2014 Tuna Adventures

Which shots are you looking at? (I might get my pee pee slapped for this but here it goes.....)

I'm looking at 149 over 127.50. That's hard enough. Better than down South for sure. Way closer in as well. I nailed it on the Sunday first weekend of the shoot out. Getting better at reading these things this year man.

I'm ready to pull the rig and give her man. You got me pumped up. Need a deck hand though.

Talk to you tomorrow.

Cheers,
Sculpin

Can't see the terrefin shots you posted unfortunately, asks for a password. I was looking at a shot crabby chris sent me from buoy weather, I don't have any subscriptions. I've never used that so I might be reading it wrong. I did see that warm finger (49.0, 125.0?) but its a 75 mile run from Tofino. Either way, ya never know until you go! Looks like the weather will be there.

Can't see the terrefin shots you posted unfortunately, asks for a password. I was looking at a shot crabby chris sent me from buoy weather, I don't have any subscriptions. I've never used that so I might be reading it wrong. I did see that warm finger (49.0, 125.0?) but its a 75 mile run from Tofino. Either way, ya never know until you go! Looks like the weather will be there.

Subscriptions pay for themselves in fuel burned easily:cool:. I'll give you a call in the morn:).

I'm signed up to Terrafin (best for sst and chloro shots), Ripcharts (cool but second best for sst and chloro shots),and Buoyweather (just for weather).

Last edited by a moderator:
this is best shot this week Oct 4 here is route info with temp. Kelly is right no clear break except here. ( 47° 50.50´ N / 125° 59.21´ W Temp: 60.3°F 66.4 NM 189° Mag ) This is from beale.planning on heading out Thursday morning. 15 sec swells under 1 m.

this is best shot this week Oct 4 here is route info with temp. Kelly is right no clear break except here. ( 47° 50.50´ N / 125° 59.21´ W Temp: 60.3°F 66.4 NM 189° Mag ) This is from beale.planning on heading out Thursday morning. 15 sec swells under 1 m.

Ya that looks good. I checked bloodydecks to see if any yanks were fishing it but they were all way south.

My shots are from Oct. 6th and that will change every day. The swell is from the South which seems to favour the Clayquot area in past. I will look again tomorrow morning and decide ultimately if I'm going to leave work for this adventure.

Shots look good for both Clayquot and Barkley. Can't see a good chloro shot for the Barkley though. Just finalizing a plan.

deckhand

Shots look good for both Clayquot and Barkley. Can't see a good chloro shot for the Barkley though. Just finalizing a plan.

Hey can you still use a deckhand? I might be able to make myself free. I have my own 22 foot sea sport, but I've always wanted to get out for tuna! Where do you leave from?

Hey can you still use a deckhand? I might be able to make myself free. I have my own 22 foot sea sport, but I've always wanted to get out for tuna! Where do you leave from?
They went yesterday

Octuna!!!

One last kick at the can.

Kelly got the tuna frenzy going, the weather looked great, and the shots looked good. Had to give it a try :).

Owen and I left Salmon Beach at 4:30 a.m. yesterday for a very long day on the water.

We got out there and started around the area we fished the first weekend of the shootout. There was finning tuna and bait all around us when we dropped the gear. We trolled around for a couple of hours with out a hit. Tom from Max Fish was out there with his family and hailed us on the radio. He travelled all the way NW of the ammo dump and was into some fish right off the bat. We pulled the gear and headed up that way.

Max fish and crew during a quad hook up.

The weather out there was one of the better days I have experienced offshore. Very smooth seas and cool skies.

Continued...

As soon as we got up there we saw jumpers and picked up a couple on the dive boards. The small pockets of fish were very skitterish. Wish we had a 25 lb. block of herring to try to get a bait stop going but we didn't.

Owen with his first troll caught tuna on the line.

Max Fish and crew did well with 10 boated and a few lost. They saw quite a bit of action. It was great talking to Tom on the radio and having a buddy boat out there. Congrats on a good day :).

We ended up with 4 for the day with a few misses on the dive boards and one lost that did the kamikaze dash across the whole spread lol!

Continued...

Still can't believe the weather we experienced out there this time of year. It is one of the main reasons I love offshore fishing. It is magical for sure.

Heading for the barn with 75 miles to go!!! We kept the Opti at 4000 rpm and under while running. It was surprisingly good this trip. We burned 77 gals of fuel and 6 litres of oil for the whole trip. Not too bad me thinks.

What an amazing ride home for most of the way.

We hit fog at the inside bank on the way in and had to run on radar in the fog and dark. We had a little bit of a wait for the tide due to it being 1.5 feet at Salmon Beach around 7:30. I can't pull the boat unless it's 3 feet or better. We received one last radio check from Max Fish and headed into Ukee for a well deserved pizza. After dinner the skies cleared up a wee bit which made the trip from Ukee to Salmon Beach a bit better. We pulled the boat at 9:30 p.m. and crashed for the night. Came home this morning tired but rested.

What a great way to end the Sculpin's tuna season. Thanks for coming along Owen. It was a blast.

Till next year. See you addicts later :cool:.

Cheers,
John

Back