2014 Tuna Adventures

Ok then. As some here may know I like to take a poke at the "june tuna" every year and last wends provided a window to do so. While forecast conditions were not ideal my tuna addict buddy pretty much begged me to go. The canadian forecast for west coast van isle north and SE explorer were calling for up to 20 kn of wind but the van isle south was calling up to 15 kn. Buoy weather was calling up to 10 kn which was within my limits so I agreed to go although I did not think it was going to be an easy day.

We managed to do 20 kn on the way out while enduring left over NW chop from the explorer region which was 2-3 ft at 7-8 seconds. Not ideal but reasonable.

The main driver of this trip was the last minute pictures from terafin where my area had data. Temps and cloro were good and on the big picture it looked like the highway was connected. We saw mola mola and blue sharks and more albatross than most days. It looked and felt like a normal tuna day out there so we were interested in the day. The one different factor was the presence of velella:http://www.google.ca/search?client=...&oe=UTF-8&gfe_rd=cr&ei=XdSuU-38MuLY8gfcpoGIDw The surface was covered with these critters for the whole day and some did foul our hooks. In some areas it was like a blanket of velella covering the surface. The was no moment in the day where we could not see 3 or 4 thousand of these at one time. All day.

At the end of the day we were in a large but sparse group of dolphins. We thought it may be our best chance to get a tuna but nada.
Had really nice blue water as you can see in this photo in the prop wash.
IT was an epic day out there with no wind and glassy conditions. It was a bit windy near shore on the ride back but that was about it. The highway needs time... the highway needs time.

Nice report and thankyou for posting. I'm hearing of sport caught albacore from Eureka CA to Ilwaco WA. I know the rafts of Velella are a problem all the way down to at least offshore of the Columbia river. Hopefully, they'll go away soon as they make it hard to troll.

Have u been able to get out again? I am hoping things pick up as I would like to book a trip around july 20th
This forum is so exciting it makes me want to move..

Hoping in mid July when in Tofino for 10 days that things look good to give it a whirl. :cool: Best not before a few days of chasing salmon/Hali, as after tooners.....they'll seem pretty "ho hum"! :rolleyes: :p

Skunked again but I would go again tomorrow based on intel and the action I saw today. Epic day just no fish in the box. Maybe sunday.

Skunked again but I would go again tomorrow based on intel and the action I saw today. Epic day just no fish in the box. Maybe sunday.

Awesome stuff Jay. You got my blood pumping after our phone call. The totes and gear are in the boat. I'll talk to you tomorrow about Sunday. Thanks for the report!

Jay.....what do you mean by "Intel and action"?

As as a one time tooner....thinking if things look good to ask Mr. Hale of Tofino about taking a shot in 2 weeks?

Just curious to learn what looked good? I was hooked after my one day with Shawn when you were out there too.

I heard ( not confirmed) that a canadian commie boat is getting them 50 miles off at the boarder and the info from the washington (second hand to me) guys was epic. This and the conditions I saw today are very promising. Good water temps, and the clearest blue water I have ever seen along with schools of saury everywhere all day with dolphins on them. Also today was the most tuna birds I ever saw by far. I'm kinda loosing faith in the tuna birds but today they would be 20 or 30 in an area the size of a house circling and dipping into the water. We saw this bird action 6 or 7 times today.
Unfortunately it was still vellela-ville out there with some areas free of them. They are hook foulers but its random and unpredictable so you have to keep checking the gear. I hope I do not have to fish in those again.
Saw a super pod of off shore orca on the way out too and 7 fur seals. The usual warm water critters were out too, large mola mola and blue sharks.
It was the kind of day where you never were bored for there was just so much going on to fuel hope that the fish are there. I have heard that the early fish can be a bit tricky so they could be there. I think they were and it was just an off day or one day too early. Who knows, who cares, it was a great day out there on the smooth sea with so much happening to get/keep hopes up and the sea state was a 9 out of 10 with a glassy surface most of the day.
No good pictures (terafin) to work off so we went to our usual area and covered all that up to 50 miles out, good water everywhere. In the afternoon we trolled in to the valley of the canyon to try and find a hard edge and we did find a hard chloro break but there was very little activity there. Far more action further out.
Today looked like the best opportunity to try again for the next little while so that we did.

Thanks for the low down Birdie; put a crew together for the 19th weekend, hopefully they are here by then and the winds co-operate and we will be out there. Thanks for putting in the time and money and sharing the info with us.

Got a report that a commercial boat with a BC resident onboard is getting 100/day (not great) about 60 miles off the Columbia and a charterboat out of Ilwaco got 12 yesterday about 40 miles out. They shud be up out way in good numbers by the end of the month.

I'm sure Birdsnest will find some soon as he has a good nose for them and is tenacious

I'm sure Birdsnest will find some soon as he has a good nose for them and is tunacious[/QUOTE]

fixed:}

Is trying for tuna in June not tunacious enough? lol

It looks like it is going to blow pretty good here this week so I suspect this will be a big shake up on the water out there. Strong NW winds can bubble up cool water out there so this week may make the water fairly splotchy. Should be interesting to watch. Will it crowd fish into little hot spots or will it just push all the warm water away? Nothing unusual for July. May have the tuna gear dry and stored for a few weeks like so many other July's. Par for the course.

Back