2013 Vancouver, Howe Sound and Sunshine Coast Fishing Reports Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was out there from 3-6 today too. No bites for me. Ran chovies and silver horde irish cream spoons from 65-110 ft. Saw one landed next to me that looked decent.

seems to be most these fish are caught before noon the last few days...

time to work the night shift and fish the day shift lol

I was out for the first time on Sunday. It was the maiden voyage in my new boat. Got a late start with the intention of just really doing a trial run, as I had my wife and our new 4.5 month baby on board. Our plan was to launch a Porteau, but the tide was too low to get the new boat in. Drove to Sunset and put her in the water.

Was pleased to find virtually no wind, so made our way out to the Hump. Started trolling and for the first 2 hours nothing for us. Saw 1 or 2 fish caught around us. Then at 3 PM had our first hit at 140' on choive that didn't stick. Then saw a boat next to us bang one and then another 5 minutes later. We then hit our first fish about 10 minutes later, about an 8 or 9 pounder at 100' feet on a Silver Horde Double Glow. Got the lines back down and 5 minutes later hit the second fish at 100' feet again on a choive. It was about a 12 pounder. All our action was between 3:30 and 4 PM. Fished until 5 PM, but no more action for us.

When I cleaned the fish they were full of 3 to 4 inch herring in the stomach. One was a red and the other a white.

Finished up the day with some crabs and prawns. All in all a great start for the new boat!

Attachments

• Dad and Sharliz Compressed.jpg
    Dad and Sharliz Compressed.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 522
Last edited by a moderator:
Fished the Hump on Tuesday but no hits from 10am to 1600, also the QA with no luck. I think my problem was playing with the new gopro (underwater action) and forgot I was out fishing, hmmmm , maybe leave the gopro on shore next time .
Hey Blackmax u out today ??

Last edited by a moderator:
Heard from Blackmax that he hit a 15 pounder this morning at the Hump. I am sure he will have a full report for us later.

I was out for the first time on Sunday. It was the maiden voyage in my new boat. Got a late start with the intention of just really doing a trial run, as I had my wife and our new 4.5 month baby on board. Our plan was to launch a Porteau, but the tide was too low to get the new boat in. Drove to Sunset and put her in the water.

Was pleased to find virtually no wind, so made our way out to the Hump. Started trolling and for the first 2 hours nothing for us. Saw 1 or 2 fish caught around us. Then at 3 PM had our first hit at 140' on choive that didn't stick. Then saw a boat next to us bang one and then another 5 minutes later. We then hit our first fish about 10 minutes later, about an 8 or 9 pounder at 100' feet on a Silver Horde Double Glow. Got the lines back down and 5 minutes later hit the second fish at 100' feet again on a choive. It was about a 12 pounder. All our action was between 3:30 and 4 PM. Fished until 5 PM, but no more action for us.

When I cleaned the fish they were full of 3 to 4 inch herring in the stomach. One was a red and the other a white.

Finished up the day with some crabs and prawns. All in all a great start for the new boat!

Great report and story..... Good to hear the boat worked well and the family could enjoy the day.
Thanks for sharing and slipping in the picture of you and the babe.
Teach them young to enjoy the boat that way, when they are older, it's second nature.
GLG

Fished the Hump on Tuesday but no hits from 10am to 1600, also the QA with no luck. I think my problem was playing with the new gopro (underwater action) and forgot I was out fishing, hmmmm , maybe leave the gopro on shore next time .
Hey Blackmax u out today ??

Yes, I was first boat out I believe . Sadly I only had 2 firecracker chovies and the rest were large, I caught the 15lb by 7 a.m. then an undersize within 15 minutes. My fish was similar to Cohochinooks and was full of the small herring as well. I saw all action about the middle of Bowen and right over the hump fishing at 110 feet down. Long leader I hear is doing well from what I heard on the radio but obviously matching the bait size is key and I was too lazy to go to Berry's but will load up soon. My parents the neighbours and ourselve's each have about 4 lbs of nice red spring for the bbq. :cool:

Great report and story..... Good to hear the boat worked well and the family could enjoy the day.
Thanks for sharing and slipping in the picture of you and the babe.
Teach them young to enjoy the boat that way, when they are older, it's second nature.
GLG

Thanks GLG.

Heard today one boat has caught 6 all smaller, couple of miles west of hump.
Looks like I'll be out Friday morning for another go with small choves, I'd rather catch a small red winter than a big white spring for eating.

Happy to say the skunk is off the boat. First blood touched the deck of Bad Habits in the form of an absolutely beautiful 17 lb female chinook. Not long after we lost a smaller fish but quickly picked up its swimming mate, at a healthy 8 pounds. Here's some shots of the big girl. Great day on tha water.
TKO and Irish Cream were the killers.

Cheers!

How windy is it out there? going to fish the hump at the high if its not to bad.

got reports from a bud behind bowen. took him about an hour to get out of Van Harbor. He says its nasty out there. But did manage a nice 15 pounda in the sheltered waters behind bowen NE of Keats

Was he closer to Tunsel or Hut?

Nasty indeed heading out of the harbour this a.m. but manageable out off the Hump. Quick fish this a.m. ... picked up my two (a 16 and a 9) in an hour and am just back at the dock now. Trip out was right into the wind and trip back in was a quick surf with the tailwind. Had 3 lines down at 140, 120 and 100 feet and all with anchovies. Both fish were at 100 feet.

Nasty indeed heading out of the harbour this a.m. but manageable out off the Hump. Quick fish this a.m. ... picked up my two (a 16 and a 9) in an hour and am just back at the dock now. Trip out was right into the wind and trip back in was a quick surf with the tailwind. Had 3 lines down at 140, 120 and 100 feet and all with anchovies. Both fish were at 100 feet.

My fish were at 100 feet the other day as well, has calmed a bit out there. My friend is in a flat bottom 19ft. North River with a jet drive , he's a sucker for punishment for sure.

My fish and all I've heard taking was right around 100'. I fished 80 to 120 with 3 rods.

Mudguts, he was in the direction of Hutt.

got reports from a bud behind bowen. took him about an hour to get out of Van Harbor. He says its nasty out there. But did manage a nice 15 pounda in the sheltered waters behind bowen NE of Keats

Just back in.. Picked up the 15lber on the back side of Hutt 2 minutes after we set the gear on a irish cream spoon @ 90'.. did a few more tacks with nothing to show.. Moved over to hole in the wall and worked that area with 4 other boats for about and hour.. Pulled the gear and ran for the crab traps off Jericho which were stupid full... Picked and choose our limit.. Soild Day!!

"Teja" what type of boat you have??? Good on ya for making it out there.. I pulled the pin on the hump and ran for cover..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back