2014 Tuna Adventures

Just nearing Sooke after going down the west side over the past few days on a work trip (tugboat). Saw some signs that would suggest there's some warm water nearby. A sunfish only 6 miles offshore from Esperanza and up between cape Scott and Brooks it looked like massive groups of man-of-war jellyfish!?? Not sure if these are even found in canada, but I don't know what else they could have been.

Not one whale on the west side.... A few black/whites by nawhitti but I was looking for humpbacks representing bait.

I will be in Bamfield the 18th and 19th of July and weather permitting, looking for a buddy boat to hunt tuna.

I will be in Bamfield the 18th and 19th of July and weather permitting, looking for a buddy boat to hunt tuna.

DAK
Right now I have a crew ready to go that weekend and we are just waiting to see what weather and SST are looking like. We are going to be running out of Ukee to unknown canyon as of yet. If everything is a go for that weekend I will PM you, I believe Sculpin is also going to make the run as he is chomping at the bit to get out there.

Last edited by a moderator:
I cant make that weekend. Good luck! There are some nice hard edges out there now!!! Looks good!

DAK
Right now I have a crew ready to go that weekend and we are just waiting to see what weather and SST is looking like. We are going to be running out of Ukee to unknown canyon as of yet. If everything is a go for that weekend I will PM you, I believe Sculpin is also going to make the run as he is chomping at the bit to get out there.

Sounds great, as noted by Birdsnest, there are a couple of spots that look promising on the SST charts. Maybe we can split up and cover some more water. Will PM my sat phone number to you.

I cant make that weekend. Good luck! There are some nice hard edges out there now!!! Looks good!

It does look good. This Saturday looks really good weather wise. I know it can change but so far it keeps improving. I'll be watching it all the way to Friday then make the call. Are you into Saturday Jay? I'm ready to roll.

It does look good. This Saturday looks really good weather wise. I know it can change but so far it keeps improving. I'll be watching it all the way to Friday then make the call. Are you into Saturday Jay? I'm ready to roll.
You are reading my mind sculpin. Yup, watching Saturday for sure.

I'll be in touch later this week :).

Anyone else thinking about taking a poke out there on Saturday?
I'm seriously considering a run to Nitinat Canyon. If it wasn't for there's so darn many nice kings running close to shore right now, it would be a no brainer. But with big kings around and it being early in the tuna season, it's a tougher call. Oh well, life is full of tough decisions.

Looks like that hard edge moved off my area and the good temps a solid 50 miles off. Not ideal for me. Looks ok off ukee/bamtown. I believe this is the product of strong NW winds for 4 days or so. All the inside waters(off shore) 0 to 30 miles out have churned and cooled. Good for salmon fishing maybe but may have just pushed that good tuna water out of reach for me here in tofino. The blowing is over so no doubt that warm edge will ever so slowly creep its way back to the 40 mile mark.

Looks like that hard edge moved off my area and the good temps a solid 50 miles off. Not ideal for me. Looks ok off ukee/bamtown. I believe this is the product of strong NW winds for 4 days or so. All the inside waters(off shore) 0 to 30 miles out have churned and cooled. Good for salmon fishing maybe but may have just pushed that good tuna water out of reach for me here in tofino. The blowing is over so no doubt that warm edge will ever so slowly creep its way back to the 40 mile mark.

I hear ya. The chloro doesn't look good at all this morning.

I'm getting really different shots between Terrafin and Rip Charts. Going to have to keep playing around with Rip Charts I guess.

I'm going to keep looking at it up to Friday afternoon.

I'm seriously considering a run to Nitinat Canyon. If it wasn't for there's so darn many nice kings running close to shore right now, it would be a no brainer. But with big kings around and it being early in the tuna season, it's a tougher call. Oh well, life is full of tough decisions.
In canada we call em ... SPRINGS

:) Yes - but since most of the fish you are catching are coming from US hatcheries, isn't king the correct term? :p
Nope ... we are Canadian ... ...SPRING ... not KING ... COHO...not SILVER ... get with the program .. EH

Nope ... we are Canadian ... ...SPRING ... not KING ... COHO...not SILVER ... get with the program .. EH

If I catch 'em on the US side of the line, can I still call them kings or do I need to call them springs so you'll understand what they were? How about if I just say Chinook? ;)

Back