2013 Vancouver, Howe Sound and Sunshine Coast Fishing Reports Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice fish CC! Silva was producing for us last weekend. Not hot but still a few screamers through the day. Cheers

Does anyone launch at McDonald beach
Is it a good launch?

I tried once from there and destroyed a trailer tire on something in the water and have been hesitant to go back there again.

Tides look like they will be pretty low tomorrow. Does anyone know what tide height would be a minimum at McDonald beach to get a 24 foot trophy in and out safely?
Thanks

Had a good morning at Thrasher and a slow afternoon. Lots of action until about 11:30 AM at 135 to 160.

Attachments

• thrasher June 22 comp.jpg
    thrasher June 22 comp.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 700
Wow I heard you did good on the radio...about the only one who did by the sounds of it. What was the final tally chins to hos?

Crabbing was devestating off the north arm today. 2 pots 2 hours no keepers but it was a nice day to get out thurr

Fished Camp Bing Friday Morning- released 5 undersized leading up to slack at 10:30 and then not a sniff. Trolled from south bowen later in the day on our way to false creek with nothing. Back to work tomorrow just in time for the wind to have died down and the sun to come out!

Tides look like they will be pretty low tomorrow. Does anyone know what tide height would be a minimum at McDonald beach to get a 24 foot trophy in and out safely?
Thanks
2' will work but shallow when leaving away from the dock. 4' is plenty.

Beautiful night out of halfmoon bay. Took my nieces out and bagged them each their first salmon. A 14 lb chromer for one and a slab weighing 27 for the other. Several shakers to round things out as well!! image.jpg

fished 7am-4pm today, vancouver harbour, west van, up into how sound, nothing to show for it...not even a shaker bite lol...played around with lots of gear, usual spoons, hootchies, needle fish hoochy...depths 45' - 200'

fished the weekend again out at epsom pt

on sat fished and had and released a 20 lber due to buddie pulling on wrong end of the rope to bleed it over board
not happening again on my boat.....lol
and to day bagged a 31-32lb tyee 39" length nose to fork of tail grith 25"
will try post a pic when i get some
also a had a few small'uns 10lb and 12lb

all taken on splatterback green glow hootchie @150' on the rigger trolling 165 ' water depth

also watch out for commi trap sets in the 100' zone
all along north thornaby
we tangled up in one sat and had a gong show sorting it out
losing a cannon ball and release clip in the process and wrapping the braid in the kicker prob
not happy i can tell you but lesson learned and payed off by hitting the deeper water

boats back down in gibsons now
where we found out that one of the trailer tire de-laminated
on the trip back down the coast
lucky it did not blow out or fall apart while the boat was being pulled
so tip guys always check your tires carefully sidewalls and all in and out side
especially if its sits most of the year.

now to bang some from close to home tight lines all

31lb tyee john.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice Tyee John - will have to fish up that way soon - its been a while.

Today Gabriola was amazing, not so much for big keeper Chinook as I had only 4 good Chinook on my lines ( kept 2) but for numbers of fish and action in general including smallish undersize Chinook and the coho, it was busy. The size of some of those wild coho for June is amazing too. Probably had 18-20 Chinook hit the lines today, 5 wild coho and 1 hatch.

IMG_4796 coho spring.jpgIMG_4793chin.jpg

Gabriola to snake was pretty good to us also. Landed a 19 first thing off grande at 165 with a Stella hootchie and a 14 off the water fall with the same set up. Ran to snake for some coho action and had a great time playing some good size coho, landed our 4 hatcheries of surprising size in short order. Chartreuse ace high and flasher worked great as did a purple onion and pink and blue squirt trolled from 65 and up. The amundson reel I won in lady weekends derby feels so nice and smooth made for a good time. Great weekend of fishing, picked up some nice yellow eye also.

Did the run across to Gabriola Sunday a.m. but was a little late getting going. It was slow for me off Gabriola until I moved into 600 feet of water between Grande and the Waterfall ... was extremely active after that as I was fishing on my own and couldn't keep the coho off. Ended up trying to drop the bottom two lines just below the coho and then started to hit some springs. Kept 13 lb and 9 lb springs and two 5lb hatcheries and released a low 20's spring and approximately 10 wilds. Really good to see the number of coho this year.

we left the dock by 8:00 and fished Thrasher from about 845 till 11:30 pulling spoons and hootchies
picked up a nice hatch coho right away, then banged a nice double header of springs on the turn boated one at 27.5 lost the other, picked up another 10ish lber a few mins later,
then trolled around out front and nailed a monster out front of the marker in about 600'
had it right to the boat 3-4 times but it just wouldn't give up, every time it seen the net it was gone, definitely Tyee+, just would not tire out splashing and rolling the a coho, last run was a doozy and gone,
all this while the other rod laid in the holder pounding away too, had to ignore it as we new this thing was an absolute pig! other rod ended up coming in coho
headed up to entrance looking for some more coho, managed another hatch,
tried for some bottom fish with no luck
all in all was a fun day, ended up with 2 hatch's and 2 springs and 2 doubles headers, got to love that
I think I do have to check my scale accuracy tho as the one big guy we boxed was 41" nose to tail and 25" around, definitely measured up bigger then a 27.5lber
all action was 107'-155' inc Coho's on double glow chartreuse hootchie and homeland security spoons
with the big one we lost on a purple ace hi, green glow flashers and green onions

IMG_1654.JPG (2).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back