2014 Tuna Adventures

I am out for this weekend. Any good water from Tofino is going to be 55 to 60 miles off. Too far for this cat. Going to fish kings and silvers. lol

I am out for this weekend. Any good water from Tofino is going to be 55 to 60 miles off. Too far for this cat. Going to fish kings and silvers. lol

Roger that. I love catching those American Kings heading South :p. Hopefully next weekend :).

Roger that. I love catching those American Kings heading South :p. Hopefully next weekend :).

It was a good weekend of fishing springs and kings indeed but I heard a rumor that commies are loading up 70 miles off Tofino. Their here, I just feel it but I am unable to get out for a couple of weeks. Dang!!

It was a good weekend of fishing springs and kings indeed but I heard a rumor that commies are loading up 70 miles off Tofino. Their here, I just feel it but I am unable to get out for a couple of weeks. Dang!!

I like the sounds of that rumor. TC and myself are planning a shot at them again this weekend if the water improves. Weather so far looks ok for Saturday. We shall see how it looks later this week. Too bad you can't make it. It's always fun fishing with you or talking to you on the radio out there.

Chomping at the bit!!!

I've heard reports that tuna are being caught out of La Push. Haven't seen any at Neah Bay yet but haven't heard of any going out for them out of Neah either.

I like the sounds of that rumor. TC and myself are planning a shot at them again this weekend if the water improves. Weather so far looks ok for Saturday. We shall see how it looks later this week. Too bad you can't make it. It's always fun fishing with you or talking to you on the radio out there.

Chomping at the bit!!!

Im pretty sure Ill be passing the "first sport caught tuna WCVI torch" this year. Good luck out there. I am sure you will get'em!!

Chomping at the bit!!!

Will be in Bamfield tomorrow night and hoping to get offshore for tuna on Friday or Saturday. TC has my Sat phone info, please let me know when plans are finalized. Tykkyt may come out as well.

Serious Fog out there ,
doesnt that somewhat take the fun out of it ?
make ya a little nervous lol ??

you guys are hard core

stay safe out there !!

fd
Radar is your friend, or should be, if you are going through the shipping lanes (or anywhere out there) in the soup

Got that right FD. I love having radar and the feeling of how accurate it is as the fog lifts and all the boats you think are out there are actually where the radar says they are.

Will be in Bamfield tomorrow night and hoping to get offshore for tuna on Friday or Saturday. TC has my Sat phone info, please let me know when plans are finalized. Tykkyt may come out as well.
Dak

We are watching the weather at this point; it continually is changing and we will be making our decision Friday; it is looking fairly good at this point but the offshore swell is going to be bigger than the on shore; usually meaning something is brewing and we want to make sure we aren't going to get pounded on the way back in. As well the SST and chloro is continually changing and that will be the deciding factor; up north looks excellent but Louden/Barkley/Clayquot not so good until the 100 mile point.

I take it you are planning to head to Nitnat? I will be in touch as soon as the decision is made; my crew would not be happy with me if I took them out into large close swells; if they spread out a bit it isn't a problem. I will PM you tomorrow and let you know how we are looking; everyone is chopping at the bit to get out there and get some albies on board but as everyone's safety is number one we can't make the decision until it is closer to the week end. I will be in touch!

Often once you get in the warm water there is no fog especially in the afternoon. Most summer fog seen here is advection fog. Warm moist air on cold water.
Never the less...fog is fog. I dont mind it. Used to it I guess. Used to being carful.
There is allot to be said for the relation ship with clouds/fog and water temp. Even higher cloud at 1000 feet or so can be effected by water temp . On my last trip I found a warm section of water by seeing the low cloud layer was not in an area. I suggested going over there for I felt there was a possibility it was warmer over there for the radiant heat of the water warmed the air above the dew point. Speculation posably but we went over there and it was a degree and a half warmer.
The latest sst pictures on terifin are fogged out on the cold water up to 30-40 miles out then it is all clear where the warm water is. Not looking good off tofino. Much better to be fishing out of barkley I think right now for any sporty sport boat.

I heard the tuners come in as close as 10-15 miles offshore of kyuquot late august early September. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Anyone planning on a Saturday run? My cousin (commie) is doing 150 a day in Barkley Canyon right now and a massive grade of fish. I had a quick look at the weather and it doesn't look bad for saturday. My other cousin (commies brother, not a member on here) is gonna give it a poke and is looking for a buddy boat or two. I'd like to hook him up with someone on here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone planning on a Saturday run? My cousin (commie) is doing 150 a day in Barkley Canyon right now and a massive grade of fish. I had a quick look at the weather and it doesn't look bad for saturday. My other cousin (commies brother, not a member on here) is gonna give it a poke and is looking for a buddy boat or two. I'd like to hook him up with someone on here

Im watching it but if there is not a good picture and some closer water other than the last 55 to 60 mile run I saw last I am out. From the last shots I saw looked like barkley canyon was the best go. Waiting for a picture. Then Saturday is my day if the data lines up.

Most of the commercial fleet is 80 miles or more but I'm hearing of good numbers as close as 70 miles. There is bound to be a few in closer.
A few weeks yets before I can go or I would be giving it a go now.

Ya I think these guys are gonna go on either a decent SST shot OR commie numbers inside 70 miles. They're gonna bring the salmon and Hali gear incase they can't find the water they're after. I really wanna hop in and have a look but I really gotta get some work done on my boat...

Looks like I'm gonna hop in with these guys and take advantage of some awesome commercial reports today... We will be on 67 and 16 if there's anyone around. Headed to some numbers in Loudoun.

Back