2014 Tuna Adventures

yes i got the terra fin i guess you just take the numbers and put them on your plotter to find out how far and where ?
That's one way. Also you can download the terrafin app for your phone or tablet and store selected terrafin images on the phone/tablet. With the built in phone/tablet GPS, you can see your position directly on the terafin chart.

That's a bit of a trip from Bamfield we"ll have to refuel in Winter Harbour for sure.

If it wasn't for the shootout can you say ROAD TRIP!!! I would love to do that someday:D.

All new bearings and good high load radial tires on the rig buddy :cool:. I think I'll make it to China Creek without a blow out :).

Last edited by a moderator:
Yessss!!! The hard edge off of tofino just moved in just about 10 miles closer. Thats a bit of a bonus:)

Its been a tough year so far with the exception of one of my trips in july. Hope this situation allows for some making up for that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yessss!!! The hard edge off of tofino just moved in just about 10 miles closer. Thats a bit of a bonus:)

Its been a tough year so far with the exception on one of my trips in july. Hope this situation allows for some making up for that.

I was doing some serious fist pumps when I saw that lastnight. Now if it only has fish....

I'll be going out of Westport again tomorrow. From there it looks like a 42-45nm run to the SW to get to good water. I haven't have a good tuna trip yet this year so we'll see how this one goes.

I think we will be fishing up there with you this weekend Birdie. If this water holds, we will be setting a course due west from Beale and not stopping til we see jumpers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I fished out of Westport WA on Sat. We ran SW about 45 miles to get to warm water and trolled S from there. Fishing on the troll was slow. Eventually we wound up with the rest of the rec fleet off the mouth of the Columbia river. Trolled swim baits were the best and produced 3 out of the 5 fish we wound up with. Not a great day but better than being skunked. 3 fish were mid to upper 20's, 2 were teens. We had a long rough 20MPH slog home against a 15kt north wind. 20MPH was hard going in those conditions and I beat the crap out of the boat and all inside in the 3 hour run home. It would have been much more comfy at 15MHP but then we would have been crossing the Westport bar in the dark and I'm not too thrilled with that given the number of crab pots in that area. By the time we got home, all were sore and everything that wasn't nailed or bolted down was on the floor inside the cabin. Oh well, still it was a fun day.

I am all set up for hand line Tuna fishing on my boat and want to buy some rod and reels. What kind of reels would be best? I've looked at Avet and what model do you guys use?

Thanks

I've gone pretty cheap. While these albacore fight well, they're not that huge. I just bought a bunch of Penn GT-320's and spool them with 65# braid. I stick those on Tiger Ugly Stick rods. The whole setup - line, reels and rod comes in around $150 US. At that price, it was easy to purchase multiple setups (we troll with 6-8 lines out). The Penn reels are pretty tough and easy to repair. The only thing that goes wrong with them is the level wind and you can either remove that entirely or keep spare parts on board. I do the latter and can replace the pawl and level wind gear in less than 5 minutes.

Back