2014 Tuna Adventures

Well it looks like we may be getting a good run of tuna fishing weather for the our off shore waters Wednesday and through the weekend. Its a bit intimidating given the recent reports of long distances and low numbers. Seeing how the fish have not been bitting so great and what seems to be a trend of morning and evening bite or one or the other I am keen to get my first overnighter under my belt. Needless to say I will be bringing some way more tackle and bait including some casting rods. I think I may even try some needle fish patters seeing they may look like a small saury. I'm not expecting any staggering results from a change in tactics but ya never know. I hope the fish just bite!!!!

WHat are others going to try when there are jumpers and no biting?

Well it looks like we may be getting a good run of tuna fishing weather for the our off shore waters Wednesday and through the weekend. Its a bit intimidating given the recent reports of long distances and low numbers. Seeing how the fish have not been bitting so great and what seems to be a trend of morning and evening bite or one or the other I am keen to get my first overnighter under my belt. Needless to say I will be bringing some way more tackle and bait including some casting rods. I think I may even try some needle fish patters seeing they may look like a small saury. I'm not expecting any staggering results from a change in tactics but ya never know. I hope the fish just bite!!!!

WHat are others going to try when there are jumpers and no biting?

I did a run out of Westport on Sat. labor day weekend and got one fish. The bite then was early in the AM and after that nothing for everyone. This past weekend I didn't have time for tuna but I did do salmon early and listen to the Westport tuna guys on the radio. Some fish were seen jumping but very few were biters. Most boats came back empty. The live bait guys did well and as was mentioned above, some did OK on slowly trolled swimbaits or jigging iron. I need to learn both of those techniques and/or install a bait well on my boat. I'm going out of Westport for tuna this Sat. AM and I hope things will be better. We've been out for 2 (or 3?) tuna trips so far this year and have only landed 3 fish. Lately my tuna fishing trips remind me of this Jeff Foxworthy video. Just replace "deer" with "tuna", hunting stuff with fishing gear, the 4WD truck with a 4WD truck AND a boat and it's pretty much spot on.

[qJa8kxPfPoU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJa8kxPfPoU

If anyone from the Lower Rainland needs some swimbaits in a hurry I'll loan you my collection and you can replace the one you lose-email for details.

Went out of ukee on Saturday with the new and improved pursuit rigged and ready for tuna. Last year I was out in my 26 pursuit but decided to step it up with a bigger better boat and much needed twin 300s. Long story short we left the dock around 530 so we could meet up with the bamfield boats offshore. Fished a long day with only a few jumpers. Hooked a coho trolling 7-8mph which was pretty exciting. After trolling a 30+mile loop around both Loudon and clayquot canyon and far out as 80+miles we officially got skunked. All in all was a good trip with lots of laughs and good friends.IMG_151679461222617.jpg

Attachments

• 20140906_060523.jpg
    20140906_060523.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 457
What's his name that runs Q Cove has the good colours and will ship USPS to Canada if you can get his attention

http://www.qcove.com/

His name is Ken Pinnell and he is a great guy trying hard to keep up a great product while running a small operation.

He can't make the shoot out this year to give the seminar due to a shoulder operation earlier this year. It's too bad because he put on a great presentation.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had the good fortune to spend last week fishing out of Westcoast Resorts, Englefield Bay on the west side of the Charlottes. The weather was very good for the time of year and conditions allowed a group of 5 guide boats and guests to head out for tuna last Thursday. They really aren't set up for tuna fishing but basically loaded the fish boxes with ice, and each boat ran 4 hali rods with hootchies skimming the top. Only needed to run about an and hour out (around 15 - 20 miles) to find the right water temps and get on fish. All of the boats did fairly well - about 4 -5 tuna per boat for a few hours effort.

They were back at the lodge by early afternoon to process the catch and back out salmon fishing later.

Unfortunately I wasn't in one of the boats that ran out. Amazing that the tuna are heading that far north. Not sure if this is fairly common up there or if the El Nino year just created the right conditions.

Good luck to everyone at the shootout.

My buddy was up there on the same trip. he was on one of the tuna boats and said it was the highlite of the trip. he has a bad back and said the run offshore was killer for him. he didn't have alot of good to say about Westcoast Resorts though.

Weather starting to lay down outside and the trend for the warmer water seems to be moving back toward the Island like it was the end of August when we did very well catching the elusive Albacore Tuna.
We will be giving it a go on this Thur., Fri. & Sat. out of Tahsis. Leaving the dock at 6am(1st light). If there are other boats out there who want to team up on any of those days let us Know. The more the merrier. Also easier to find the fish & safer. FOJ 250 934 7672 we monitor VHF 6 & 19

Weather starting to lay down outside and the trend for the warmer water seems to be moving back toward the Island like it was the end of August when we did very well catching the elusive Albacore Tuna.
We will be giving it a go on this Thur., Fri. & Sat. out of Tahsis. Leaving the dock at 6am(1st light). If there are other boats out there who want to team up on any of those days let us Know. The more the merrier. Also easier to find the fish & safer. FOJ 250 934 7672 we monitor VHF 6 & 19

FOJ, Whats your plan? Im wondering if you'll be our our way off Hesquate point from Nootka island? If you are there will likely be a fair number of Tuff boats there.

FOJ, I may be up there this weekend (Saturday) if your reports are of better fishing than we had last weekend. Please let us know how you make out Thursday.

b43555b9605b81e57c45155c9d2220b9.jpg
7d1d90b0ca674521a7876f6e8797177f.jpg
23eec7176c85537fb4cd40071038e313.jpg
8d662f6162ace9973ffe0827f36e31f7.jpg

Sure hope they are closer than that come next week, will be cutting into my fishing time.

I sure hope so too Wade. We'll see on Friday what the water is doing. We're planning an overnighter on Saturday. Anyone else going to stay out there Saturday night?

nice pics guys, nice to see a lady out too
ya we were 90 off the beach and still saw the mountain peaks surprisingly

Back