2013 Vancouver, Howe Sound and Sunshine Coast Fishing Reports Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yup CZ was the area pro by the sounds of it!! Great job, a damn fishy boat! Green with envy over here! Heard of a few more low to mid teens taken today south of the hump. Managed to get out myself after working out some fuel line bugs. Just gorgeous out there today. The wind kept it a little brisk....

no fish for my boat yet, but only an hour was spent at the hump today. Great weekend on the water.

Nice work CZ. That's what I wanted to hear! Your timing was perfect for hitting that first wave of fish that everyone's been waiting for. I'm sure there will be more boats out to the Hump now.

Was a beautiful day out there today. Targeted the low slack and managed to boat a 12 lber. That was it but released half dozen unders. Gear wasn't working today as all action came on bait. Fishy depth for me was 75. After CZ's successful trip and report, will be headed out bright an early for tomorrows 830 slack. Thanks for the report CZ.

Question for you veterans, do your sounders show anything fishing the deeper water? My elite 5 shows nadda...

Question for you veterans, do your sounders show anything fishing the deeper water? My elite 5 shows nadda...

What do you mean by deeper water? is it losing bottom?
elite 5 I think is good for 1000' the hump is approx 450-525' with a channel between it and bowen aprox 750' but drops off pretty quickly to 1100ish once you fall off the south side of the hump and you should lose bottom there,
try turning up your ping speed you may be losing it if it has to travel too deep by the time it gets back up to you your gone, also try tipping your transducer down at the rear slightly, that will work a little better in deeper waters
sometimes a little tuning is all that is needed
Tim

Hi Tim, yes, my sounder loses bottom. I tried lowering the sensitivity and that helps the unit track bottom but do not see bait at all. Will try turning up the ping speed tomorrow. Fishing the hump I don't care so much about the depth but would love to have bait show up. Will try toying around with it tomorrow a bit more than I have. thanks for the advice.

Tom

Happy to say I caught one at the Hump. Until this day it was Boat Guest 13, Captain 0. Finally got one to bite my lure which was a black and white coho killer which has now been retired due to the hook being broken off in the fishes mouth and the tail being bent (what fishing stories are made of right!). Second one on the line was undersized but a biggy, on a cop car. Was out there when CZ was catching his, missed the bite by an hour though thanks to the unanticipated late opening of the fuel dock and a terribly unprepped downrigger. Can't wait to get back out there.

Also, was a poor day for prawning only yielding 9 after a 6 hour soak where a 2 hour soak yielded 30's in the past. Might need to move to a new place next time. Crab trap offered up 1 large keeper making it my first fishing hat trick of the year which I BBQ'd when I got home. The bar has been set and this is my new expectation....fishing hard the rest of the summer.

Happy to say I caught one at the Hump. Until this day it was Boat Guest 13, Captain 0. Finally got one to bite my lure which was a black and white coho killer which has now been retired due to the hook being broken off in the fishes mouth and the tail being bent (what fishing stories are made of right!). Second one on the line was undersized but a biggy, on a cop car. Was out there when CZ was catching his, missed the bite by an hour though thanks to the unanticipated late opening of the fuel dock and a terribly unprepped downrigger. Can't wait to get back out there.

Also, was a poor day for prawning only yielding 9 after a 6 hour soak where a 2 hour soak yielded 30's in the past. Might need to move to a new place next time. Crab trap offered up 1 large keeper making it my first fishing hat trick of the year which I BBQ'd when I got home. The bar has been set and this is my new expectation....fishing hard the rest of the summer.

Great report!

As for the lure that is what legends are made of. If the hook was gone so be it but the bend in the spoon could be magic. Just sayin'. I had an army truck spoon about 4 years ago that was stepped on and it was the best fishing spoon I had all year lol. You just never know.

Fished the hump with the family today. Didn't get out early but had the lines in the water well before the low slack after setting crab and prawn traps. Trolled 4,rods running all spoons as I didn't bring any bait. Had 2 undersized on a mini Irish cream at 164 and 130 and landed a 9 pounder on a 3.5 inch Irish cream as I was pulling the gear for a change up. Had the gear up to 20 feet and was just pulling my stacking release clip when the bottom rod started to hammer down after a good scrapy fight we landed it in the net. That was it for us, but sounds like some nice fish were taken using bait. Had a good set on the prawns getting 135 in one trap on the first set with the square traps and twenty on the set with the two commercial round traps. Think my round traps are duds. Crabbing was deadliest catch in the harbor. Beauty day out there, going out again tomorrow .

Was a beautiful day out there today. Targeted the low slack and managed to boat a 12 lber. That was it but released half dozen unders. Gear wasn't working today as all action came on bait. Fishy depth for me was 75. After CZ's successful trip and report, will be headed out bright an early for tomorrows 830 slack. Thanks for the report CZ.

I have what I believe is pretty good sounder a airmar p 66 and a raymarine e 120 and I never mark bait balls of the south end of Bowen, I may not have it set up right, I don't know, I do pick up the bottom though.

Tough go Nick but that is what shakedowns are all about....good work Chubby, that is what we want to hear...

widow maker

fished the hump yesterday,no fish in the box and got a few prawns ,but like everyone said it was a beauty day, ****** part was hitting my first widow maker , scared the poop out of me, biggest bang I 've heard on my alum hull, looked back and thought it was a 45 gal.drum, thought for sure the water was going to start coming in. Thankfully all systems were still working. So anyone going to the hump watch out for large inverted log (widow maker)
1.5 miles east and 2.5 miles south of Roger Curtis I,m sure it,s still lurking , will have to get some of those flags for tagging dead heads . Will be crawling under the boat later today to see what damage was done.
Cheers
DPP_0003.jpg
DPP_0004.jpg
DPP_0005.jpg

Had a good set on the prawns getting 135 in one trap on the first set with the square traps and twenty on the set with the two commercial round traps. Think my round traps are duds. Crabbing was deadliest catch in the harbor. Beauty day out there, going out again tomorrow .

I seem to have the same problem, only 20 prawns per set on the round commercial traps. Are you using the 18" square vinyl coated prawn traps like the sell at Berry's?

prawn traps

I seem to have the same problem, only 20 prawns per set on the round commercial traps. Are you using the 18" square vinyl coated prawn traps like the sell at Berry's?

The Black Square ones are by far the best traps to use beats the net traps any day the only drawback is storage.The netted traps stretch out and are too light plus difficult to weigh them down.With prawns you cannot have any trap movement or the prawns will not go in. Extra line and a weight in front of your traps and in the traps are recommended.If there is any swell and your using a big scotchman it will lift the taps up and down do to win current and waves. Ok guys back to my gross taxes hope to get out there soon =)

Spent the morning fishing the hump. It's on guys! Good time to call in sick, i'd say. Fishing solo, lost the first fish after a strong run at the boat. Lines back down land thr 2nd, bout 9 lb marble. 3rd had on for 15 seconds and off. Bonked the 3rd 12lb red and i'm done. Dealing with that side of the boat packing the rod stowing gear starboard rod starts hammerin. Good little scrap, tail it and release. Was about 11-12 lb red. Man been waitin for this and theyre finally here!

Hope to get out tomorrow. Oh, all on anchovy didnt try gear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back