for a minute.

Man you took the words right out of my mouth. 2016s and a heater make this fishery not so bad at all. I nailed the age of your boat too! My buddy didn't believe it for a minute.
It was built for an ex Vancouver Canuck named Garth Razoto. Built with gas pigs and re-powered with Penta 41’s like ur boat. 28knts cruise. Lots of fishing history too. Some good, some bad.

maybe some of you know the tactic to get yer gear or fish back from the whisker facker..? if you have someone with you, or not, get them or you to start the big motor, drive over your gear and the seal, reel like hell, attempt to stay right over it. When they come up for air stay right on top of it. sometimes it works. it really doesnt work if they have a partner in crime. see this in bam quite a bit.
One technique that works for me is to carry a cheapo semi-automatic paintball gun (legal seal deterrent here in WA) and always shoot at them while on the troll. Keeps them fleeing (they really freak out if you can hit within 10 feet of them). If they do grab your fish, get close enough to them when they surface and lay into them with the trigger. They often will release the fish and flee. I've got a really cool gopro video of an encounter like this where I got the fish back and released it unharmed. YMMV.

Hey the issue I have had over the summer and the couple times I been out in the harbour this December is actually hooking up with the seal or the seal getting caught in the hook while stealing your catch especially when you hook a small one.. then I don’t know what to do for me I have been spooled twice lost all my line flasher and spoon it really sucks .. I tried to stay on top of them and when they come up I can see the spoon right in the seal and then it just goes bad from there .. maybe give them slack they will shake the the flasher and spoon .. I give up ... be interested and one has another suggestion

Digger what are you running for hooks? I run a single 4/0 or 5/0 Stinger and that's it. Means you have to stay out front of the fish with lots of tension but it also means if you hook whiskers, get some slack and you stand a good chance of parting ways and keeping your gear. Ive had it happen twice already this winter sason and each time I managed to keep the gear.

A wrist rocket and marbels works too, so I've heard from a friend...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back